• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

where to buy factory paint

chayse brooks

Reaction score
I just got my 89 bronco 2 running but it has a rust hole in the roof. After thats fixed Im going to paint it the factory tan and brown It came with. I have been trying to find some where that will sell Ford factory paint but all I can find are the websites offering touch up paint. Does any one know a good place to buy paint?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure where you're from, around here I know that there's a local parts store and an API store (API mostly sells stuff for doing bodywork). Both are able to mix paint to match factory colors. You're likely not going to be able to get "factory Ford" paint, but you can get a quality automotive paint in the right color. Might be easiest to go to a local repair garage that does body work and ask where they get their paint from, or stop in a local parts store (NOT a national chain like Autozone, Advance Auto and the like) and ask if they know anyone who can mix paint. I've heard that some places that can mix paint to factory colors are even able to put it in spray cans for touch-up work.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
O'Reilly Auto mixes paint (some stores). Can't personally vouch, but a neighbor who does body work always got his from there.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Do you know the paint color code and/or original name? Have you googled that info? You might even be able to derive that from the VIN #.

Ford most likely bought the paint from a major manufacturer like PPG or BASF. searching for the original color name or code might lead you to a retailer or at least get you a brand name and maybe the exact name to look for in a store.

That paint may even be available from more than one manufacturer. The Auto makers sometimes order the same paint color from more than one manufacturer. It is helpful when they have to troubleshoot a quality problem while painting the bodies.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
"Factory Ford" paint isn't like "factory Ford" cylinder heads, it's more like "factory Ford" light bulbs or "factory Ford" tires. The paint isn't made by Ford, it is made by someone else and sold to Ford. The most likely manufacturer is PPG.

Many O'riellys, some NAPAs, and a handful of other places can mix you paint, just need the paint code.

There may even be some body shops that will custom mix you a batch and sell it. Most body shops, even ones attached to dealerships mix paint in-house rather than buy it.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
When you say you want to paint it, do you mean you want it painted or you will be painting it. Are you painting the entire vehicle or just the top?

There is a world of difference between the options above. If you have the equipment to paint and a facility that can be turned into a temporary paint booth and the know how to do it, you already know how to find the paint. So I am guessing this is a first for you.

On the door or jam there is or there was a sticker that provided you the color codes used on the vehicle. Those codes are what paint suppliers use to mix the paint. If the sticker is missing web sites like this can help you find the codes http://duplicolor.com/

There are probably a half dozen paint manufactures in the US. All provide a paint system for their products. The "system" is the various coatings needed to go from bare metal to shiny top coat. The types of coatings available changes from state to state depending on their regulations. For instance in CA you can't use solvent based paints when re-spraying a vehicle. It must be waterborn (except for the clear coat, no one has developed a water based clear coat, yet).

For professionals and even DIYers, places like http://wescopbe.com/ provide body preparation supplies, equipment, paint and at some locations even training. This company is only on the west coast. There are suppliers like them all over the country.

If you are going to do it yourself and have no experience, all I can say is, Youtube is you best friend.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
One other thing.

Don't mix brands. If you start with a paint system from one manufacturer, use that manufacturer's products all the way through the process. Don't mix and match from other manufacturers. They are not all compatible. If you want a good job that will last a long time, follow the directions to the letter.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
One other thing.

Don't mix brands. If you start with a paint system from one manufacturer, use that manufacturer's products all the way through the process. Don't mix and match from other manufacturers. They are not all compatible. If you want a good job that will last a long time, follow the directions to the letter.
So true. I did a single stage job a few years ago. Most of the prep work was done with a lacquer primer. I did not seal it. The top coat swelled the primer, so I had a great, smooth/flat paint job. UNTIL, wait for it, until the primer under the top coat dried out again and pulled those areas lower. :icon_surprised:

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A local paint supply store will mix paint into an aerosol can. I might try it on my engine bay. Of course with a lot of prep

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
A local paint supply store will mix paint into an aerosol can. I might try it on my engine bay. Of course with a lot of prep
My experience with locally mixed spray cans is that they don't match worth a damn. So, for an engine bay - good to go. For painting a roof, maybe. For a panel that is next to another panel - no way!

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Sorry for not being able to reply the internet where I live is down. Anyway, what im looking for is a paint close to the factory spec paint that was on the bronco when it was off the production line. It doesn't have to be a perfect match just close because im painting the whole vehicle so no worry if it is slightly different. the paint code is 8z ans 63 im not sure if thats right because Im not sure if im reading it correct

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Your paint is likely 20+ years old and the chances of it being close to the same as it was from the factory well.. determine how long its baked in the sun and didnt get washed and waxed and how much it has oxidized. I cant wax my truck in some places cause the paint has worn away and its thin.

Sent from my LGL16C using Tapatalk

chayse brooks

Reaction score
Im going to be painting the whole truck so if the paint doesn't match the original it wont matter Im just looking for something close. as for the paint code Im still confused so ill post the door tag

chayses bronco door tag.jpg:icon_confused:

found the paint code for the main color which is sandal wood (8Z). still cant for the second color as it is two toned, the color is a tan of some sort. Can this be found on the door tag as well. also looking for a place to buy it from still

Last edited:

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
8Z and 63

Use the link I posted earlier for paint codes.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals