• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which Cylinder Head To Use

dasophoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am building a 2.3l motor for my 1949 Willys CJ3-A and have two different heads for the motor. One came off of a 1985 Ranger and the other off of a 1996 Ranger. Is one capable of producing more low end power than the other? The block is an 85 Ranger 2.3l. I'm a total newbie at motor work and figure this is the best place to ask. Thanks for your help!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Supposedly the older heads are more prone to cracking. They have 4 spark plugs (88 and older.) '89 up has 8 plugs. There are also different shapes of intake ports so you have to match the head to the intake you are going to use.

Having owned both I feel that the '96 made slightly more power than my '88, even with 250k on it vs the 30k on the '88 engine that was rebuilt and bored 30 over... but it was marginal.

Really just depends on what intake and fuel supply you want to run.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What you have is a 2.3l Lima engine, nicknamed the Pinto engine because it was first used in 1974 Ford Pinto

Very reliable engine, built like a tank, it has been used in many industrial applications, along with Ford cars and trucks
Mustangs used them for many years

So Good choice for Jeep build

The torque you have is set by the Cam you use, car cams have less torque but more horse power, truck cams have more torque but less horse power.
And you can use custom cam for even more torque

If you want to stick with distributor and carburetor, and NO computer, then that will decide the head you will use
So you will use the 1985 head

If you want to go distributorless and Fuel injected then you will sell the 1985 engine, w/1985 head, and buy a 1989-1994 2.3l with wiring and computer, and may be with a cracked head so you can get a deal and use your 1996 head on it

With the 1985 you can use a 2.3l Duraspark distributor with a Chevy HEI module, yes Chevy, lol, for a very reliable a strong spark system, 1 wire hook up, 12volts, 2nd wire if you want a Tachometer

Carburetors do have draw backs for 4X4s especially when you do steep angles, the float bowls are the problem

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I agree on the dual-plug head having cracking issues, I ended up having to get a replacement head from autozone after not being able to get a junkyard head that wasn’t cracked. The right differential ratio makes all the difference with a 2.3 it’s a easy engine to work on though and a “non-interference “ motor, so if you break a timing belt you won’t bend valves or poke holes in pistons, just line up the timing marks put a new belt on and go.

dasophoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What you have is a 2.3l Lima engine, nicknamed the Pinto engine because it was first used in 1974 Ford Pinto

Very reliable engine, built like a tank, it has been used in many industrial applications, along with Ford cars and trucks
Mustangs used them for many years

So Good choice for Jeep build

The torque you have is set by the Cam you use, car cams have less torque but more horse power, truck cams have more torque but less horse power.
And you can use custom cam for even more torque

If you want to stick with distributor and carburetor, and NO computer, then that will decide the head you will use
So you will use the 1985 head

If you want to go distributorless and Fuel injected then you will sell the 1985 engine, w/1985 head, and buy a 1989-1994 2.3l with wiring and computer, and may be with a cracked head so you can get a deal and use your 1996 head on it

With the 1985 you can use a 2.3l Duraspark distributor with a Chevy HEI module, yes Chevy, lol, for a very reliable a strong spark system, 1 wire hook up, 12volts, 2nd wire if you want a Tachometer

Carburetors do have draw backs for 4X4s especially when you do steep angles, the float bowls are the problem
I'm going to stick with the distributor and the carburetor. I'm using the Autolite 2100 carb which has some solid offroad modifications. If I built a custom intake I could still mount the 96 head on the 85 motor, correct? the 96 seems like a more efficient head with the roller design on the valves. Is that a correct assumption?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The roller cam followers reduce friction, which is a good thing. You may be able to get a 'carburetor' intake from Esslinger or Racer Walsh as the Lima was used in some dirt track racing(I think) and there are performance parts available.
A cheaper solution if you can find one is the 1974 two barrel intake used on the Pinto & Mustang II. It came with a Holley-Weber progressive which definitely resembles the 2100. Problem with them all is finding the oval, round, or flat-bottom intake ports to match the ports on the cylinder head. And the fact most old ones are now crushed.
The 74 had a points ignition(hens teeth, anyone?) and was the only model year with points.
The engine was used in a LOT of industrial applications, so other carbureted and LP gas versions are out there.
Fitting an OHC under the hood, with a air cleaner mounted up top may point to a relocated air cleaner. I don't have measurements.
tom

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Those 2100/2150 carbs would be sweet on a 2.3. A couple of local guys make custom intakes and ran them on Toyota 20R/22R engines. They were sooo much happier with them than the Webers they ran before. IMO they are the best offroad carburetor you can get.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
There was a marine use of this engine too. I worked at a boat dealership in the late 80’s/early 90’s and saw a few Starcraft boats with this engine and a omc cobra stern drive. They were carberated and had a point distributor.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
You'll have to make your own intake or an adaptor to run a carb on the '96 head plus you'll have those extra 4 spark plug holes if you're gonna run a distributor. The roller camshaft will work in the '85 head but I think they changed the roller followers in '95-'96. They went to smaller valve stems so you'd have to open up the valve side of the follower or get the older style. Does the '85 head have D-shaped intake ports or round ports? Late '85 was the changeover from round port carb to D-port EFI. The round port doesn't really have a lot of options for intakes. There are lots of options for carbed D-port intakes though. E1ZE intakes, Esslinger, OMC, and efi lower with a carb adaptor. I'd keep it all '80s and 4-plug myself.

dasophoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You'll have to make your own intake or an adaptor to run a carb on the '96 head plus you'll have those extra 4 spark plug holes if you're gonna run a distributor. The roller camshaft will work in the '85 head but I think they changed the roller followers in '95-'96. They went to smaller valve stems so you'd have to open up the valve side of the follower or get the older style. Does the '85 head have D-shaped intake ports or round ports? Late '85 was the changeover from round port carb to D-port EFI. The round port doesn't really have a lot of options for intakes. There are lots of options for carbed D-port intakes though. E1ZE intakes, Esslinger, OMC, and efi lower with a carb adaptor. I'd keep it all '80s and 4-plug myself.
Yeah I've about decided to keep the 85 head. It is a d-port. I was thinking about just adapting the lower efi intake to begin with...just because I have it. And then maybe going to the Cobra or the esslinger when I have a little more funds to drop. Thanks for the input Daniel! I've made some progress on the motor, I reamed and honed it, cleaned it up and got it painted.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I've run the E1 intake and now I'm running the Esslinger. I have the efi lower and adaptor but I haven't tried it yet. Some people say it kills bottom end, some say it helps, I don't know. I do know I'm satisfied with the Essy except for routing of the throttle cable because the carb sets sideways. You probably have a linkage throttle and that would really be a pain to hook up.

Attachments

dasophoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've run the E1 intake and now I'm running the Esslinger. I have the efi lower and adaptor but I haven't tried it yet. Some people say it kills bottom end, some say it helps, I don't know. I do know I'm satisfied with the Essy except for routing of the throttle cable because the carb sets sideways. You probably have a linkage throttle and that would really be a pain to hook up.
What adapter are you planning on using on the efi lower? I havent been able to find one for the motorcraft 2100.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I think the one I have is from Powerbyace. I picked it up used though. Autolite/Motorcraft 2100&2150 use the same mounting pattern as 2300 series Holley carbs. I do have to use a thick Ford carb gasket though with the MC. I usually tell them I need a carb to spacer gasket for a 1982 F150 with a 302. lol

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
This is when I first test fit everything. I've since plugged the injector holes and plugged all the sensor holes on the efi manifold. I'm gonna switch to this 300cfm Holley with a smaller power valve to see if it helps going from off idle to wide open throttle.

Attachments

dasophoto

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This is when I first test fit everything. I've since plugged the injector holes and plugged all the sensor holes on the efi manifold. I'm gonna switch to this 300cfm Holley with a smaller power valve to see if it helps going from off idle to wide open throttle.
Yeah I figured I would need to plug all the same things. What about the radiator fluid port on the flange...I know some guys block that off, did you? Not sure if the air being a little warm is bad, maybe its good if you live in a real cold climate?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals