• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where to mount 4' FireStik on Bronco II

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Spare tire carrier?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I have to agree, there are better antennas out there than a Firestik (almost any other antenna is much lighter weight for one thing, less stress on the mount).

I have a 66" Francis Hot Rod CB-26 on a triple magnet mount on the roof of mine. Excellent range. Only thing that would be better is a 102" whip, however the height of that starts to get a bit too impractical (I have a spring on mine so when it does hit something such as a low branch or drive-thru overhang, it can flex harmlessly out of the way).

Here's a pic (one of the few I have that the mag mount is (sortof) visible in)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well after reading all this I've decided to run a wilson little wil. I like to idea of a mag mount and at the moment I don't have the money to spend on something more expensive, but I will definitely upgrade from it.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Towel rack spare tire carrier? I like it.
Just an idea, when I built my carrier I threw a tab on it to mount an antenna.

You can barely see it behind the actual spare tire mount. There is another one on the other side for a off road flag.

I know BII carriers are different (that is where I got the bracket that holds the tire) but welding or clamping a tab isn't really rocket science.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you decide to hard mount later on, the ideal, all around location for an antenna is the middle of the roof.

Since height can be an issue, mounting on the back of the vehicle is the next best. Not on the bumper though due to grounding and continuity issues. Mounting to the spare tire carrier can be a similar issue. This is if you are using the vehicle as your grounding plain. Also, location is going to focus the beam in the opposite direction.

So, if mounted on the right, rear, the strongest transmission and receive signal is going to be to the left, front. Great for highway travel.

The antenna also needs to rise above the vehicle to prevent the vehicle from acting like a shield and causing a blind spot. What that height is, I can’t say since I went with a stainless steel whip.

I would do some research to figure that out so you can get the best performance out of what mounting options you have available.

I believe there is a mounting bracket that you can use that bolts to the tailgate hinge. It might take some research to find the right bracket. Best performance tends to be something that bolts right to the body sheet metal.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The antenna also needs to rise above the vehicle to prevent the vehicle from acting like a shield and causing a blind spot. What that height is, I can’t say since I went with a stainless steel whip.
It's approximately 60-70% of the antenna's total length that needs to be above the vehicle body. Additionally, the antenna used should be a center or top-loaded type, or a full length 102" whip (base-loaded antennas are more adversely affected if the entire antenna isn't above the vehicle body).

Finally, any antenna used in such instance should be a minimum overall length of 5'.
(Really, any antenna you use regardless of how it's mounted should be a minimum 5' tall if you value performance at all... Antennas shorter than about 4.5' have very high resistive losses, meaning most of your transmitting energy gets lost as heat in the antenna's loading coil).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals