• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

who knows 2001 5.0 efi wiring

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my 94 ranger has the complete engine, harness and ecu from a 2001 explorer i ran it 2 weeks ago on friday and it ran perfect, im on the final stretch of the build and suddenly on sunday it wouldnt run. It has great fuel pressure, good spark, and spins great. ive been reading my chiltens book and it said to check the power at the cam position sensor and i seem to have none! Also, i found that the chassis ground when checked with a power probe pulsates with the key on but it perfect while the key is off. I am not sure if the ground did this before it stopped running or if it has something to do with the lack of power to the cam position sensor. Any ideas where to look, the books wiring diagram is not that great.

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Where is your ground located? Is your ground good and tight and making a good connection. Bad grounds can cause all kinds of weird problems. Do you have a good ground by the ECM ? I would take your grounds lose and clean them and make sure there is no paint under the ground so it makes good contact.

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yeah ive checked all of the grounds even unbolted them and cleaned the surfaces. I got thinking last night if a the pcm power relay is sticking that may keep the cam sensor from getting power right?

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
so i have come to the conclusion that it is a random PATS issue. I have no injector pulse and when the key is on the theft light goes from solid to a fast flash.

v8nick

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Might be time to get a new key. when the light flashes, it's not recognizing the key. Could be the key, PATS module, or even a wiring issue.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I bet 99% that its pats...I forget the sequence, but you turn the key on and off less than 1 second apart for either 5 or 6 times. One the last time, leave it on til the theft light stops rapid flashing, and its programmed. Turn it off, wait 10 seconds, then try to start it (It's been about 8 years since I have programmed this way, so I might be off on the sequence) If that doesn't work, talk to a ford tech (not the first person that answers the phone, the parts guy, or the ticket writer, talk to an actual tech)
SVT

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
heres the catch 22. The column is still the 94 but the lock cylinder is the 2001. I had to file fit the lock cylinder to fit the old column and modify it to fit the key reader. Since all of this seemed necissary at the time i took apart the 2001 explorer ignition block (since it was not compatible with the column) and hooked everything up to toggle switches. Everything worked fine for a week straight after doing this. I tried using my predator to read codes if there is any but it will not even real. I have never had an issue with using the predator as a code reader on any obd-II ford. If theres a short somewhere would that make it not read. Also, with the key on the engine ground is good, showing 0.0 volts but the chassis ground shows 0.5 volts and seems to have an intermitten pulse but when the key is off both grounds show perfect

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
when the switches are on the theft light turns on then begins to flash rapidly. The truck will crank and will not start. It has great fuel pressure but no injector pulse. when i called the ford shop they said that it is a pats issue. It seams weird that the issue just happened after sitting for 2 days

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I agree, its PATS if the theft light is flashing rapidly. Try re-introducing the key to the PATS unit, it should start then. If that doesnt work, I have a possible solution for you, but it would involve a little work...
SVT

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Still won't start lol I've been reading a lot and from what I gather sniper special forces tuner can shut off pats. I'm pretty tempted to buy it so I can tune it properly

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
SCT Tuner will do the same thing, and thats what I have...
SVT

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Would you recommend set over sniper

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I don't have experience with sniper, but I do with SCT. I can tell you that if you need a custom tune with SCT, email them or call them with the specs you have and what you need, and they will email you a specific tune with you requests, you download it to your tuner via USB, then upload it to your truck. This is included with the purchase of your SCT tuner so it won't cost extra for a special tune..
SVT

85mustangman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can I modify the tune that it comes with like shutting out rear o2 sensors

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, you should be able to...Would you be interested in swapping for an 89 mustang harness??
SVT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals