• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Drums should I buy

Patrologia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L Edge
Transmission
Manual
I'm not really looking for a performance upgrade, just normal driving and normal braking.
Pretty much everything in my drums needs to be replaced, and I figure at that point, I might as well replace the drums themselves too, especially with as much rust as is on them.
For whatever reason, it looks like getting the drums from a local dealer is actually cheaper than Napa/Autozone/O'Reilly. Are the OEM better, as they would be in most cases? The aftermarket don't look like performance upgrades to me, just stock replacement. Or, are the OEM known to be crap? For what it's worth, the pricing that I'm seeing is $46 at Ford, $66 Napa, $58 AZ, and $55 OR. I'm willing to go to Advance also, just havent checked them yet.

2004 Ranger 4x4 with 10" drums.

I'm open to suggestions or hearing about your experience.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
If those are truly Motorcraft drums... that would be my choice.

I just looked for my truck and they were $63... but the 10 inch drum are out of stock.

Patrologia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L Edge
Transmission
Manual
I just noticed that somehow I'd ended up in the parts catalog of somebody in TX instead of local. Probably clicked on an ad somewhere along the line, so I expect the local price will be mid 60s, like the MSRP and Uncle Gump's example.

So, any other opinions on how any of the others compare? I don't want to do Rock, because I cut it a little close and don't want to wait for shipping. I want to be able to grab these Monday morning at the latest. Tomorrow if I don't wait for Motorcraft from the dealer.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Patrologia,

I like Powerstop discs/drums with EBC Green pads/shoes.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
If yours can be turned, I would go that route. Wire brush 'em and a coat of paint is a lot cheaper than new ones.

Rimjam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Health is wealth
Junkyards are full of Rangers with 10" rear brake drums. Last ones I bought - $5 for both. Inspect shoe contact area carefully: no cracks, no grooves, no heat discoloration (blueing). To be fair; I'm in Alabama so rust is no issue, I don't count the gas & time getting to the parts, I like prowling thru junkyards. New drums delivered to your door probably cheapest overall.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I think you may also be able to get a set of drums from a Ford Aerostar that are finned instead of smooth. You may just have to hog out the center hole for the axle. If you cant do it yourself any machine shop should be able to do it for you. It should help somewhat with brake fade.

I was going to do this to mine, but I was not able to get the aerostar parts quick enough, I needed the truck done immediately.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ah, definitely time to do the Mustang rear disk brake upgrade. No more of that drum brake hassle. Not that expensive either.

There is good information on this web site for the upgrade and I wrote up an extensive journal with pictures when I did the conversion on my 2002 Ranger. Just PM me for a copy.

Patrologia

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L Edge
Transmission
Manual
If yours can be turned, I would go that route. Wire brush 'em and a coat of paint is a lot cheaper than new ones.
I’m ending up going this route. Kept reading bad things about the fit of aftermarket drums unless you spend bigger money than this truck needs, and finally found a parts store with a guy who knew how to machine drums. (First place said the guy who does rotors doesn’t know how to do drums. The drum guy is here on Saturday.)
I any case, the old drums are newly surfaced and going back on the truck.
I think you may also be able to get a set of drums from a Ford Aerostar that are finned instead of smooth. You may just have to hog out the center hole for the axle. If you cant do it yourself any machine shop should be able to do it for you.
I considered pursuing this, and still might in the unlikely event the rest of the truck survives long enough to need rear brake work again. Does it matter what year Aerostar and what year Ranger? I’m driving a 2004, and the Aerostars were long gone by then.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
on the Aerostar drums the center hole is the same as a '92 and earlier Ranger, it's smaller than your '04
that's a precision hole that centers the drum on the axle, if it is just hogged out you may have vibration issues.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Probably not after you pay shipping.
my local Advanced Auto gives discounts if I order and pay online, then pick up the parts myself. (only 1/4 mile!)
on some stuff it's 20%
not sure if other vendors offer this.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals