• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheels and tires

blackswamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm about to place new rims and tires on my 1998 ranger XLT 2wd ..they are 8x15" wheels with 3.75 back set and -19mm offset the tires are 275/60/R15 cooper GT's will this work without modification :beer: I've done all the math but would like a professional opinion.

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what suspension do you have up front, coils or torsion bars? makes a difference in ride height/clearance.
coils are lower than torsion bars.

blackswamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
1998 ranger

The 1998-2010 2WD Ford Ranger came with an IFS coil spring front suspension. .but I'll be replacing the shocks too. My original tires are 27.4 inch the tires I'm putting on it are 28 Inch the new shocks should give me some lift.

Last edited:

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Odd sounding wheel,

8" wide wheel, 3 3/4" flange backset, but the rim offset is Negative 19mm (3/4")?

on a 2wd vehicle in my opinion that will put some unwanted load on the fronts outer wheel bearing cup/cone.

What does this wheel look like?

blackswamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ranger 1998

Going with 255/70/R15 Yes these rims and tires will stick out some.. ..Specs off tire size.com The top of the tire to the fender well is: 0.85" Closer
The inner sidewall to the suspension and frame is: 0.67" Further Away
The outer sidewall is: 1.77" Further Out
This set up will not be that radical I think :icon_hornsup: If I go with 275/60/R15 the specs change a bit due to wider tire
The top of the tire to the fender well is: 0.3" Closer
The inner sidewall to the suspension and frame is: 0.27" Further Away
The outer sidewall is: 2.17" Further Out. The 29" will fill wheel well up more and stick out less but throw speedometer off 5 MPH on average. Adding new shocks too ...everyday truck little use on Highway.

Attachments

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Odd sounding wheel,

8" wide wheel, 3 3/4" flange backset, but the rim offset is Negative 19mm (3/4")?

on a 2wd vehicle in my opinion that will put some unwanted load on the fronts outer wheel bearing cup/cone.

What does this wheel look like?
not sure on the +/- of the offset, but 3-3/4" backspace is what's needed to clear 12" front brakes. I have a set of similar Cragar steel wheels in 15 x 8 that fit over the 12" brakes on my retrofitted 2000 4x4. I'm sure the bearing life will be decreased a bit. interestingly, a 2001 Sport Trac 2wd uses the same hub (except the rotor portion is 12") and bearings as a Ranger. that's a lot more weight with bigger tires from the factory on the same bearings..

Jegs lists Cragar 3975812 as 4" backspace, -13mm offset.

Last edited:

blackswamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I went online to american racing and they claim what I bought will fit..15" x 8 - 5x4.5 lug pattern-19 offset-3.75 backset in an aluminum rim I purchased steel rims with same configuration.The set up by design will have the wheel + tire extended out side the fender well by 1.5 ". The 275/60/R15 28" X 28" will barely throw my speedometer off by .5 mph on average while the 255/70/R15 29.1" X 29.1"will toss it off by 5 mph on average.So the rim fits my ford I guess the question is which tire for looks...which I haven't purchased yet.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
The set up by design will have the wheel + tire extended out side the fender well by 1.5 ".
Is that what you want?

Cosmetics are a personal reference, not all share the same desire where appearance is concerned. Perhaps if you could get a *test* sample done then you would have a visual & could decide if that's what you are comfortable with.

blackswamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Is that what you want?

Cosmetics are a personal reference, not all share the same desire where appearance is concerned. Perhaps if you could get a *test* sample done then you would have a visual & could decide if that's what you are comfortable with.
I've decided on the 275/60/R15 most likely this Thursday mounted balanced and installed.You're correct Cosmetics are a personal preference.This is something I've never tried before ...I'm retired 64 and this will most likely be my last vehicle.I guess I was looking for somebody else to make the decision for me..lol This is the look I'm comfortable with.Thanks for all the input you've opened new things to think about.:D I'll get er done and add pictures soon.This wont be the last thing I do to this truck.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I've decided on the 275/60/R15 most likely this Thursday mounted balanced and installed.You're correct Cosmetics are a personal preference.This is something I've never tried before ...I'm retired 64 and this will most likely be my last vehicle.I guess I was looking for somebody else to make the decision for me..lol This is the look I'm comfortable with.Thanks for all the input you've opened new things to think about.:D I'll get er done and add pictures soon.This wont be the last thing I do to this truck.

275's.....those are indeed *fat* tires, here I'm thinking that the 235's on my 15x7's are plenty wide.....lol

I'll bet that your steering will get a little heavier to turn :D, when I mount the 215/65 winter tires I do notice that the steering is a little lighter.

blackswamp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your input it made me look into another aspect of this set up ...being scrub radius. I did not investigate that and it's a killer for this set up on this truck. Quote from a Chevy site "Conventional wisdom says that the wider a tire is, the more traction it provides and the better performance it offers. However, this is not always true.

Tire width must be considered in relation to your suspension. If you do not also have a modified suspension, wider tires have the potential to make your car less safe by making it harder to handle. You may find it harder to steer, and your wheels may react so violently to changes in the road that the steering wheel jerks out of your hands while driving." so back to the drawing board.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals