• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheeling around Juneau, AK?

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm gonna be on a business trip in Juneau, AK for the next two weeks. I got a new Jeep rented and want to at least take it on some fire roads to see more of the back country. Searching the Internet leaves with the impression that NO ONE wheels in Juneau. I can't see how thats possible with all that land out there and with all the wheeling going on in the rest of the state. Anyone have some suggestions?

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I've never been to Juneau, but if I'm correct, its an island. So that would be a big part of the reason.....

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you're not correct...

PARKINGLOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My guess is crbnunit would be the guy to talk to...

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
crbnunit wheels Anchorage though. Juneau and Anchorage are pretty far away from each other. But if he knows, hopefully he sees the thread.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
Oh ok my bad. I grew up in Kodiak, but don't the Southeast at all. Ive never been down that way. It seems like a lot of rural alaska, or what i have seen, is open to exploring. I know a lot of hunting/fishing spots are fairly remote and require some form of wheeling. If you have no luck on here, and you're still interested you could probably ask at a local outdoors type store.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm gonna be on a business trip in Juneau, AK for the next two weeks. I got a new Jeep rented and want to at least take it on some fire roads to see more of the back country. Searching the Internet leaves with the impression that NO ONE wheels in Juneau. I can't see how thats possible with all that land out there and with all the wheeling going on in the rest of the state. Anyone have some suggestions?
i used to live in juneau and trust me you won't find a place to off road there... i've tried. There isn't even a place to use ATV's or Snowmachines. It's mostly because it is surrounded by a protected national forest. The Tongass National Forest. So there is no place to go but maybe after 4 years they now have a place to go i don't know? But i am going to visit during spring break i will go look around again. also juneau is part of the mainland but douglas island is an island that is a part of juneau. Not looking good though because i have never seen a car there with a speck of mud because there isn't even a dirt road there. But if you like hiking then there is a ton of "Hiking" Trails:shok:. and if you like fishing then there is tons of that too. Sorry to burst your bubble but hey maybe you'll get lucky and find a trail.

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You're not bursting my bubble per se but you are dead on. Its almost impossible to believe. I walked around downtown Juneau tonight and saw a dozen lifted vehicles but each one was spotless. When I see the one Jeep again, I'll find the owner and ask him.

I did find a Harley dealer who has a big ad for "heated Harley accessories" in the front window.

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i live in juneau ak. it sucks for off roading. when off roaders finally make a trail the state comes in and blocks it off with huge rocks. we used to have echo cove but then the stupid greenies complained and got it taken away. if your gonna wanna come to ak to wheel, go to haines alaska. thats where all the logging roads and its the best place in southeast to go. and theres only 1 cops who never leaves the station....

arrabil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, everyone told me to go to Haines. Not to be a butthole but I heard from more than one source that echo cove would still be open if you guys had been a little quieter. My host showed me all the camp sites on the water that get used regularly right around echo cove and he explained that basically you guys were throwing wild parties, drinking, drugging, and not using mufflers for those mud runs. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for wild parties, drinking, drugging, and what ever else you were doing, but when you're already on the hot seat, being stupid about it does you no good.

I was actually gonna ask Ms Palin about it but I only had thirty seconds with her and she did all the talking. :)

95RangerAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yeah i dont really know why echo cove got shut down. tis gay tho. but there is one trail i have heard about in juneau. its behind mike hatch jeep in douglas if you guys ever get up here... but thats just hearsay. ive gone there and never been able to get up there with my stock ranger....

Ak_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, everyone told me to go to Haines. Not to be a butthole but I heard from more than one source that echo cove would still be open if you guys had been a little quieter. My host showed me all the camp sites on the water that get used regularly right around echo cove and he explained that basically you guys were throwing wild parties, drinking, drugging, and not using mufflers for those mud runs.

:)
There are Alot of trucks up here that dont run mufflers lol. Thing is you are in the capital, thats where your going to find alot of the greenies and the politically correct. Not saying your like that 95RangerAK so please dont take that as an attack :D But you cant judge what this whole state is like by one town. I live up by Wasilla and you see alot of lifted trucks that are running loud exhaust systems and such but just because some one is running a loud truck doesnt meen they are out drugging up and leaving trash every where. Yes there are some that do but I would also like to pile all that trash in the cab of there truck lol. I guess what Im saying is dont think all of alaska is like Juneau. Never been there my self but I have a few family members that have and hey all said that it was kind of an uptight town. Again 95RangerAK not aiming this at you in any way :D lol. If you want to wheel, next time you come up head out to Jim Creak by Palmer or out towards Talkeetna up the Parks hwy also.

Fordisthebest30

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 and 2.2
Transmission
Manual
I've never been to Juneau, but if I'm correct, its an island. So that would be a big part of the reason.....
juneau isn't an island, its a part of the mainand fyi. if your looking for a wheeling spot you have to drive all the way out to echo cove, and its probably too much for the jeep. but by the thunder mountain high school there's a little mud hole, but honestly there's no legal wheeling grounds in juneau, and i know becaus ei live in juneau

xiami

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alaska's capital city, Juneau, is one of the few major destinations in America with drive-up glaciers. Locals get their cars stuck four wheeling on the beach—in snow, not sand. With a population of 30,000, Juneau's ferries stay busy shuttling back and forth to the mainland, cruising the marine highway for want of a paved road connecting the city to the state. Gold brought visitors to the area in the late 19th century—now visitors bring the gold that helps keep this isolated region bustling. In addition to an array of cultural and artistic offerings, Juneau has a range of natural curiosities (like Glacier Gardens) to appease the traveler.
Around Juneau, trails lead through glaciers, up mountains and down abandoned mines. Ice-climbers can pick in on Mendenhall Glacier Trails northwest of town. In the winter, Eaglecrest Ski Area boasts thirty ski trails while the City Parks and Recreation Department guides cross-country ski tours. Point Bridget State Park is 38 miles north of Juneau but is often flush with wildlife and hiking trails when the snow melts.
Package sea-kayaking tours can be booked in Juneau. The more independent traveller can charter kayak drop-offs (for destinations further a field) and kayak rental, or shorter guided tours. Rafters or canoeists can ride the Mendenhall River, a relatively tame, albeit cold, stretch of water, down into Mendenhall Lake.
Anglers and whale watchers can try their big fish finding luck on any number of the charter boats operating out of Juneau. Or, wing it with scenic wildlife and glaciers tours in a chartered helicopter or plane- no helicopter fishing available at this time. For a closer encounter with the sea, enjoy a salmon-bake at a Juneau restaurant.
Juneau's 3,100 square mile sprawl is located south of Haines and Skagway on the Alaska Marine Highway. Flights leave regularly for the Alaskan mainland and the continental US.

alaskanmountaineer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
or muskeg i wheel around juneau and if were not on the beach were hanging in muskeg if you ever need someone to show you around when your in town pm me

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals