• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheelin in northen WI

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Just wanted to see if anyone was interested in doing some wheelin one of these weekends. I was planning on heading up to McCaslin Mountain near Lakewood, WI. I was up there earlier this year to scout everything out, and it was awesome. Tons of trails with everything....rocks, hills, bogs, sand, gravel, washouts. There is also another area up there called Pipeline that we could check out. I have all the waypoints in my GPS.

I don't know of anybody who offroads much here in central WI, so it would be cool to get a group together. If you live in the area here let me know.

Redjosh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 and 2008
Make / Model
dodge
Transmission
Manual
what are the rules at McCaslin mountian

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
what are the rules at McCaslin mountian

Below are the official rules, however when I went there they didn't check anything on my truck. The only thing they said was no alcohol on the trail and I should head back out by 10 pm. Very laid back place and GREAT wheelin...

Steering & Linkage
Steering box and linkage can not be loose when turning steering wheel.

Brakes & Lines
Must have front & rear brakes. Lines must be secured to the axle and/or frame. Peddle cannot be spongy or sink to floor, brakes must have pressure.

Roll Bar/Non-Removable Hard Top
Vehicle with full removable top must have roll bar securely mounted. Vehicles with altered body/chassis/drive train combinations are required to follow roll bar rules as stated for removalbe hard top. (Examples of altered body/chassis/drive train combinations are S10 Pickup on full size chassis, old style Bronco on full size Bronco frame, etc.) Basically, any vehicle body that was not factory built to handle a roll-over with the additional modified weight will require additional roll bar protection for it's occupants.

Exhaust System
Must have mufflers attached to engine, no open headers or staight pipes. ONly stock mufflers, no glass packs.

Tire Size/Lug Nuts
Maximum tire size is 40 inches. Must have ALL lug nuts.

Seats
Must be securely mounted to body.

Seat Belts
Must be properly anchored. Must be worn by all passengers. Child seats/protection required as mandated by state law.

Suspension System & U-Bolts
No threaded rod for U-Bolts. No suspension damage. No lift blocks between front axle houseing and front spring.

Battery Mount
Must be O.E.M. style or equivalent. No wire,rubber or nylon straps allowed. Battery must not move.

Additional Safety Features
Floorboards must be able to protect passengers from bodily injury. No visible fluid leaks on vehicle. No antennas ove 48 inches.

JohnnyU

"Outlaw"
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
Ls2
Transmission
Automatic
Steering & Linkage
Steering box and linkage can not be loose when turning steering wheel.
So does this exclude full-hydro steering?

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
So does this exclude full-hydro steering?

I have no idea, but I would be very surprised if they didn't allow full hydro. It seems to me like the rules are there to cover themselves in case of an accident. They don't seem to be enforced.

When I went there, they didn't even look at my truck. I also came up on some rigs running around with just straight pipes.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Is there ANYONE in north/central WI that goes offroading?? It can't be just me.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Evan,
There was someone in the Point area asking where to go awhile back, think he had gone to school up in Houghton. Sounds like fun but my 4x4 is my DD for the Winter.
Know of any good suspension shop there that would do the drop/flip on a 4x2? The one in Wausau I used before, said no this time.
Dave - Almost in Amherst

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Evan,
There was someone in the Point area asking where to go awhile back, think he had gone to school up in Houghton. Sounds like fun but my 4x4 is my DD for the Winter.
Know of any good suspension shop there that would do the drop/flip on a 4x2? The one in Wausau I used before, said no this time.
Dave - Almost in Amherst

Dave, since I do all my own work I'm not very knowledgeable on shops around here. Too bad you don't have an offroading rig. It would be real nice to find a few guys (or girls) around here that enjoy the sport. And there's some GREAT wheelin only about 2 hrs. from here.

With the high gas prices it's a good time to buy and build a rig. I've seen well-running Gen 1 Explorers selling for $600 around here.

Slingblade

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is there ANYONE in north/central WI that goes offroading?? It can't be just me.

i do but i'm not exactly central. Isn't there supposed to be a park opening up north of wasau.

Ive been to mccaslin many times, its great. i should talk you into meeting up there somtime. members of my club are planing a trip there oct. 10-11th we wheel all day and then eat and whoever wants to wheel more (me) go for a night run. as long as your out by 9 or 10pm and then sunday wheeling for the willing. I got a broken u-joint waiting to be fixed atm. and ive been busy.

chris

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
I'd go if i weren't stuck down here in Ohio. I'll be moving back to Mosinee at the end of the year though. If you're still looking for a wheeling partner next year, i'm in.

My mufflers ain't stock though...:flipoff:

Edit: Have you tried point rootbeer?
________
NO2 VAPORIZER

Last edited:

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I'd go if i weren't stuck down here in Ohio. I'll be moving back to Mosinee at the end of the year though. If you're still looking for a wheeling partner next year, i'm in.

My mufflers ain't stock though...:flipoff:

Edit: Have you tried point rootbeer?

Hell yeah man. It will be good to have someone around here to wheel with.

As far as exhaust, I wouldn't worry about it. They didn't even look at my truck. And there was a guy in a FS Bronco running around with open headers. I think all those rules are just to cover their ass.

Yes, I've tried Point Root Beer. It's pretty damn good. But I have not tried Point Beer yet.

northerncountry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey I am from up by rice lake I am thinking about comming home in september I have a big 68 f100 I would like to run on the trails she needs a tune up but other than that should be good to go

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I am headed up to McCaslin this weekend with a buddy. He's got a 1991 Cherokee with a 4" SkyJacker and 31" BFGs. We plan to get there at 10:00am on Saturday, 8/16 and leave around 6pm. If there is some interest and some other people show up as well, I'd be down for staying the night, hitting some bars, and doing a little wheelin on Sunday.

derek54401

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercury
Engine Size
302 V8
madison?

anything down by madison? used to live in wausau, and got up north quite a bit, but now it's a long way from madison.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals