• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which auto-locking hub technology was used on Gen 3?...

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
... call it 1993-97... The Tech Library is all about Gen 4/PVH/1998-2000, but which hubs did the previous models use, and if they didn't use vacuum, how DID they engage/disengage?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pre-PVH Auto Hubs were torque driven/engaged

When the front driveshaft was Powered by shifting transfer case to 4H or 4L the front axle would start to turn, this torque caused the front Auto Hubs to engaged the wheels
When you shifted back to 2WD the axles lose power which caused the unlock...........but not always
It was recommended to stop and back up 50-75 feet to unlock the Auto Hubs

The mechanics of it come down to, the axles could turn the wheels but the wheels couldn't turn the axles

Think of a bicycle chain drive that can "coast", if you pedal you power the rear wheel(its locked to pedals) but if you stop pedaling the pedals don't keep turning because the rear wheel is turning, so rear wheel is unlocked from the pedals at that time allowing "coasting"

Last edited:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Great analogy, I never thought of it that way. My ‘93 had those but got replaced with mile marker manual hubs, the auto hubs didnt always work , the manuals always did.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, manual was/is always more reliable than "auto" anything, lol

But most people want convenience over function and car makers make what sells, and automatic anything sells better than manual.
So we are our worst enemy on this, lol

The 1997 and earlier Auto Hub parts can be found but are disappearing, manual conversion is a better way to spend your money, in my opinion

And because the front differential is an OPEN type if only 1 Auto hub locks then you don't have 3WD you still just have 2WD because the unlocked wheel's axle gets all the power from transfer case, none goes to the Locked wheel

Last edited:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I still like the PVH jobbies, lots of metal-to-metal engagement, it's mostly the upstream vac hoses that go bad.

... because the front differential is an OPEN type...

Strangely, happily, back when my hubs worked, my D35 behaved like a LOCKER--pulled like a tractor, both front wheels, even in sandy soil, AND... when I would roll backwards downslope in neutral, on pavement, and turned the wheel to back into an alley, the front wheels would skid, and almost to a stop!... is it "pinned" 'cause I got the "Sport" pkg??:dntknw:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but the problem is they DO GO BAD, lol, and you only find out when you NEED 4WD
Generally manual hubs just work, so are more reliable

All Rangers, and most 4x4s, have OPEN front differentials, there was no limited slip or locker option

OPEN doesn't mean only 1 wheel gets power all the time, it means the easiest to turn or fastest spinning axle gets the power
Most rear differentials are OPEN and they do just fine :)
Not as good as limited slip or lockers but also don't cost as much

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The prob with manual hubs on Rangers--at least my 4th Gen--is they're so easy to STEAL with that lame snap-on arrangement, and most of the fake center caps won't fit and thus conceal them.

The PVHs on the other hand are kind of a pain to get off with those 12 separate tabs, plus... NOBODY WANTS THEM, home safe and dry, lol...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Just keep the factory plastic covers on the manual hubs and nobody even knows you have them. I forget that I have them on mine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals