• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

where is hydraulic ABS valve on 1990 ford ranger with 7.5in axle

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
built her in a storage unit
the orange ABS light and red BRAKE light are on 100% of the time, brakes work and stop good, parking/emergency brake works good. ABS does not work. i am going to replace ABS speed sensor, and if that doesn’t work the control module. if all else fails then i know it’s the ABS hydraulic valve, thing is, i literally can’t find the valve on my truck, is it in the engine compartment, on the frame rail????? any helpful information would be appreciated

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

The RABS consists of the following components:

1. RABS module (1989-90)-located in the dash under the IP panel mount on a brace, center of panel area. The (RABS) module for 1987-88 model year is located behind an access cover in back of the driver's side door pillar.
  2. Dual Solenoid Electro-Hydraulic Valve is located 5 in. (127mm) rearward of the No. 1 crossmember on the inboard side of the LH frame rail.
  3. Speed Sensor and Exciter Ring-located in the rear differential housing.
  4. Yellow REAR ANTI-LOCK Warning Light-located in the instrument cluster.
  5. RABS Diagnostic Connector-located on the main wire bundle inside of cab under the dash, slightly rearward driver side.
  6. Diode/Resistor Element-located in the master cylinder fluid level sensor wiring harness on the left splash apron.
  7. Sensor test Connector-located under the hood slightly rearward the washer bottle.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

The RABS module preforms system tests and self-tests during startup and normal operation. The valve, sensor and fluid level circuits are monitored for proper operation. If a fault is found, the RABS will be deactivated and the REAR ANTI LOCK light will be lit until the ignition is turned OFF. When the light is lit, the diagnostic flashout code may be obtained. Under normal operation, the light will stay on for about 2 seconds while the ignition switch is in the ON position and will go out shortly after. A flash code may be obtained only when the yellow light is ON. Before reading the code, drive the vehicle to a level area and place the shift lever in the PARK or NEUTRAL position. Keep the vehicle ignition ON.

To Obtain the Flash Code:

1. Locate the RABS diagnostic connector (orange/black wire) and attach a jumper wire to it and ground it to the chassis.
  2. Quickly remove the ground. When the ground is made and then removed, the RABS light will begin to flash.
  3. The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. Example 3 short flashes and one long flash indicated Code No. 4. The code will continue until the ignition is turned OFF. Refer to the flashcode diagnosis charts for further instructions.

ABS codes attached below

Attachments

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo
The RABS module preforms system tests and self-tests during startup and normal operation. The valve, sensor and fluid level circuits are monitored for proper operation. If a fault is found, the RABS will be deactivated and the REAR ANTI LOCK light will be lit until the ignition is turned OFF. When the light is lit, the diagnostic flashout code may be obtained. Under normal operation, the light will stay on for about 2 seconds while the ignition switch is in the ON position and will go out shortly after. A flash code may be obtained only when the yellow light is ON. Before reading the code, drive the vehicle to a level area and place the shift lever in the PARK or NEUTRAL position. Keep the vehicle ignition ON.

To Obtain the Flash Code:

• Locate the RABS diagnostic connector (orange/black wire) and attach a jumper wire to it and ground it to the chassis.

• Quickly remove the ground. When the ground is made and then removed, the RABS light will begin to flash.

• The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. Example 3 short flashes and one long flash indicated Code No. 4. The code will continue until the ignition is turned OFF. Refer to the flashcode diagnosis charts for further instructions.

ABS codes attached below
alright i have determined that it is in fact the RABS valve, but i still can’t find it😭😭 is there someway someone could put a video of there hydraulic ABS valve in this thread? a picture would be ok but a video would really help me out here, can’t find anything on the internet except a picture and it doesn’t really help, feel like i’m just missing it somehow

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's near the fuel filter on the inside of the driver's side frame rail. Find the fuel filter, go forward a bit and find the only thing with wires plugged into it...that's the ABS valve.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
a picture would be ok
And it takes less time than a thousand words.

1990 Bronco II; 1990 Ranger should be the same. RABS valve shown by the red arrow.

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo

stamina

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4” suspension
Tire Size
265/75/r16
My credo

found one at the junkyard for the low because they didn’t know what it was LOL took me about an hour to install and bleed brakes! thanks for the help guys fixed my ABS and BRAKE lights, my braking is better than ever, and my ABS actually works now!

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Glad to hear that. Good work, and thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals