• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When Was the Timing Chain Rattle in the SOHC 4.0 Fixed?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I don't remember removing the thermostat housing and idler pulley the first time I replaced the driver side tensioner. I did remove the throttle body and the temperature sensors in the thermostat housing. It has been a long time ago so I may have forgotten everything I did.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I never tried the removal with the thermostat housing in. With how little room there is, even with my small hands, I'm not sure I could do it. All the videos I saw on the subject did either what I did or removed the intake manifold like the Service Manual recommends.

Someone on here had a heavily modified deep well socket for the job. With that, it may be possible but not with standard off the shelf tools.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Depends on year\model intake manifold; some have better\worse clearance than others for getting to that Left TimingTensioner.
I may be that guy with modified 27mm DeepSocket; ground length short & extension end narrow with bench grinder; simple but takes a little time.
It allowed getting at that Tensioner without removing the Manifold & reduced interference with the Tensioners Gasket\Seal\Washer.
Also relocated\replaced Left TempSensor to get it out of the way; requires an Aluminum TStatHousing, not the stock plastic.
Detailed info at

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Now that you mention it, I think I did remove the intake manifold with the throttle body. I was thinking removing the throttle body would give enough room to take out those sensors. I took a quick look at it and can see the intake manifold does have to come off if you don't remove the thermostat housing.

Arolsma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Has anyone had a shop replace their timing chain tensioners? If so, how much did it cost? I would like to know how much money to hold back for this when/if I get a 4.0. There is a 2008 on the market I would like to buy, but the seller hasn't yet got back to me weather it is a 3.0 or a 4.0 lol.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I never tried the removal with the thermostat housing in. With how little room there is, even with my small hands, I'm not sure I could do it. All the videos I saw on the subject did either what I did or removed the intake manifold like the Service Manual recommends.

Someone on here had a heavily modified deep well socket for the job. With that, it may be possible but not with standard off the shelf tools.
Bull-shevick. I've done it removing nothing else (albeit in an Explorer, so the throttle body is in a very different spot). All you need is a 27mm wrench.

Has anyone had a shop replace their timing chain tensioners? If so, how much did it cost? I would like to know how much money to hold back for this when/if I get a 4.0. There is a 2008 on the market I would like to buy, but the seller hasn't yet got back to me weather it is a 3.0 or a 4.0 lol.
I've never paid to do it, but I've been paid to do it. Last one I did was in an 04 or 05 Explorer with about half a bazillion miles on it (cop cruiser) and the book time on the job was 24 hours. Plus parts.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Depending on the year model & IntakeManifold style, how easily the left OilPressurized TimingTensioner is removed/replaced.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
When the mechanic was paid.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Bull-shevick. I've done it removing nothing else (albeit in an Explorer, so the throttle body is in a very different spot). All you need is a 27mm wrench.
Throttle body location and the intake manifold design is the key element here. Both sit right over the tensioner.

On the wrench comment. I did indeed have to use a wrench to get the crush washer to seal as it should and stop leaking oil into the block valley. I don’t know about the OEM washers but specified torque wasn’t enough for the ones supplied by Cloyes.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Throttle body location and the intake manifold design is the key element here. Both sit right over the tensioner.
On the wrench comment. I did indeed have to use a wrench to get the crush washer to seal as it should and stop leaking oil into the block valley. I don’t know about the OEM washers but specified torque wasn’t enough for the ones supplied by Cloyes.
Considering the space\slop between Tensioner OD & WasherSeal ID, it's a struggle to keep the Washer\Seal centered,
& depends on how smooth the seat where it lands.
I ended up right at the 49FtLbsMax on the right Tensioner,
but another 10FtLbs+ more plus TeflonSpririlWrapped WasherSeal on left Tensioner to get leak stopped on a scarred seat.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

I used OEM parts and didn't actually torque it because I was using a wrench.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals