• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which radiator hose should I use?

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I put a 4.0 heavy duty cooling radiator from a 92 explorer in my 86 Ranger and I've ran into some issues with my upper hose. The inlet on the 4.0 radiator is angled left unlike the original inlet so I'm not sure what hose to get. My original doesn't fit, and the flex hose I used for a bit can't bend enough so the alternator fan blades gouged a divot in it.
20230131_142440_HDR.jpg

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think a hose from a 1st gen explorer is what most guys run.

Just get one for like a 93 4.0 explorer

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think a hose from a 1st gen explorer is what most guys run.

Just get one for like a 93 4.0 explorer
The explorer hoses are way too long and aren't angled right

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1.5"ID StainlessFlex is a good option for custom Radiator Hoses:
* easy to route+bend+shape+cut
* slightly increases cooling capacity via metal corrugations
I use short sections of 1.5"RubberRadiatorHose+DoubledUpStainlessWormClamps as couplings & heatshields,
instead of the cheesey\cheap Chrome Couplings+Clamps that come with these kits.

2001.Ford_Cool.Hose_Radi.Uppr+Lowr_SSFlexMod.GIF

2001.Ford_Cool.Hose_Radi.Uppr+Lowr_SSFlexKit.GIF

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I used a 4.0 upper hose and cut it to fit the 2.9, Gates 21897. About 1/3 of the hose (the end with the most bends in it) isn't used.
Do you have a picture of how that fits? I don't really see how that would fit just from the picture and I'm tired of buying hoses and returning them :LOL:

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
1.5"ID StainlessFlex is a good option for custom Radiator Hoses:
* easy to route+bend+shape+cut
* slightly increases cooling capacity via metal corrugations
I use short sections of 1.5"RubberRadiatorHose+DoubledUpStainlessWormClamps as couplings & heatshields,
instead of the cheesey\cheap Chrome Couplings+Clamps that come with these kits.

View attachment 88157
View attachment 88156
1.5" is too big for the thermostat housing end. It's 1.5" on the radiator end and 1 3/8" on the thermostat housing end

kxri318

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My BII already had a 4.0L 2-core radiator in it when I bought it (was put in by a PO). When I changed all the hoses maybe 8 years ago, I'm almost certain I used upper & lower hoses made for a '94 4.0L automatic Explorer, since I can't think of another vehicle that I would've otherwise had to order the hoses for (and that is what the radiator originally was made for as well).

I tried looking for markings on the hose, but unfortunately I couldn't find any numbers on it. I think they were either Gates brand, or maybe Dayco. Sorry I don't have more-definite info for you.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1.5" is too big for the thermostat housing end. It's 1.5" on the radiator end and 1 3/8" on the thermostat housing end
StainlessFlexHose kits come with several rubber adaptors; one of them will likely work.
Or considering 1 3/8"ID is not much smaller than 1.5"ID,
wrap the smaller HoseBarb with several rounds of TeflonTape,
before installing the 1.5"ID Hose, then use good quality DoubledUp WormClamps.

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm glad I ran across this thread and that it's relatively current as I'm experiencing similar issues...and didn't understand quite why but now it's starting to make sense. If that wasn't cryptic enough...allow me to explain! :ROFLMAO:

My '88 Bronco II came with an Alloyworks radiator already installed. Checking their website, they state that it fits '85-'94 Bronco II/Ranger/Explorer .

I was in the process of flushing my cooling system (and snapping a thermostat housing bolt in the block, but that's a whole other story...) when I removed the lower radiator hose a section of PVC inexplicable (at least to me at the time) fell out with the hose which was quite gnarly and had been obviously cut with a rusty, dull butter knife...

IMG_3217 - Copy.JPG

After reading this thread and after wrestling with it yesterday, it's making sense...kind of at least!

I'll refill and leak/pressure test my cooling system today, but I currently have a Gates universal 1.5-inch (25478) on the lower radiator hose and Motorcraft part number E67A-8B274-BC on the upper radiator hose. Before you check that for application/fit, apparently that's the part number for the LOWER radiator hose. I attempted to replace it with a Gates equivalent (21613) and it wasn't remotely close. You'll notice in the picture that it's stretched/stressed where it goes into the radiator inlet and slightly collapsed/oval; but it fits. I JUST checked that universal Gates on the lower radiator and it's snug on both the water pump and radiator...which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me if the water pump is 1 3/8ths and the radiator is 1 1/2...but that's why I'll be testing it here shortly!

IMG_3231 - Copy.jpg

IMG_3230 - Copy.jpg

I'm a SUPER noob at this Ranger/Bronco II/Explorer thing so please bear with me. If this works, I'll let y'all know here momentarily, but if it doesn't I do like the option of custom/cut to fit hose that @DILLARD000 suggested, but understanding this is a popular/common modification I'm surprised someone has chimed with Ford/OEM/Motorcraft part numbers needed to do this on the older vehicles with differently oriented radiator inlet/outlets...it's hardly plug and play...

EDIT: I also wanted to than @4x4junkie and @Paulos for helping to fill in some blanks! I'm retired and have nothing but free time so I'm willing to take the time to try any/everything and determine whether or not it works!

Peter Griffin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Test fire done, checking for power steering noise/leaks and coolant leaks...

As seen in the picture above I do NOT currently have a fan as I removed the stock and have a new radiator (same one from Alloy Works, just brand new...don't ask!) with an electric fan ready to install next. I'm restarting my flush process over again because the broken thermostat housing bolt left the system open (I blocked it off with shop towels, but y'all get it...) and I figure it wouldn't hurt. I wanted to see if the hoses leaked, particularly the lower hose with the Gates universal part in place.

It did not and I let it idle until the thermostat opened which was right between the "O" and "R" of the "NORMAL" gauge reading. Without a fan to cool things off I shut it down with the heater blasting to shed off some heat.

Hardly a comprehensive test, especially considering peak summer temps here can exceed 115 🥵 but so far, so good. I'd like to check out that hose that @Paulos mentioned for the upper radiator hose and if that's sexier fit I just might call it a day...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals