• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Where can I buy a 4wd dash switch new?

wooky1971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know where I can get a new 4wd selector switch on the dash for a 91 Ranger. I went through all the test procedures in the trouble shooting article on this and it indicates the switch is bad. I hate to buy a used one because if it doesnt fix it I wont know if its something else or the used switch was bad. Does anyone know the test procedure to test the switch itself? I believe the part number is E97B-7Z155-AB

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The electrical diagram ishere. That drawing is in the "How To Tech" section of this site. Now, to test the switch... pull the switch out of the dash so you can access the wires on the back. With the key in the run position, you should see 12volts on the Red/yellow wire and also on the white/light blue wire. The red/yellow wire is power being supplied to the switch. The white/light blue wire is telling the controller that the switch is in the 2wd position.

Next, turn the switch to the 4-hi position. You should now see 12 volts on the red/yellow wire, the grey wire and the dark blue wire. You should also see some kind of 4wd indicator lighted in your instrument cluster.

Next, turn the switch to 4-lo. You should now see 12 volts on the red/yellow wire, the brown/white wire and the Orange/light blue wire. You should also see the 4-lo indicator lighted in the instrument cluster.

If all that tests right, then your selector switch is working right.

I hope that helps. I have the newer push-button controls so I can't do the tests and post pictures for you. As far as acquiring a new switch, I, personally, would try the junk yard and take a meter with me to make sure the contacts are working in the new switch before paying for it.

wooky1971

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The electrical diagram ishere. That drawing is in the "How To Tech" section of this site. Now, to test the switch... pull the switch out of the dash so you can access the wires on the back. With the key in the run position, you should see 12volts on the Red/yellow wire and also on the white/light blue wire. The red/yellow wire is power being supplied to the switch. The white/light blue wire is telling the controller that the switch is in the 2wd position.

Next, turn the switch to the 4-hi position. You should now see 12 volts on the red/yellow wire, the grey wire and the dark blue wire. You should also see some kind of 4wd indicator lighted in your instrument cluster.

Next, turn the switch to 4-lo. You should now see 12 volts on the red/yellow wire, the brown/white wire and the Orange/light blue wire. You should also see the 4-lo indicator lighted in the instrument cluster.

If all that tests right, then your selector switch is working right.

I hope that helps. I have the newer push-button controls so I can't do the tests and post pictures for you. As far as acquiring a new switch, I, personally, would try the junk yard and take a meter with me to make sure the contacts are working in the new switch before paying for it.
Thank you. That should point me down the right trail at least. LOL I at least know what contacts should have power. The tech article was specific to a 94 Ranger. The 94 apparently had a fuse in the fuse block as well as one in the engine compartment. The 91 does not seem to have one in the fuse panel. There is no diagram in the lid but luckily I have the owners manual and have looked at all the fuses listed in the manual and can not find one in the fuse block for the 4wd. If one of these wires is not getting power I know I missed something.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals