• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where's your good spots and game?

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
I work in tourism for the most part and people always ask me the stupidest questions, and we get a lot of lower 48 hunters who think they're top dogs, that is until they see a full grown Alaskan Bull Moose and Sh*t their pants. lol

I grew up rompin the trails in a 79 chevy Cheynne half ton. Boy did I love getting that truck dirty and of course it was a chevy, so we were ALWAYS breaking down somewhere, but those were the fun parts and mostly how I learned how to temp fix a lot of stuff on trucks.

Alaskan girls are known for shootin guns bigger than they are, and helpin haul moose and deer back to the truck. I loved sittin in the garage eating chips while my dad hung a moose upside down in the garage and started gutting it.

Up here Cantwell, Ester, Eureka, Healy, almost anywhere is a good spot to go hunting, especially if you don't mind gettin muddy. :icon_cheers:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hunt whitetail deer at my grandfather's 240 acre farm about 30 miles away. We have some pretty nice deer down here in SW Iowa, I have a picture of the one my brother got with his bow in another thread in this forum. It is now on his wall.

For most of Iowa only shotguns, muzzleloaders and archery are allowed for deer.

I carry a 20ga Mossberg 500 slug gun, it does the job just fine. One of us pushes draws while the rest ambush whatever comes by. With only one pusher and the other guys staged at stragic points around the farm they are not under a lot of pressure to move but do move. We only have three in our group so it doesn't work all that great but we ain't dodging slugs like we had to when were in a big group of guys and always tagged out. The kills we have are much cleaner too since they are not running a gauntlet of 10-15 guys trying to shoot at them on the run and terrified of anything that might move.

Being in the bottom two tiers of counties in Iowa we also get a late doe season where pretty much anything goes, I just spent the afternoon dragging around my 91/30 trying to sneak up on a doe.

We used to have really good pheasant hunting but they pretty much went extinct when the turkeys came back. Turkey season runs when I really busy at work (planting and harvest) I get roped into trying to keep combines going enough I haven't don't really have a chance to try it.

I have been around cattle enough to be fairly respectful of something bigger and purely wild (which in my experiance seems to at least double its drive to kill you) If I ever hunt moose, it will be with a big gun from a long ways away. I have seen the idiots on tv waving boat oars over their heads to get within bow range... no thank you. :shok:

There have been mountain lions seen in the general area where I hunt, which is partially why if the weather is decent I usually carry my .44 revolver. The other reason is that a close range "coup de grâce" shot with a shotgun ruins about half the deer.

Last edited:

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Moose are very proud respectful creature, they're very much like a horse. If you approtch them, keeping a nice distance, they'll walk right up to you and sniff you, lick you. you can pet them. lol

I've been face to face with a moose and his female during rutting season. that was scary, I had my two dogs with me and this was on a public paved trail in my neihborhood.

Moose here are smart, they know when it's hunting season, they all come into town where they can't be hunted.

Females with babies will stay in the same area every year, and their babies come back to the same place every year, and so on so forth. Where I grew up in Fairbanks, I got to know FOUR!! generations of moose in my neihborhood. lol it's pretty cool.

Some bulls can get about as tall as a F250!! and they're racks can get to be 25-50 inches farthest tip to farthest tip. it's AWESOME!

A good moose is middle aged bull with a rack at about 25-35 inches.

Deer here are "Raindeer" (stupid santa clause. lol We seriously have a town called North Pole, I don't recomend going there. lol)

Currently I'm not old enough to buy a gun and the only gun my dad has gotten me is a Marlin 22 long rifle, semi-auto. I like it. It's good enough to practice with. My dad got injured though and now has a fused wrist and most outdoor activities put him in pain. (injured back, hip, wrist.) So, going hunting doesn't happen to often for me. which deffinately sucks. But I go fishing ALL THE TIME!! Alaska, who doesn't go fishing here. mmm..... red snapper... YUM!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Moose are very proud respectful creature, they're very much like a horse. If you approtch them, keeping a nice distance, they'll walk right up to you and sniff you, lick you. you can pet them. lol
That doesn't sound very sporting...

Well anyway, that is why this lower 48er wouldn't trust a moose any farther than I can throw it. I have too many years of not trusting similar animals. Even horses can be hit or miss.

Whitetail can get crazy mean during the rut, I can't imagine a moose getting into that mood.

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
Well Alaskans are just tougher. LOL JK!

i talk a lot of smack with a smile on my face.

I'm just used to seeing really big moose and having to deal with them in my back yard and hanging dead in the garage. Not a lot can actually scare me animal wise unless it's a spider or insect.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well Alaskans are just tougher. LOL JK!

i talk a lot of smack with a smile on my face.

I'm just used to seeing really big moose and having to deal with them in my back yard and hanging dead in the garage. Not a lot can actually scare me animal wise unless it's a spider or insect.
I have had too many people that I know seriously hurt and even killed by livestock to trust them, not scared, just not trusting. I think that was even in the intial training speach about how to be around them "never trust them" :icon_thumby:

Ak907Girl

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/ 11,370Miles
Transmission
Manual
They have training for farming?!?! or was it for something else? I love horses, but I've never been on a farm before. Not too many of those up here, mostly in Palmer, Alaska. My grandpa lives down the road from a Cow farm, and I love going to see the cows grazing!

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Currently I'm not old enough to buy a gun and the only gun my dad has gotten me is a Marlin 22 long rifle, semi-auto.
Nah, I'm 19 remember.
You posted in another thread about being 19 but you can't buy a gun?:icon_confused:

Anyway I have the same Marlin...it was my first gun. I like it more than my Ruger 10/22.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They have training for farming?!?! or was it for something else? I love horses, but I've never been on a farm before. Not too many of those up here, mostly in Palmer, Alaska. My grandpa lives down the road from a Cow farm, and I love going to see the cows grazing!
Kinda, sorta not really.

But as a noob you usually get something of a tutorial about things before you get thrown into them to figure out the finer details on your own. I don't think somebody would last long if they had to figure everything out on their own.

The really hazardous stuff (mainly chemicals and the like) do require training though.

You posted in another thread about being 19 but you can't buy a gun?:icon_confused:
Maybe in some areas you have to be 21?

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
no? i bought a .338 win mag when i turned 18 here, and i live in alaska. Handguns are 21, rifles are 18

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals