• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

which rotors?

W8S SS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i just went to autozone to get some new brakes/rotors for my ranger and he asked me what axle ratio i have. how do i find this out or can someone tell me? 97 ranger supercab 4x4 4.0 automatic...hopefully that helped or PM me if you need anything else. Thanks!

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
What does the axle ratio have to do with brake rotors?

You need rotors for a 97 ranger either with or without ABS

michowski

Reaction score
I looked em up on autozone.come and the 2 ratio's they have is for 3.45 front axle ratio and everything except 3.45. You want the one thats for Except 3.45 front axle ratio. 80 bucks each. http://www.autozone.com/R,APP1105595/vehicleId,2334103/initialAction,partProductDetail/store,3554/partType,00854/shopping/partProductDetail.htm

Or since you need new rotors now is the time to get some better ones. Vented and slotted. Here you go. 155 shipped to your door. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-RANGER-95-97-4WD-D-S-ROTORS-LO-DUST-PADS-PKG_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ007QQitemZ170162098583QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I would just get stock replacements...the slotted and drilled ones tend to crack...

W8S SS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
this is for my DD so i dont need any type of aftermarket rotor, just something to stop the fuggin shaking when i stop lol

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
This question is a common one and it's uterly meaningless.

It relates to the manufacturers name for what we know as the "Hybred" D35/28 axle.

'93-97 NON-4.0 rangers with 3.45 gears came with a D35 pig with D28 guts inside it
(there being no D35 3.45 gears the "True" D35 using 3.55's instead)

The ASSumption by some programmer at whatever company wrote the parts lookup software was that because Dana calls that '93-97 "Hybred" axle a "Dana 28"
that it is the same as the '83-90 Dana 28, and that it requires the old "small bearing"
D28 rotors.
My honest heartfelt recommendation to anyone with a 1993-up Ranger is LIE to the jackass behind the counter and tell them you have 3.55's, OTHERWISE he is likely to give you the WRONG parts.

YOu must do the same thing to buy axle shaft bearings and seals
for the rear axle, because some idiot (probably the same one)
ASSumed that because a ranger is a "Truck" and the 4.0's had an 8.8" axle
that it took the same bearings and seals as an F-150....

the Rangers use 28-spline axles (like most Ford Cars)
while the F-10 (and explorers) use 31-spline axles
and thus take the larger bearings and seals.

You aren't the first one to have this question...
Lord knows I've typed this same information close to 100 times over the years...

AD

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It doesn't sound nearly as bad as the nightmare I've gone through with my clutch master cylinder. Every place I went to, when I asked them for a 1998 MC they gave me a firewall mounted one that look like it was from a late 80s early 90s Ranger. I had to get a special listing for my year, which for some reason does not show up on their computers. I eventually gave them the part number and sure enough it was the right MC.

Auto parts store computers SUCK. My M5OD swap would have been doen months ago if I had got the right MC.

W8S SS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for all the replies and the autoparts stores computers DO suck! oreilly's has only one listing for the rotors and autozone has diff. axle rotors listed. i also wanted wiper relays and autozone doesnt list them and referred me to ford whereas oreillys had them in stock for like $6 a piece. what gives? long story short, my rotors have been turned before and were cracked and grooved really really bad but i got new brakes on and everything tonight and feels great! now onto the wiper/cruise control problem and thats it!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals