• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to pick up a hot wire & how to fill in this big hole?

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Hi folks,

I'm currently attempting to install a exploder center console in my 4 door FX4. So far OK I guess, Just got it screwed down & solid. I'm looking around for a hot wire to run a few things. A 20 amp circuit would be nice. I have been sniffing around the fuse panel at the passenger kick panel & did find a red #16 wire. There is also an overhead console too at some point, but I don't think it will look like this.

The aluminum piece will be upholstered? Who knows? This is a whole lot of space to plug up. Looking to discover the different ways to go about doing this, but the arm rest is way nice. It had to be rebuilt & will be receiving a swatch of suede. The console will be painted black as the whole interior is black. To contour everything, I first need to establish what the heck will be the final design. The Econoline 60s Ford van style with the big flat area would be nice. Looking to modify only the area left open. Also some front panel area for some flip switches will be needed for lights, winch, ect.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you’re going to power several different things, you may want to consider installing a fuse block some place that is easy to access, maybe under that cover at the front of your new console. Run a hot wire from the distribution post on your starter relay. Add a fuse to protect wiring to the fuse block. Run a dedicated ground wire. I got a block from EBay that has room for 6 fuses and also ground distribution points. Mine is behind the passenger side kick panel.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Thanks Eric. Good idea about the ready distb block off ebay. The big hole? hummm. The console is slid as far as I can think reasonable seeing that the arm rest has to be in the correct place which it is. Where is my stash of big pieces of cardboard?

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Could add some more material on the sides of your plate so it goes all the way to the floor.
Rivit or welding

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Jim has some pictures of the console he made for his rig, with switches and radio mounts.

He made his out of plywood.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
if you dont use the cigarette lighter, you could tap into that circuit, it’s usually “live” and at least 20 amp.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
rcsan,

This is true about the ciggy lighter circuit, if I could only figure out how to bust open that front panel surround. There are 2 screws underneath the radio. But when removed, everything is still intact. Don't want to break anything I cant replace. As far as the open hole goes, I did find some large flat sections of cardboard that will help out in modeling that forward hole.

This is fairly overwhelming. I want it to look not like a hacked up job, and this whole deal is challenging to make something effective, nice looking and not looking like a unskilled afternoon job, however there are some of us that could knock it out quickly.

Those forward tabs need extending. All the way up to the HAVC duct. I am a fabricator. So now I am challenged again. Roadworthy will determine the rough duty and utilitarian design. Now where is my cardboard & spatula. - Doug

Last edited:

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.
The trim piece around the radio has clips holding it on. 2 or 4 clips? Can't remember. Pull the screws out and the just pull the trim towards you. Might need to pull the radio too but I don't think so. Lighter fuse has at least 1 other circuit on it, OBD 2 connector.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
Thanks sheep herder. That is the exact answer I was wondering about. You know, one simply just doesn't rip something off without wondering if I am destroying something. Very well then, I appreciate it. -Doug

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals