• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why does everyone run the Mazda/v8 F150 manual instead of a T/5?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The T5 is easily stronger than the A4LD used behind the 2.9 V6, and probably stronger than the later A4LD used behind the 4.0 V6.
That is a high bar :icon_rofl:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
That is a high bar :icon_rofl:
I'm just making the comparison that the A4LD was used in many 4x4 Rangers, so it wouldn't be completely unreasonable to attempt to run a T5 with a divorced transfer case. Especially if you upgraded the front bearing support to a steel unit, and the rear cluster gear support plate to a steel unit using a T5Z as your base.

It's all hypothetical at this point anyway.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm just making the comparison that the A4LD was used in many 4x4 Rangers, so it wouldn't be completely unreasonable to attempt to run a T5 with a divorced transfer case. Especially if you upgraded the front bearing support to a steel unit, and the rear cluster gear support plate to a steel unit using a T5Z as your base.

I was just thinking my gutless 2.8 turned one of those inside out, strapping anything comparable to that on a V8 and hoping for success is kind of funny.

Agreed though, the T5 is better than a A4LD. Even in the Mustang they didn't put the A4LD behind the 5.0 for a reason.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5

T5 might be neat behind a v6, we're in the V8 conversion sub though so my opinions were based around putting a T5 behind a 5.0

If I'm trans swapping on a V6, I'm making an adapter plate to put a NP435/T18/T19 behind it :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For a mild 2wd street truck I think the T-5 is fine.

However I don’t think they are worth the hassle to convert to 4wd divorced or otherwise.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
T5's are very strong for a compact manual transmission. They only get a bad name because of guys picking up junkyard units and expecting them to last doing clutch drops and speed shifting on the drag strip with a ton of grip, and that gets even worse when people are buying them second hand and they have no data tag on them to indicate they came out of a 4cyl Mustang.. The weakest of the T5's used in Fords.

They're more than acceptable behind a mild V8. I've read numerous stories on several Mustang forums of guys picking up used T5's and flogging them on the drag strip and getting around 2 seasons out of each unit behind a 300-400+ HP V8.

As I said, the most important (and cheap) upgrades a guy can do to increase the longevity of the T5 is to install a steel front bearing support and a steel rear cluster gear support plate. T5's exploding comes from the rear cluster gear bearing race being constantly driven downward/outward. The forces of the gears trying to shove each other apart under power eventually eggs out the aluminum case around the rear bearing race. The gears start to drive apart to the point it knocks gear teeth off, jams up the gears, and possibly explodes.

This guy probably knows more about T5's than 99% of the people out there:

He has several videos on installing the G-Force gear sets for higher horsepower applications. He also has videos on Sierra Cosworth T5 stuff..

GB :)

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
we have used nwc t5 4x4 in a few swaps. sourced from amc eagles at one point allowing hydro clutch. depends on what bell and mods one is willing to do.

for 2wd the t5 was pretty common. theres just more of one then the other readily available at pick n pulls. finding a windsor mustang with v8 power in an open yard is hard to do where i shop....very rare. adjusters handle them through shelf yards generally speaking.

Vwright14

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I totally wasnt thinking that 4wd T5 thing...i was being selfish and only thinking of 2wd's lol. Of course I'm planning a 5.0 swap in a 2wd that's currently a 2.3 5spd. I just see and know of way more rebuild and strengthening kits for T5's and the the F150/ranger 5spds. I figured the mechanical conversion for a T5 would be fairly straightforward but I could be totally wrong of course.
Ive been through several T5's and its cousins having owned like 9 Mustang's....some good...some bad lol.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok I will admit I didnt use a T5 in my 2wd because I didnt want to get a drive shaft made and I didnt want to move the crossmember for the trans. As for a 4x4 application you could in theory use a dodge setup like the 70's powerwagon and get a divorce shaft made and use a dodge transfer case but thats more custom fab than most people want to do. And could cost twice a much to do.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
With the MDL T5 front shift tail housing I didn't have to move my crossmember at all. If you place your engine front-to-back correctly, it will line up perfectly. Though most people won't spend the money for that tailhousing.. With all of the advantages if offers, I felt it was well worth the money.

Vwright14

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
With the MDL T5 front shift tail housing I didn't have to move my crossmember at all. If you place your engine front-to-back correctly, it will line up perfectly. Though most people won't spend the money for that tailhousing.. With all of the advantages if offers, I felt it was well worth the money.
MDL T5?

Vwright14

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals