• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel Horse Mower

84tony

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Try a-ztractor.com for used wheel horse parts. He has a LOT of old wheel horse's that he has disassembled and then sells the parts (parts are listed under Toro, since Toro was the last owner of the Wheel Horse brand)). There are a lot of parts on ebay also. I think you mentioned finding wheelhorseforum.com there is a lot of good info on that site. I attached an pdf file to my first reply on this thread, it is an owners manual for the 855 & 1055 tractor.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Chain, boiling water, SuperClean, and some shaking and the inside of the tank is very very clean.

Unfortunately, or maybe not since it wasn't in good shape anyway, my efforts to degum the inside of the tank stripped most of the paint off the outside of the tank. So I wire wheeled it quick, grabbed a can of red, and viola!

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Ain't dat purty.

I saw an episode of American Pickers the other day where they visited a guy with a bunch of Harley's. He had one where the fuel tank had an extra compartment. That compartment was full of whiskey that could be dispensed from a petcock under the tank. Might be a nice addition on your mower.
I really enjoyed the idea of dispensing an light Amber liquid from the fuel tank and drinking it. Nobody else needs to know it isn't gasoline.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Welp, I got it put back together, cranked and cranked and cranked, and ethered and cranked and VROOM!

It does wheelies if you aren't extremely gentle with the clutch.

It looks like the hydro pump may leak a bit. I still haven't tried to use it. As soon as the kids saw it move I was roped into trying to figure out how to get all three of us on the seat.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That's a good idea. Normally I'd have thrown the little one in the yard trailer, but it's been raining on and off all week and it's full of water.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
build a small bench seat to replace the pan style seat. my '42 allis has a small bench an it works out ok with a rider. (only 1 though)

19104897_10212891611235373_1761300616_o by dave bird, on Flickr
Your B looks like a C from there.

C's had the wider rear axle and bolt on wheels with dished centers. B's have the rear wheels closer to the fenders with more flat centers. C's had the steering arm go up, B's were down and the serials are different, B's start with a B and C's start with a C. Of course everything interchanges so there are a lot of mutants running around.

I have a '47 C.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Your B looks like a C from there.

C's had the wider rear axle and bolt on wheels with dished centers. B's have the rear wheels closer to the fenders with more flat centers. C's had the steering arm go up, B's were down and the serials are different, B's start with a B and C's start with a C. Of course everything interchanges so there are a lot of mutants running around.

I have a '47 C.

What letter was that goofy looking little allis with the rear engine? L? K? I seen one for sale a few weeks back. Thought it looked kinda cool. Prolly allis answer to the cub?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What letter was that goofy looking little allis with the rear engine? L? K? I seen one for sale a few weeks back. Thought it looked kinda cool. Prolly allis answer to the cub?
That was the G. It was kind of in a league of its own, there are several companies still making more modern versions today.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My brother has a '42 B, I must have read B instead of C.

Wartime B's (like my brothers) that were sold on steel wheels received a taller air stack and fenders that hung over farther than normal B/C's.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
There are LOADS of rear wheel options that have been used on C's over the years. We own three or four C's right now.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
That was the G. It was kind of in a league of its own, there are several companies still making more modern versions today.

Ill be damned.

I could see how they'd be useful for people with large gardens that are to small for a tractor tractor, but to large for a garden tractor.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are LOADS of rear wheel options that have been used on C's over the years. We own three or four C's right now.
Yeah, the vast majority are the deep dish 5 lug cast centers with 24" tires like mine and racsan's though. The asparagus specials and the like are not really common.

Ill be damned.

I could see how they'd be useful for people with large gardens that are to small for a tractor tractor, but to large for a garden tractor.
Truck farmers/farmers market farmers are where they are big.

We had a G in the shop late last year, the visibility was phenomenal. One row at a time but you can see EVERYTHING that happens with that one row.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Up until a year ago or so, we had the country's largest privately owned/operated Allis museum nearby. It covered about 6 acres or so, with more buildings than you could count. He had one entire building dedicated to the G model. He had G tractors that no one had ever even heard of or seen. Several prototype G's. He had one that the front was converted to a carry-all for delivering parts around the Allis factory, and he had pictures of it being used in the factory to deliver those parts. A truly amazing collection. Hundreds of tractors, implements, parts, and even an entire Allis dealership that he'd purchased and replicated in a pole building, and it contained thousands of NOS parts still in the original bags. He had a really neat late WC high crop for working in cane fields that came from Louisiana. A couple Speed Patrols. Very early Allis tractors on steel. A pick-up truck (Chevrolet I think) that had Allis badges and was used by the factory maintenance workers. A couple TL series front end loaders. Several Terra Tigers and a couple dozen AC garden tractors. Even an Allis welder that weighed more than two men could move. I wanted to buy it but I don't have a shop with a concrete floor to move it around on. More rare stuff than I'd ever seen in my life.

He finally sold it all after 40+ years of being open to the public by appointment only. I dropped by one day and he spent 6 hours showing me the entire facility. I ended up buying a NOS Allis generator that mounts to the rear of a 700/900 series Allis garden tractor. About 40% of the collection was purchased by one guy that was building his own Allis museum. He was coming by about once every 2 months and filling up a 32ft gooseneck trailer.

The old farmer has since gotten in to restoring old automobiles with his son, since his son wasn't interested in tractors. He already owned several hotrods and other classics. A 1920-30's Cadillac, Model T's and A's, etc.. I need to stop by again and see what he's up to. I'm sure he'd still show me around.

Sorry for the threadjack guys.

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Got the blade belts replaced today, put the deck on, it wouldn't cut. Pulled the deck back out, I put the blades on backwards and the dull side was leading.

Flipped them around and it cuts great. Now I just have to deal with the leaking hydro pump.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

We dun did some mowing today.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals