• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Who else hates rust?

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I bought my Ranger just a week ago and already broke the shackle doing some very light and slow wheeling today. I figured it would happen sooner or later after I looked at it when I bought it, but this was a little quick. Ive started cutting off the rivets and got a new hanger and shackle. Holy shit is the rust driving me nuts. I took out the spare to get in there easier and it took me 30 minutes or so to do it. The bolt that holds the spare to its carrier was seized, so it ended up twisting and breaking in half.

This has made me think about eventually pulling the bed off and grinding off all of the frame rust and coating it with something. Has anyone used a sand blaster to removed the rust? Can I use play ground sand or do i need to actually get the expensive crap made for sandblasting?

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
rust sucks.playground sand will work as long as itg is perfectly dry,but it may not have the sharp edges that commercial sand has;as such it will probably be slower.the other thing to consider is the thickness of the remaining metal on the frame.if it's too thin you are wasting your time and money.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Pretty sure there is plenty of metal left on the frame. Its a 95 with only 95k miles on it. The surface rust just looks like shit and bugs me. The body is fine besides the tail gate. The truck came from Wisconsin so i figure rust comes with the territory. I sand blasted the paint off the frame of my quad it cost me $40 in sandblasting media to do it. Took forever too. I was hoping bigger particles would do it faster. Has anyone tried quick-crete mix?

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Ever thought to use a brush ginder. Its what I use to remove rust from parts that are going to be refurnished. Thou, if it is that salt cancer that comes from the northern states, there may not be much material left. That salt cancer just flakes metal off, un-like surface rust.

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i did my 78 with wire wheel and brush and sandpaper i love the look of it all black and shiny under there.i am dooing the same with the ranger. i bought eastwood stuff for the 78' im just goin with flat black for the ranger. heres why i wouldnt do what you are dooing 1.4 bucks for a wire wheel that attaches to a drill(i bought 3 diferent kinds)
2. sandingblasting with what you are using will do the same thing.
3.you get around the same results (its up to you what to do though)

dirttrackracer

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is before (rusty jones was spraed on the truck from the factory back in 78')

this is after(its nice and black makes you truck look 10x better) i now have shiny paint and new inner fenders that are shiny

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I blasted the frame of my Ranchero with the cheaper blasting sand with good luck. Think the problem using playground sand is it's not properly sized and can/will plug the nozzel. I did the gas tank also but the sand wouldn't cut it fast enough. Switched to a black blasting media that might have cost 25% more but worked twice as fast. Saved all that was used and spread in on the driveway in the Winter.
Dave

michowski

Reaction score
Just tear your truck down to the frame. Have every single peice rhino sprayed and be done with it. Strip your body down to bare metal and rhino blast it all.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
To answer your title question...I also hate rust.

prefab08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
rust is my mortal enemy....... they spread strait salt on the roads in the winter ! my 08 has rust its only 2 years old jeeez!

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I got the shackle and hanger replaced today. Took forever, the worst part was getting the bolt and bushing out of the leaf spring. It all came out as one, well 5 or 6 pieces really. Grinding off the rivets was cake. I got it all installed then figure out i had to take it all off again because the bolt holding the shackle to the the hanger was not accessible after the hanger is bolted to the frame. How come no one warned me? Getting the new bushing into the leaf spring also was a huge pain in the ass. Atleast its done........

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
This is 23 WI winters and then my shackles lol.
[/IMG]

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love rust! Sometimes I'll go outside to my truck in the morning and get a little rust and put it on my biscuit in the morning, good iron! LOL Rust sucks but here in TN it takes stuff along time to rust bad.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
here in TN it takes stuff along time to rust bad.
here too....sometimes it takes up to a week for a frame to rust through:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals