• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which one?

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On my 2004 Ranger, one of the lesser projects was to order/replace the amber side parking light on the driver's side.... It had a hole about the size of a quarter in it, and I found a decent priced replacement amber lens. Yesterday, I had a break in some of the other work so I pulled the headlight, and removed the two screws to pull the amber light assembly thinking this was the "turn signal" and got another education.... I got it removed without much of an argument, and removed the socket assembly, again, with not much of an argument, and then installed the socket in the new lens fixture... and started to put it back together when I thought it might be a good idea to check it out to make sure everything worked... That is when I found out that it was not the turn signal but a "parking light" I think they called it and in the old days we called it a "running light." Sure enough the bulb was burned out.... So I removed it..... and then was dismayed a bit because there was no part number on the bulb..... leading to research on the Internet and it didn't take long to find the total listing of light bulbs for this Ranger... I tried looking at images of the 194 the listing indicated and it sure looked right.... So I started looking at a few of the local parts stores... geez $$$$.... Of all places, the best deal for a two pack of 194s was at Menards (local home improvement store) for under $4.... so the plan is to buy them but when I accessed this forum this morning and searched to make sure this bulb was correct, a link/picture to an Ebay seller came up... It looks right, but I thought I would run this by everyone because when you get to the Ebay site it does not have a "make sure this fits your vehicle" process like most do... Check out the number on the bulb... maybe the 194 is a non halogen bulb and the Ebay one says it is LED .... .... Here are the two links and any help would be appreciated......

Menards....

Ebay seller.....

I am not in a big hurry but would like to get the parking assembly and headlight assembly back in place today.... and PS.... as always, when I looked for the 194 bulbs online, the price variation was unreal again....

Will buy the two pack at Menards today because I need some other hardware/bolts/washers for the bumper (stainless steel) and I might as well try the 194s.... but will order 10 of these off Ebay for the future...

PS... I always hear that you should replace the bulb on the the other side because if one burns out, usually the other is not far behind, but in this case, I won't because the failure was obviously do to the hole in the lens allowing the elements to destroy that bulb....

Have a good one....

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
194 is the correct bulb. Rockauto has them for 14 cents apiece.

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey..... thanks.... I also wrote to the ebay seller who had the other bulbs 10 for about $5...... and it was/is a total auto store I think and he knew his stuff... said the 194 was the size of a pea and the other one he was selling were not the same... about the size of a quarter.... I went to Menards, bought two for a very respectable $4 (two pack) and they have their 15% off sale... I didn't think that was too bad... I go to Rock Auto often to look at items to get an idea on the actual value of an item as a baseline more/less and compare that price to other retailers who are selling the same item. The problem with Rock Auto is the shipping cost..... What I have found often are some excessive pricing.... you get what you pay for but when the item is identical it does pay to shop around.... By the way... I did install the 194 yesterday in the new lens assembly and put it all back together.... Also put one shim in the new fender to bring the alignment on the driver's side back to specs. It was a good day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals