• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's your top speed?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The 405 is a rough freeway, at least my local stretch of it. The I-5 is no better. Anyways, idk what the speed was because my speedo only goes to 85mph, and the needle was way past it at 6 o'clock. She handles it fine other than the drivetrain feels like its about to explode.

AvlAndrew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
70-75 in my 90 B2 felt solid

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve run them 65-70 on the highway. Buried the needle a bit on my choptop but really would rather not run them at that speed, 70 is about fast enough.

My first Ranger I had up to 120 once, then it started to rain and I backed off. It handled it quite well. Buried the speedometer in my F-150 before and the dump, but that’s a bit of truck to get going that fast. Easier in the 460 powered dump than the 300 though. Wrapping a truck around a tree kinda cured a bit of that though. 70 is fast enough now. Or at least until I get done with the 5.0 swap, might have to test it out ya know…

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
my '11 Ranger pulls and handles nice up till 98 mph then speed limiter kicks in and thats all it wrote.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
My F150 cuts out at 95, too slow if you ask me....at least around here. Based on my average commute to and from work, which is light traffic in the am, heavy in the pm, one would need about 140-160mph top speed, and under 4 sec 0-60 to have stress free passing/ lane changes.

Idk what's the deal, me or them, but it seems everyone around here loves driving perfectly next to each other or in the blind spots. I will speed up and slow down for a lane change, but the car in my blind spot is doing the same. Finally will deploy what I call the slingshot holeshot. I will decelerate knowing the idiot next to me will follow pace, until there is enough clearance in front of us both for me to get over, at which time I mash the gas and swing over before they start speeding up too. repeat 5 times and there's my exit, yay I'm alive! A fast 0-60 will help with this.

This leads me to the other problem of for some reason, they will drive really slow, but then speed up when you go to pass. I call it the 55 or 95 game. they're cruising 55mph until you go to pass, then suddenly they're doing 85 pacing along with you. I call it the monkey see monkey do. This where you would need the 140-160 top speed to finally lose the idiot enough to settle back down to 75-80 without having to worry about your blind spot again, which is exactly where that same car will be if they catch up.

I think L.A. traffic is getting exponentially worse. Its just too many cars with incompetent drivers. Anywhere within 30 miles, you're looking at 45 mins to 2 hours, depending on the time and day.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
80 is normal highway speeds here so I am at that all the time. I have been to 90 just following cars on the highway. The ranger will go more and I have probably been to 100 but I cannot think of when

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Apples and oranges.

Keep in mind, that a Bronco II will simply not handle as well as a Ranger at higher speeds. Even compared to the short-box Ranger pickup, the B2 has a shorter wheelbase and higher center of gravity (due the body style).

There is a definite difference in "feel" between driving my Rangers, Explorers or Bronco II at speed. My particular B2 is one of worst examples for poor high speed handling; it's a late-production 1990 model 2WD without the dummy t-case (i.e.- even less weight low in the chassis), stock suspension and wheels. It's in great shape and drives well, but when driving it stupid fast it can get real unforgiving pretty damn fast if you're not paying attention.

Remember that the Bronco II did unfortunately have higher than normal rollover accidents, mainly from people trying to drive them as if they were (lower) compact cars, and not as a higher sport utility vehicle. Raw deal for the B2, but the replacement Explorer was a lot more refined and much more stable in its driving manners.

One reason I like these old trucks so much, is the variety of the basic platform. The first 11 years (1983-1994, what I collect and drive) you have a short box pickup, long box pickup, super cab pickup, two different 2 door SUVs, and a 4 door SUV. Three body styles (four with the Mazda version), two interior styles. A fairly good amount of drivetrain options. And they all used to be real common and dirt cheap.

They're kinda like the tinker toys of trucks.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Oh man. I didn't realize I was in the b2 section. Sorry

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
Well lets see.... I hit limiter in the ranger so compensating for oversize tires it was ~107mph. In the bronco I had the speedo pegged so extrapolating based off RPM and oversized tires ~100mph. The bronco had more in it with the 2.9 and probably even more with the 4.0, but I'm not sure I want to try my luck.

ranger almost max speed.pngbronco max.png
The ranger was not photographed at programmed limit but you get the point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals