• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When to change plugs

ugltrk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger supercab
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1996 Ranger Supercab W/ 86,000 book says to change @ 30,000
also states 100,000 tuneup, pulled one from each side to check condition
both looks good, the step at the tip is still good, no burn/deposits.
Also some models I'm told use different #s on right/left side (wanted to check that), same #s both sides(why different #s)

purchased in 1998 w/ 8,000 mi.
mobil 1 5/30 very little consumption no add between changes
MPG...19/21 local..24/26 hwy
3.0 5 speed

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
which book are you looking at? the owners manual?

most ford vehicles have a reccomended plug service life of 100,000 miles...yours should be no different.

ive never heard of people using different plugs (or did you mean different service intervals?) for different sides of the motor. the only reason i can think of that someone would try this is because your truck is waste spark and half of your plugs will wear the electrodes down faster than the other half. but at any rate, change all the plugs with the same numbers at the same time, dont mix and match. make sure you use a double platinum plug or else you'll be changing them again in no time.

ugltrk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger supercab
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
WS,
Maybe the different plug # was the double plug engine...The small maintainance schedule book that comes with the vehicle is where I got the info, where it states @ 5,000 mi, change oil/filter, lube this, and that,etc states at 30,000, 60,000 change plugs.
I had thought I would change them @ 100,000, using AWSF32PP Motorcraft, which is what is in there from the factory.

Thanks for the reply, great forum BTW...Bill

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the 3.0 isnt a double plug engine. the only ranger engines that ever had 2 plugs per cylinder were the 4 bangers starting in '89.

if the plugs look fine and the gap isnt way out, then i'd let them slide till 100k. my '93 had the original plugs in it when i got it at 94k and when i pulled them to inspect, they were just about due. using factory replacement plugs is an excellent idea...this way you know you have the proper heat range in there.

hades

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The book you were reading confused you as I see it. Well I hope Wicked_Sludge here has helped you be enlightened.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Yes, the OEM plugs ARE differing part #'s on the left bank vs. the right bank; the reason for this is the dual-phase ignition, and the high cost of platinum, i.e. on one bank the spark jumps from center electrode to GND electrode, and on the other bank from GND to center electrode... the platinum only goes on the "landing" side, where the pitting would occur absent platinum.

IIRC, the Motorcraft REPLACEMENT plugs simply coat both electrodes with Pt, to avoid confusion by DIYers... at the factory there's no confusion, and they save a few pennies.

Very good explanation in this thread:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19381&highlight=ignition&page=2

Back on topic: If you're still getting 24-26 on the hwy, I'd let it slide, unless you've set aside time and gumption to dive into other maintenance anyway. (Auto tranny guys are reluctant to believe I get 25MPG hwy w/ the 5-spd stick... lol.)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals