• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel bearing upgrade

Joel Shields

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do hate packing bearings^ use to do my 84 Caprice 1 a year then I got a Thunderbird and never had a wheel bearing issue. And I beat the crap out of the Thunderbird. This ranger however needs to be repacked twice a year or more. A friend of mine suggested using the 4x4 spindle says it has the same geometry.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Something isn't right then. Even though the owner's manual recommends doing a bearing regrease about that often in RWD Rangers, they rarely ever really need it anywhere near that much. What brand of bearings are you using?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I do hate packing bearings^ use to do my 84 Caprice 1 a year then I got a Thunderbird and never had a wheel bearing issue. And I beat the crap out of the Thunderbird. This ranger however needs to be repacked twice a year or more. A friend of mine suggested using the 4x4 spindle says it has the same geometry.
For a 99?

The 4x4 and 2wd edge have a cartridge.

You drive a 100k a year? Drive across a river daily? Or do you just run overloaded?

Otherwise....
Packing 2 times a year on a 2wd ranger is about 4 times more per year then you have to.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
And yeah....I know that don't add up.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Are you installing the spindle nut with a 3/4" breaker bar? :icon_confused: you know it's only torqued to 12 INCH pounds right? Something definitely wrong.

I've done my wheel bearings 3 times in 10 years, and not even because they needed it...

Last edited:

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
The pressed in sealed bearings you are looking for can last as long as tapered roller bearings but you have to buy quality bearings (not parts super store bearing like AutoZone or Pep Boys), they have to be installed with a press and the proper bearing plate, and a few maintenance "secret" tips for best results. BUT the expense of doing the conversion so you can use such bearings is just not plain worth it. I'll take tapered roller bearings over a pressed in bearing any day. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
That's not even remotely true. Tapered bearings are designed to carry and spread/centralize the load on them. Standard radial bearings were NEVER designed to resist or carry an axial load. They're fine for a rear axle but far less than ideal for an axle that turns left to right and has to resist side-loads when cornering.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
almost,,,,

the top hole for the upper ball joint is larger for the 4WD knuckle. it only accepts the 4WD upper control arm,,,which is longer and pushes the top of the wheel way out past alignment adjusting limits.
a custom control arm could fix that.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
That's not even remotely true. Tapered bearings are designed to carry and spread/centralize the load on them. Standard radial bearings were NEVER designed to resist or carry an axial load. They're fine for a rear axle but far less than ideal for an axle that turns left to right and has to resist side-loads when cornering.

may I suggest you look at a cut-away diagram of a typical sealed front wheel bearing. they definitely are designed for side & axial loads.

Ford Taurus' used a dual roller cartridge front bearing thru 1996, not sure what newer ones are.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My Honda CR-Vs had them. The first one had about 160,000 miles on it and never changed a bearing. My second one only had the front left changed because it had become one with the CV shaft that needed replaced. That's when I found out about aftermarket bearings and replaced it yet again with a Honda bearing. At 20 years old, none of the other bearings have yet to need replaced and those bearings are used on all four corners.

That being said, I still prefer tapered over radial bearings. Easier to work on and less finicky to remove and install.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The pressed in I have been around are a double tapered bearing. Kind of two bearings (like my Ranger) in one sealed unit.

As per the front wheel bearings on my wife's Edge:

Flaming POS's that are at best worth $30 a ton. I hate them with a severe passion. Bolt on ones are slightly better, more expensive but you don't have to pull the knuckle and press the crap apart and back together.

I do mine maybe every 5-10 years and they never go bad, just need repacked. I try to keep it out of deep water too.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
pack my bearings when i do brakes just because i am there. lol

and i use the red grease.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Unit bearings were designed to sell parts... and allow for a place to mount the VSS in some cases.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Replacing all 4 wheel bearings plus races, seals AND rotors is cheaper than replacing one unit bearing...

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Replacing all 4 wheel bearings plus races, seals AND rotors is cheaper than replacing one unit bearing...
Exactly... They make more money

Probably has something to do with manufacturing too... way easier to zip a couple bolts down then fooling with all the parts and grease running down an assembly line

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
way long ago i helped a friend machine the ID of a d44 spindle snout to pressfit over a ranger spindle snout. you could try that? or maybe buy a truck with unit bearings?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals