• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel/tire upgrade for 2003 Ranger XL?

Ottersan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Need advice.

Interested in upgrading the stock wheels tires on a 2003 Ranger XL, regular cab, 118" wheelbase, 3.0V6... all stock, no lift.

Really like the look of Pro Comp 7089 Series Alloy Wheels and specs of Michelin Latitude Touring tires.

Question: would there be any problems with the following upgrade? Would they fit OK? Look proportional? Any other thoughts?

Wheels: 7089 Series Alloy Wheels, 5 x 4.5" Bolt Pattern/Aluminum (17" x 8")
Tires: Michelin Latitude Tour - P255/75R17 113T

I am a novice when it comes to truck upgrades, but I saw a similar setup and liked the look.

Hope I posted this right -- first post...

THANKS!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Need juuuust a little bit more info

What size tires are currently on your truck? The tires you listed spec out to about 25", which is pretty small. If you change the size too much you'll have to re-calibrate your speedometer.

As for the Rims:

Bolt pattern is correct, what backspacing are they listed at? Stock Ranger 15" rims are 7" wide with 4.5" backspacing. Tech library suggests the backspacing for a 8" wide wheel is 3.75 inches with -19mm offset. The diameter is fine, you won't hit anything.

Ottersan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Captain Ledd!

To be clear, I have no idea what I am doing, despite my earnest googling, so your answer is now the gospel from which I will deviate.

On it now: P225/70R15 A/S w 15" Argent Steel wheels.

I really wanted to go with something larger for a beefier ranger look, but as you pointed out, I think my first stab was off -- it is indeed too small based on your analysis, and not what I was going for. ..and I do not mind if I have to pay for some speedo recal, if that is something that can be done without major surgery (< hundred bucks? two?...)

How about this mix:
American Racing AR902 Wheels, Satin Black, 5 x 4.5" Bolt Pattern, 4" Back Spacing, and...
Michelin Latitude Tour - P265/70R15 110T

I read that it will give me about a 30" diameter? Frankly, I'd like to get close to the max diameter I can without rubbing and while still staying stock on suspension/body.

Thanks for entertaining the Newb.

Attachments

Ottersan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Or......

235/65R17
on
AR902 17 Rims (5x4.5) with a 0mm Offset?

I read Redneckstone's tire size guide post and it seems it would fit, but now I am doubting myself? This is tougher than i thought...

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't want to have to figure out tire spacing (within the fenders) and offset/back spacing, you could go with a set of Edge wheels (16") and then get some 245/75-16 tires for those wheels. The Edge is a derivative of the base XL so you wouldn't have to worry about fit issues. Just a thought.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Whoops, forgot about this over the holidays.

Current tire/wheel package = 27.4" diameter
P265/70R15 = 29.6" diameter
235/65R17 = 29"

Either will work, but will need some speedo correction. 30" is about tops for a 2wd truck, though 31's can fit with some rubbing. 31's generally fit well under the 4x4 stuff no issue.

As far as backspacing and offset, as long as you're close, it shouldn't be that bad. None of your wheel/tire combinations should hit brake calipers or body panels. The greater the backspacing (larger number) the closer it will sit inward in the wheel well. Less backspacing (smaller number) will make the wheels stick out from the truck. I'd say keep it to within 1/2" either direction and you *should* be good, erring on the side of less backspacing (ex: 4").

There's so many wheels and options out there we can only offer so much guidance. Sometimes it just takes a leap of faith!

Ottersan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks again, Capt Ledd! I holidayed a bit as well...

I am probably gonna pull the trigger on 30 or 31's, maybe lift a touch, bushwackers, and I'll watch the backspacing.

You and the forum have been great. I'll keep checking back right up to the point I commit, and then will post before and after of the (fingers crossed) success.

Ottersan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Done: Ion Alloy 16x8's and Mich 265/70R16's - perfect

OK... I owe all the folks who helped out - and those who may struggle with the same/similar challenge - some feedback.

Here's what I did:

1) Four ION ALLOY Style 174 16x8 Wheels, JC Whitney, $131.81 ea, Part #: ION1746865B
2) Four Michelin Latitude 265/70R16 111T ($176.48 ea w/ Free Prime shipping from Amazon)
3) L222191001 Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender 21910-01 Fender Flares kit

Stock suspension w/ no tweaks.
Perfect fit on all - no rubbing.

Thanks all - upload of pics is not working, but will try again later.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals