• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

White spark plugs!?

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I just swapped out my plugs and the old ones were a little white. I know it isn't running hot as it hardly ever goes 1/4 over C on the temp gauge. Could it be running lean? I don't think it is since I use to think it was running rich due to the strong gas smell from the exhaust but I'm not sure. I don't think there is a vacuum leak. Any ideas?

Thanks!!

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
I just swapped out my plugs and the old ones were a little white. I know it isn't running hot as it hardly ever goes 1/4 over C on the temp gauge. Could it be running lean? I don't think it is since I use to think it was running rich due to the strong gas smell from the exhaust but I'm not sure. I don't think there is a vacuum leak. Any ideas?

Thanks!!
according to my book on fullsize fords if your plug is white check to see if you have proper plug value, ignition timing, fuel octane rating[ too low], and fuel mixture[ too weak]. double checked in my camaro book to see if it was a make specific issue and chevy says the same thing. hope it helps

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's the only picture I have of the one's I just replaced. They're kind of white but more brownish tan white. They just looked more worn then anything else.
[/IMG]

EDIT: Then again, I remember I ran "Seafoam" through these about a month before they were pulled so that may have something to do with it....haha

Allen

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
That's almost exactly what mine look like. But I didn't run any sea foam, so not sure about that. Did you notice any improvements after running sea foam? I was thinking about doing that. I even think mine were the same plugs. I just put in NGK plugs this time, and have upgraded the coils and wires to Accel.

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
seafoams good for getting rid of carbon if you have a carbon problem and the tannish brown look is what you're after

WildSide

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel additives could also be the cause of the color

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
Well i don't think I have a carbon problem since i had to paint the inside of my exhaust tips so they wouldn't rust and look weird not being black inside since no carbon would build up and when i pulled the head off last winter it still looked brand new, so i guess no point in sea foam. However i do run fuel system cleaner frequently and would texaco gas with their texchron (sp) cause that since i fill up there most of the time?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to mention that the intake side (Seafoam side) was a little whiter then the exhaust side plugs. I can attribute that to the Seafom though I think. I would'nt worry to much about it right now, especially since you throw additives in your fuel regularly.

How does your engine run with the Accel coil packs? Can you notice a difference? You had to buy two right? Thanks.

Allen

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
Didn't really notice much of a difference. It seems if anything to idle better. I got them for 60 each from http://www.autopartswarehouse.com They have alot of good prices. I got my gibson exhaust and magnaflow cat all bolt on for 375.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what I think I need to do then. I've also heard of the "Screamin Demon" coil packs helping the 3.0 guys out with their idles too!

My Ranger has had this funny idle thing going for about 4 months now. It goes: ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ba-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ba-ba-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ba-ba-ta-ta-ta-ba-ta-ta-ta.

That's the best way I could describe it in writing you know....haha.

I don't have any leaks anywhere and the CEL is'nt on, but I just can't fiugre out what it is. I think it's just a matter of having high miles though, as the engine does have about 250,000 on it. Worn cam lobes?

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Accel coil packs!

Allen

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
No problem, I looked at them at auto zone and they wanted like 90 for each one. According to their website they are the only ones that make a performance coil for it, and put out like 20 or so % higher voltage, and better duration. I got a set of their wires too and really liked them, they feel and look alot better then the duralast and bosch ones i used to use.

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think MSD makes coil packs for them too, but they cost a lot more.

It's getting harder and harder to find performance parts for our model 2.3's. You can find more parts for the older style 2.3 at Esslinger or similar.

Allen

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I've noticed that too, I think I could only find MSD wires, but I keep meaning to order something from esslinger. I had my head rebuilt cause I had some leaky valves, and they shaved it a little, but I wish they would have done it more, they guy at the shop said that the cam that is in it actually is a good one for normal use.

I noticed you said you have a modified intake, how is it modified?

Hardwareman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, it's not really the intake that's modified (I should fix my sig....haha), it's the air intake that's actually custom.

When I first bought the truck the previous owner rigged it up with duct tape to hold the filter on. I just recently got fed up with the duct tape deal and had to shorten it so I did'nt have to use duct tape any more.

I need to go to AutoZone and buy a tube so I can place the filter where it needs to be actually:
[/IMG]

Allen

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I have a very similar intake for mine, but like I said before, it felt like it slowed the truck down and made it harder to drive. Is the 95 an OBDII? Its funny how different yours and my engine compartment look. Oh and was this a pic during an oil change??haha

here is my intake-

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals