• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When it rains...

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I've given up on the 4.0 swap for now as I took a job about 2 hours away and just don't have time/money to continue at the moment....SOOOOOO...

I've been getting her back in order:

Finally found a shop to shorten my Explorer Sport rear driveshaft to fit the BII. Only costing me $40 bucks. But dangit I'm tired of waiting on it to get done...

Been chasing a severe lack of power, poor mileage, and smoke issue with the 2.9. Found at least part of the cause yesterday. Ran a compression test - all cylinders except for #1 were between 125 and 130. #1 was around 55. Poured a bit of oil in the cylinder and the reading never changed. Off came the valve cover and found the intake push rod on cylinder #1 was bent and laying next to the rocker arm for #3. Ugh.

My Impreza is also being a little butthole right now. Either chewing up the rear drum brakes or my very recent rear wheel bearing is shot already. Need to get this sorted - except the tire shop overtorqued my lug nuts and even a 1/2" impact wouldn't get 'em off.

I hate cars! :D

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You have a loose connection somewhere. I'd start by look around the area of the TFI and the starter solenoid.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
You're correct but I fixed it a few weeks ago when I was pulling the wiring harness. Orange ground wire for the ECU - it grounds on a trans bolt - was trapped between block and bellhousing.

My problem ATM is the durned pushrod. Don't have time to fix it so it's getting parked for now.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't give upon the 4.0 swap, its so worth it. Took mine on a trip to Dallas this weekend and averaged 20 mpg and kept up with traffic. The 4.0 belonged in this truck.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I would love to do it. Just don't have time right now and need the truck running.

Finally got the *EXPLETIVE DELETED* wheel bearing and brakes done in the Subaru. Had to miss an entire day of work for it. Ugh.

Maybe I can spend a few hours this week on the BII and get the pushrod fixed. Anything I should look out for on this job? I've never done a pushrod on anything before...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals