• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel bearings

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
Eagles May soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!
I hope I’m posting in right forum. I have an 89 4x4 with auto locking hubs. Went to change my bearings and my passenger side had the locking pin to the nut that tightens against bearings/rotor. My driver side is missing that piece.

Does anyone know the name or part number for it? I’ve looked at the conventional places and no luck. It has grooves that fit into the inside of the nut and locks it from spinning off the axle.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm not sure they're available new... but they might be. I believe they're called spindle nuts. Try LMC truck maybe.

Make a note that next time you head to the junkyard... you pick up a couple spares.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You talking about the pin or the nut?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
try a junkyard as well.

worst case, take the one you do have and take to a machine shop and have them fab you one.

89 might have had the dana 28, not sure f the keys are the same as the 35, but if they are, that opens at least 7 more newer model years to choose from for spares when you are at the junkyard.

AJ

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo
It’s the pin that locks into the nut so it will not loosen. I’ll have to try junkyards further away. Not many around here have 4x4 rangers or bronco 2’s that were auto hubs

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I believe the pin is part of the inner nut... then there is a washer with holes that the pin will align... then there is an outer nut that jambs the whole thing together.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I believe the pin is part of the inner nut... then there is a washer with holes that the pin will align... then there is an outer nut that jambs the whole thing together.
for the auto hubs, the two nuts are completely different. the inner one secures the bearing and the outer one is only put on hand tight up to the inner one securred by a metal keyway that keeps the outer nut from turning. the outer nutholds the plastic cams for the auto hub to engage. unlike the manuals which are cranked down to Gorilla torque specs and there by have the inner nut held in place from turning by a splined washer with locating pin holes on it that you speak of.

If you notice on any pre 98 4x4 Ranger, the spindle itself has a keyway in it. this keyway is used by the auto hubs. Not sure if the factory manual spindles do not have them as they don't need them but it doesn't matter as it really makes no difference for the manual hubs if they have it or not.

@Elijah1989 I actually might have the keyways from my auto to manual conversion several years ago... if they are the same for Dana 28 as Dana 35, I will send 'em to you.

AJ

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Sorry for the confusion... I missed the auto hub part of the question.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
for the auto hubs, the two nuts are completely different. the inner one secures the bearing and the outer one is only put on hand tight up to the inner one securred by a metal keyway that keeps the outer nut from turning. the outer nutholds the plastic cams for the auto hub to engage. unlike the manuals which are cranked down to Gorilla torque specs and there by have the inner nut held in place from turning by a splined washer with locating pin holes on it that you speak of.

If you notice on any pre 98 4x4 Ranger, the spindle itself has a keyway in it. this keyway is used by the auto hubs. Not sure if the factory manual spindles do not have them as they don't need them but it doesn't matter as it really makes no difference for the manual hubs if they have it or not.

@Elijah1989 I actually might have the keyways from my auto to manual conversion several years ago... if they are the same for Dana 28 as Dana 35, I will send 'em to you.

AJ
Actually, when looking for the new part, it is called a key. The key "way" is the channel that the key fits into.

Not trying to give you a hard time. It is just easier to communicate with the correct terms.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Actually, when looking for the new part, it is called a key. The key "way" is the channel that the key fits into.

Not trying to give you a hard time. It is just easier to communicate with the correct terms.
you sir, are correct.

AJ

Elijah1989

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch body
Tire Size
265/75 R16
My credo

AJ
I don’t know if they are the same. My dummy self didn’t take a picture of it before I put it all back together for work tomorrow. I’ve had it a year with out it. So a few more days while I look down the part can’t hurt. 😂

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The spindle nuts for manual hubs use the keyways also (the tab on the locking washer fits within the keyway to prevent the whole assembly from turning, occasionally it actually works too).

1989 should have the Dana28 front axle. You'll want to look around for 1986-1990 trucks in a wrecking yard, as these would be the same as yours (with auto hubs). Some 1990 (and later) trucks will have the larger D35 axle... If it were mine, I'd actually swap the whole D35 axle in place of the D28 since it's a better (stronger) axle in almost every way (this if you have intention of running larger tires on it). The D35 axle can be found as late as 1997 under Rangers ('94 for Explorers).

It seems possible D28 & D35 auto hub keys might be the same, but I haven't compared them to verify.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals