• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Why does everyone run the Mazda/v8 F150 manual instead of a T/5?

Vwright14

Reaction score
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So im just wondering why pretty much everyone says the V8 f150 manual is the way to go when V8 swapping and keeping the stick? Since the T5 and its brothers are so much readily available and easily stronger? Is it the hole in the floor? The trans tunnel? The pedal or boosters? Just for reference I have a 95 2wd 4cyl manual im planning the swap on.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Alot of those doing v8 swaps are 4 wheel drive...

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Are 4wd T5's easy to come by? I haven't seen any when looking through junkyards

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
A friend of mine that v8 swapped his early 2000's 2wd Mazda is running a fox body t 5 tranny the hole is a bit off in the floor and the t5 is mechanical clutch linkage compared to the ranger hydraulic that is all i remember being different off the top of my head also t5's are bad for synchro's.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've never seen a 4x4 T5. T4 and T-18, but never a T5.

Also the M5OD-R1 from the Rangers is basically a 7/8th scale version of the M5OD-R2 from the F-150. The shifter is in roughly the right spot, the hydraulic hook up is the same (where many a T5 came with a cable clutch that Rangers never had), the length is off, but close, and if you get the one from the 4.2 with a shallower bell than the V8s had it fits almost perfectly.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've never seen a 4x4 T5. T4 and T-18, but never a T5.

Also the M5OD-R1 from the Rangers is basically a 7/8th scale version of the M5OD-R2 from the F-150. The shifter is in roughly the right spot, the hydraulic hook up is the same (where many a T5 came with a cable clutch that Rangers never had), the length is off, but close, and if you get the one from the 4.2 with a shallower bell than the V8s had it fits almost perfectly.
+1

M5R2 is stronger than a stock T-5 also.

For a street truck the T-5 is probably geared better and has a ton of aftermarket support for more strength and shifters.

For mine I picked the one that is geared like a truck and that I could hang a wide variety of transfer cases on the back of.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
One could pick up a modern T5Z spec and it's marginally stronger than the earlier versions. Though I seriously doubt it's stronger than the M5ODR2. It definitely has some nice upgrades though.

I run a T5Z with a billet Tilton 6000 series slave cylinder, so that eliminates the mechanical clutch actuation. https://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/internal_hydraulic_slave.htm
http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/Ford-T5-T-O-bearing-Tilton-6000-Slip-on-10p508.htm

I also ordered it with the front shift/rear socket tail housing. That puts the shifter in the stock Ranger location, so no hacking up the floor. It all hooks directly up to the stock Ranger clutch master cylinder via a braided hydraulic hose and adapter.

Shifts like butter. Basically a Foxbody in truck form, but lighter and faster, if you can get it to hook. But be ready to pay for it.. http://transmission.moderndriveline.com/speed/pc/TREMEC-Super-Duty-T5-5-Speed-with-Front-Shift-Rear-Socket-conversion-55p6.htm

Front shift, means the shifter is closer to the trans case, and rear socket means the shifter is closest to the rear of the shifter hole. You can get a front shift/front socket if desired. Mine uses a billet shifter for a Mustang II application apparently, with an offset shifter lever adapter and Hurst lever.

https://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/front-shift-T5-tailhousing.htm

And as others mentioned, there is no version of the T5 for a 4x4 application.

GB :)

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
It's a shame there's not an easily accessible and affordable 4wd T56 in a Windsor pattern. That would be solid.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
It's a shame there's not an easily accessible and affordable 4wd T56 in a Windsor pattern. That would be solid.
Too weak of a transmission. It was offered in Jeep CJs and Chevy S10s in a 4x4 variant, but don't stand up well on anything but a pavement princess.

"A strengthened version of the T5 called the "World Class" was available and parts were formerly available to address some of the transmission's weaknesses. However, even with these, splines shear and the cases stretch under torque and no such upgrades could prevent some failures."

"The Jeep T4 & T5 was factory-married to the Jeep Dana Spicer Model 300 transfer case."

"Because of the weaknesses of this transmission, we do not make adapter assemblies to join it to other transfer cases."

"Because of the transmission's weak service record behind stock Jeep powerplants, we do not offer any conversion to V6 or V8 power. This is essentially a small car transmission in a truck. The customer's time and efforts are best spent converting to a stronger transmission."

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Too weak of a transmission. It was offered in Jeep CJs and Chevy S10s in a 4x4 variant, but don't stand up well on anything but a pavement princess.

T-45 > T-5

Mod motor Mustang trans, Mod motors do not go into a Ranger without a fight so a T-45 is a rare beast in a Ranger.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
T-45 > T-5

Mod motor Mustang trans, Mod motors do not go into a Ranger without a fight so a T-45 is a rare beast in a Ranger.
Who said anything about a T45? Please reread what I posted

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Who said anything about a T45? Please reread what I posted
I got off on my transmissions like you did. Fastpakr was talking about the T-56 not a T-5.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I just jumped to other transmissions that -could- be used. That one's always been a dream option.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
If you just gotta have a T5 and you have a 4x4 with a long enough wheelbase, you could always try a divorced transfer case setup.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/s97-t5-conversion.933071/

Advance Adapters used to make a kit for doing just that, and it used a cleaned up Jeep tail housing.

The T5 is easily stronger than the A4LD used behind the 2.9 V6, and probably stronger than the later A4LD used behind the 4.0 V6.

With T5 transmissions, it's all about how you treat them. They don't like an owner repeatedly giving them large shock loads from clutch drops, etc.. So large mud tires and bouncing over rocks wouldn't be a great idea with a T5 if going 4x4 with one. That being said, a TON of guys all across the country/world have been beating the snot out of junkyard T5's on the dragstrip for years. They just know that it's gonna fail so they keep spares. A T5 lasting with abuse is truly on a case-by-case basis..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals