• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where can I get fairly priced lifters?

Rangerdangernoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I need to change lifters on my 96 ranger 4.0 but all I see are sold individually for 50$? There’s gotta be something else that’s better priced, especially for it being older. Any links to where I can get any would be appreciated

rusty ol ranger

2.9L Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Sure thats not for all 12?

Rangerdangernoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sure thats not for all 12?
I had assumed it would be but I read the questions on the product and others have asked and the response they gave is it’s sold individually. The cheapest I found was 17$ on partsology but idk if that’s a trustworthy site as it has no reviews. I asked myself if it was a box of them and waiting for response

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I got some from Camcraft. You don't want cheap lifters ($50 per is too much, though) unless you want to tear it down again and probably have to rebuild the whole engine. Make sure to use oil with zinc or a zinc additive.

Attachments

Rangerdangernoob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I got some from Camcraft. You don't want cheap lifters ($50 per is too much, though) unless you want to tear it down again and probably have to rebuild the whole engine. Make sure to use oil with zinc or a zinc additive.
Appreciate it, and thanks for the oil tip. I’ll check cam craft

rusty ol ranger

2.9L Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Last time i bought lifters i think i paid 6 or 7 bucks a piece and it was for a 351w. I cant believe theyve gone up that much. Granted it was 2007.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The machinist I use told me his supplier refuses to sell him a flat tappet cam because there have been so many low mileage cam failures. If a customer wants a flat tappet cam in an engine he's building, he assembles the rotating assembly and heads, then gives them the incomplete engine to install their own cam. He has a row of chewed up lifters on a shelf by his front counter that he pulled out of low mileage engines. Cheap(Chinese, mostly) offshore lifters are a problem, poor break in procedures are a problem, and modern oil formulas are a problem. If you have stiff valve springs, replace them with light springs for break in. Run the engine for 20 minutes while varying the rpms between 2000-2500 with high zinc oil or a zinc additive, then change the oil and filter with more high zinc oil. Then reinstall the stiff springs. You can either buy racing oil with zinc or use a zinc (ZDDP) additive if you think cheap oil is a way to save money. By the way, it ain't.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad