• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who knows about Antique tractors?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
My buddy has a full fleet of equipment, (dump trucks, backhoes, loaders, etc) and its all new equipment so he wanted to get at least 1 antique to go along with them, so he finally found a dozer, its supposedly a 1964 john deere 430C. but when i google "1964 john deere 430" i just get farm tractors, and when I type "1964 john deere 430 dozer" i barely get any results. so I was wondering if any of you could tell from the pics if its a different year or generation or if the stickers on her are completely wrong?

thanks for any help.

Also, my pop has a 1939 Caterpillar D4 that I was gonna try to get off him, its only been used for the PTO to run his sawmill for the last ~25-30 years, and before that she must of only been used for towing wood and equipment because shes still in wicked shape for being over 70 years old.
she came from the factory without a blade, so i was wondering if that would make her less desirable for collectors in the resale market? if she was re painted and had all the little stuff fixed up what do you guys think it would be worth?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How sure are you it is a '64?

The common 430's ceased production in '60 and they had a crawler variant that was very similar sized although the nose was different. That could be a farm tractor vs industrial difference too or maybe something somebody changed. Even as a crawler the green and yellow ones are ag and the straight yellow are industrial. The dash, hood (with bodyline) and running gear look very similar. Is it a two cylinder?

Here is the specs and serial # lookup for the older 430s.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/1/4/5144-john-deere-430c.html

The "New Generation" came out in '60, curvier sheetmetal and the two cylinders went away.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/5/57-john-deere-1010c.html

From a collectors point of view, I would think a nice clean D4 without a blade would be worth more than one with a blade that has been passed around construction sites and ran in the ground several times. The lighter weight would also make it easier to haul which is a plus. Value... no clue.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/002/9/8/2982-caterpillar-d4.html

We rebuilt the mag for the starting engine of a D7, parts were terrible to find and fund. I don't know of the D4 has a gas starting engine or not but keep that in mind.

I am not much of a crawler guy but I research weird and wacky farm equipment for a living...

Last edited:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
How sure are you it is a '64?

The common 430's ceased production in '60 and they had a crawler variant that was very similar sized although the nose was different. That could be a farm tractor vs industrial difference too or maybe something somebody changed. Even as a crawler the green and yellow ones are ag and the straight yellow are industrial. The dash, hood (with bodyline) and running gear look very similar. Is it a two cylinder?

Here is the specs and serial # lookup for the older 430s.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/1/4/5144-john-deere-430c.html

The "New Generation" came out in '60, curvier sheetmetal and the two cylinders went away.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/5/57-john-deere-1010c.html

From a collectors point of view, I would think a nice clean D4 without a blade would be worth more than one with a blade that has been passed around construction sites and ran in the ground several times. The lighter weight would also make it easier to haul which is a plus. Value... no clue.

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/002/9/8/2982-caterpillar-d4.html

We rebuilt the mag for the starting engine of a D7, parts were terrible to find and fund. I don't know of the D4 has a gas starting engine or not but keep that in mind.

I am not much of a crawler guy but I research weird and wacky farm equipment for a living...
Thank you sir, yes she is a 2 cylinder, so guessing that means its older than a '60?
I'll try to find the serial number off her today.

Sent from hell using Tapatalk... on my iphone

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
160634 is the serial number.. Can't find anywhere to scan it though

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you sir, yes she is a 2 cylinder, so guessing that means its older than a '60?
I'll try to find the serial number off her today.
She be a 1960 model per the serial. :icon_thumby:

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yeah just found it last night. Thanks for all your help man

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals