• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel hop

Rallyranger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys. My truck gets really bad wheel hop. I use the truck for rally cross racing so it's always spinning the tires. It has new procomp es9000 shocks all the way around. I installed a new set of james duff traction bars also. I have had 5 other rangers and this is the only one that has had wheelhop issues. I'm still running the 7.5 with a welded diff. I have an 8.8 I need to rebuild. I was thinking about using some explorer leafs and running it spring under. I don't know if that would help or not. Only thing I can think of is that it may need bushings in the springs and shackles. Any advice would be appreciated

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Hey guys. My truck gets really bad wheel hop. I use the truck for rally cross racing so it's always spinning the tires. It has new procomp es9000 shocks all the way around. I installed a new set of james duff traction bars also. I have had 5 other rangers and this is the only one that has had wheelhop issues. I'm still running the 7.5 with a welded diff. I have an 8.8 I need to rebuild. I was thinking about using some explorer leafs and running it spring under. I don't know if that would help or not. Only thing I can think of is that it may need bushings in the springs and shackles. Any advice would be appreciated
Sounds like you're on the right path. I would start with making sure all your bushings are good. Then, maybe stiffer springs in addition to the traction bars. I don't think having spring over or under axle makes a difference. The welded diff might have an affect when cornering, since the wheels are locked together. Something has to slip. Whether a wheel slips or hops may also have to do with how "sticky" the tires are.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
wheel hop during acceleration? i had to put traction bars on my old 65 mustang when it started doing that

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Race truck needs 4 link.

No hop with 4 link 😊

Rallyranger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It will wheel hop while the tires are spinning in a straight line and while being sideways. On dirt and gravel it's not as bad as pavement. The tires are a pretty soft compound. I haven't tried any different tires out. I'm thinking it might be bushings in the leaf springs. The truck has 280k miles.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Race truck needs 4 link.

No hop with 4 link 😊
You didn't know the wife's '82 Mustang; it would certainly hop with its 4 link.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
You didn't know the wife's '82 Mustang; it would certainly hop with its 4 link.
That's annoying, especially if you couldn't get it to stop with pressure changes.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Make sure the traction bar snubber is hitting the spring eye, not the spring. I had to lengthen mine to accomplish that back in the day.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's annoying, especially if you couldn't get it to stop with pressure changes.
Installing the "quad shocks" from back in the day helped a lot. Soft bushings to ensure a "compliant" ride certainly didn't help.

Rallyranger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
This is the type of traction bars. I haven't messed with the preload on them at all. Maybe I will give it some more preload this weekend. I also did a shackle reversal to get the back end down a little bit.

Attachments

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I remember reading a build thread on some guys rally-x ranger years back, he had some bad wheel hop issues... relatively sure he installed those same bars and everything was wavy gravy after that.

Edit*

Or they might have broke on him?

Apparently I don't remember.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Leaf spring clamps will help to some degree. They will stiffen up the spring pack, but will not resolve the entire problem. They will also help minimize sway on corners and twisty bits. Attach the clamp to the spring pack 5" or 6" in front of the axel. You can get a pair at Jegs, Summit Racing, or Auto Zone, for about $17.00. For what it costs, it certainly is worth the while.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rallyranger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Lol. They don't look super durable. I just wanted something that mounted above the springs to keep them from hitting the rocks that are on the course sometimes.

Rallyranger01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Leaf spring clamps will help a little, but do not resolve the entire problem. They also help to minimize sway when going around corners. For what it costs, it certainly is worth the while. Attach the clamp to the spring pack 5" or 6" in front of the axel. You can get a pair at Jegs, Summit Auto, or Auto Zone for about $17.00.
I will see if they have some at my local parts store and give them a try. Thanks for the advice. My plan is to run explorer springs spring under when I put the 8.8 in and also an explorer sway bar. Then I will have to make some weld on mounts for the axle side for the traction bars. I have alot to do to the truck. I need to rebuild the hole front-end and make some upper shock mounts to accept some 2.0 FOA shocks. I'm using the truck as a daily right now cause of diesel prices. So it might be a while till I get to it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals