• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who here likes the AR platform?

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Cause I'm a huge fan.

Newest build.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I'm not the biggest fan, but they are a fun toy.

Here's mine in various forms over the years.

This is it's latest incarnation. I'm still not quite happy with it.

-Jester

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It would be fun to get one but IMO they are kinda pricey for what they are.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Jester- I like your newest setup the best! I'm wanting to get a new one and when I do it'll look somethin like what you've got. This is my R-15.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348713145.912952.jpg

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic

Hey Rowdy what power scope is that? And how far away were you from that coyote when you bagged it?

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
It's a tasco 6-24 power. I was around 150 yards. He was laying down and I used a Herters 55gr fmj. I hit him on his left side and that was the exit. The bullet hit his shoulder blade and grenaded lol.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got one, and what I've used it I like it. Having what I believe is a short stroke problem, but my dad thinks it's cycling too fast. If I can get what ever it is fixed I think it'll be a fun shooter.

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Josh- what kind of clip are you using? Mine does that some times with my spare clip but feeds good with the one it came with. Try another brand of clip. It might be only that.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I still have a stripped lower...with no other parts! I bought a pistol then started buying stuff for my b2, so... yeah. I'll build it one day.

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Got one, and what I've used it I like it. Having what I believe is a short stroke problem, but my dad thinks it's cycling too fast. If I can get what ever it is fixed I think it'll be a fun shooter.
Cycling too fast is very very rarely a problem, only ever seen in full auto guns.
Short stroking is also rarely a problem. Most symptoms of short stroking are also symptoms of a malfunctioning magazine. Magazines are cheap and easy to replace. It should be the first thing you check.
90% of all AR 15 malfunctions can be attributed to malfunctioning magazines.

If your rifle truely is short stroking here are some things to check.
1. If it is a new factory rifle, just shoot it more and keep cleaning off the carrier parts and lubing them. Chances are high that it is just too new and it will take a while for the parts to wear in and become slicker. The coatings that are used on these guns cause a lot of friction but will wear in shortly. If you still are having trouble after 200-300 rounds, look for other causes.
2. Check your ammo. Try different ammo. Try your ammo in a friend’s rifle. Look for pressure signs, flatter than normal primers, firing pin dents that have been pushed back up, holes in the primer, deep extractor marks, brass that has been extruded into the extractor hole, etc.
3. Check the carrier key for leaks. Look for signs that gas has been blowing out from under the key. Check the bolts for tightness.
4. Check the gas rings. A properly functioning rifle will usually work even with the ring gaps aligned. If your rifle works when they are unaligned, but doesn't when they are aligned, look for something else that is contributing to the problem.
5. Check the alignment of the gas tube in the gas block. Also check the alignment of the gas ports of the gas block and barrel. The gas ports are small, you don't have much room for error.
6. Pull the front gas housing off and measure the diameter of the gas port. Also measure the diameter of the barrel also as the size of the hole varies with the barrel diameter. For one example, on a Colt 16" lightweight barrel the gas port diameter is usually .063"-.070".
On a Colt 16" heavy barrel the port is opened up a little to approx. .075". The distance that the port is from the muzzle will make a difference also. On 10" barrels the port needs to be a little bigger, say .093", because the pressure drops off fast after the bullet leaves the barrel.
7. Check to be sure the buffer spring is correct and lubed nicely. I grease mine to keep them quiet.
8. Check to make sure the hammer is not sticking up too far and catching the firing pin on the carrier’s way forward. I have seen this a lot on rifles that have had a 'trigger job'. Metal was removed from the front of the trigger and from the hammer hook to get a nice trigger feel, but the hammer now sits much more rotated forward and will interfere with the firing pin. This happens the most with the hammers that have the notch on the top corner.
The notch will catch on one of the rings on the back of the firing pin.
9. Check the chamber for grooves or ridges left from a damaged chamber reamer. The factory tries to get more life out of the reamer, or had someone that is rough with it and puts a nick in the cutting edges. These ridges and grooves cause more grip between the case and the chamber wall.
10. Make sure the bolt and carrier are free to move forward and backward inside the upper receiver and that everything looks like it is aligned. Make sure that the magazine isn't hitting the carrier anywhere either.

Josh- what kind of clip are you using? Mine does that some times with my spare clip but feeds good with the one it came with. Try another brand of clip. It might be only that.

-Jester

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
How did I know that magazines were going to be the first comment I received. My magazines:

1 - 30rd Thermold
1 - C Products Aluminum 30 rd
2 - C Products SS 10 rd
3 - El cheapo Sportsman's Guide steel 10-20 rd (I've all but thrown these out)

They all do the exact same thing in my rifle, regardless of how they are loaded. All but the 3 cheapos work fine in dad's AR-15, and they work better in his than they do in mine. I've also tried a couple of dad's mags (can't recall brands) with the same results.

1) I hear you about breaking it in but I've already shot a couple hundred rounds through it, and the amount that it happens is unacceptable even for a new rifle. Comparing it to dad's again but his never did this straight out of the box.

2) I've tried about 4 different brands of ammo with the same results. Dad's shot my worst ammo and it worked fine.

3-4) I've checked these out once, but I'll certainly look again

5-6) I partially suspect this. After purchasing I had the original sight style gas block replaced with a low profile version to use with a scope (flattop upper). I had this problem before the block was replaced, but that doesn't mean it was lined up right from the factory. It is the 16" barrell, just not colt.

7) I also suspect this, but not sure how to check that it is the right one. As mentioned above it's 16" barrel and had fixed stock.

8) Ordered a JARD adjustable single stage last Friday. So if that's an issue not, it shouldn't be for long.

9) Will check it as soon as I have a chance.

10) Seems to be good there. I'll double check on the magazine, but I'm 99% certain it's good.

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Nope I'm not a fan. Lmao

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
Lol no need to get so technical. He understood my point and meaning.

AmericanPride

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I prefer the new ACR and SCAR. Much better platform in my opinion

AngryLepercon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I prefer the new ACR and SCAR. Much better platform in my opinion
I agree. The two rifles on the right are colts. I have never shot them. I bought them as an investment ( non regulated)

Top on the right is a 12 gauge (head turner at the range)

Middle on the right is a 22 s&w fun and not expensive to feed (slide fire soon)

Personally. I prefer bullpups though. They fit me better. They are heavier. And just look cooler factory then most built AR's

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals