• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wheel bearing help please

kpritchett70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 95 4x4 ranger with a 35 hybrid ttb front. I'm needing help with figuring out which wheel bearing to use the ones for a 35 or for a 28? All the parts stores have both listed for this year. I have replaced the bearings once but not sure I used the right ones and they are make ng noise again. Thanks in advance for any help.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think youll need D28 ones. As i understand the 35 hybrid is a 35 carrier with 28 guts.

kpritchett70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
That's what I was thinking but wanted to make sure. Thanks

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
You could also just go full on local purchase and take your old bearings to match them up.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Everything outside of the pumpkin is all Dana 35 stuff (wheel bearings, U joints, etc), only stuff inside the carrier (even axle stubs count here as the splines on the spider gears are smaller) is smaller and different. The auto parts systems are dumb, I've been asked what engine was in a '91 explorer before...

kpritchett70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Everything outside of the pumpkin is all Dana 35 stuff (wheel bearings, U joints, etc), only stuff inside the carrier (even axle stubs count here as the splines on the spider gears are smaller) is smaller and different. The auto parts systems are dumb, I've been asked what engine was in a '91 explorer before...
So from that if I understand correctly the inner and outer wheel bearings should be Dana 35...correct?

kpritchett70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The hybrids still take Dana 35 wheel bearings, the beam, balljoints, radius arms, spindles, rotors, outer axle shafts, hubs, steering and everything outside of the geartrain inside the pumpkin is identical to the Dana 35. The only difference is the pumpkin itself, ring gear, pinion gear, carrier, all carrier and pinion bearings, spider gears and the two axle shafts that go into the pumpkin... After mid '90 through '97 for wheel bearings you can consider all Ranger 4x4 to be Dana 35 unless you break an axle shaft or try to rebuild the differential...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I will concur that you need D35 bearings. Oddly the D28 parts are an option for a lot of trucks well into the 90's even though the very last possible year for them was 1992. They are even listed as a part for 91-94 Explorers, even though there were exactly zero Explorers built with that axle.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
And let me guess, it was to look up windshield wipers?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Probably :). I haven't had that sploder for over a decade so I don't remember anymore... the dumb thing is at one point I ordered two sets of the same brake pads from the same Napa, one for the '91 sploder and one for a I think I called it a '92 Ranger, same part number different price? it was a long time ago though so that was probably an old computer system...

I always get funny looks when I walk up to a counter to get parts for the '90, since it really depends on what I need as to what vehicle I tell them... be it a Ranger, Explorer or Thunderbird of varying years depending on the parts...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals