• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whats your favorite "all terrain" tire

97ranger xlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a brand new set of kumho a/t's. Belt busted on the first one at 2,500 miles. A second belt busted at 5k. I took them off and bought a set of general grabber at2's. 30k later and plenty of tread with plenty of grip in 4wd.
wow that's something. sorry for what happened to you. i have been running on kumho a/t's for over 2 years now with zero problems
and the tread is also holding up....
sounds like they are not very consistent so will cross fingers here, but sofar they have been a very good tire in my opinion. maybe a little
on the loud side compared to firestone destinations.
i did have a set of kumhos on a jetta i had and thought they were excellent so i figured give their a/t's a try...

bruker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mastercraft AXT's here. I've been running Mastercrafts on my vehicles for a long time.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
i have been eye balling something like the toyo r/t but, they look like some brodozer tire.
lol

When you say "brodozer tire", I think of the Super Swamper M16, Nitto Mud Grappler, or the Trail Blade (forgot who makes it)...
The Toyo R/T is a quite typical "aggressive-all-terrain" tire. The Dick Cepek Fun Country, as well as the Goodyear Duratrac also are solidly in this category. The Cooper Discoverer ST looks like might fit here as well, though I've no experience with them.

FWIW, we put a set of Kumho tires on a little 2WD Toyota (some type of all-season, Solus or something?). They too were egg-shaped (all 4 of them) and vibrated noticeably.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i forgot about the cooper discoverer st and st maxx. ive ran the original st on a few rigs, they seem to last a long time, and hold there own in most mild situations. looks like cooper now has a discoverer mtp design. the st maxx looks like a fairly reasonable pattern, to me any ways.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
As long as you stay away from these....

701c9172-69ea-4e84-a06f-896cf29a9d52.jpg

Youll be fine in the brodozer catagory.

Have you tried treadwright retreads? I had a set on my Expedition, same pattern as aBFG KO and a set of 33s delivered for like 450 bucks.

Had no issues with them.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Toyo Open Country AT2s, had them on my truck for about 10k miles with no significant wear to speak of, and held up better than the general grabber AT3s they replaced.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Toyo Open Country AT2s, had them on my truck for about 10k miles with no significant wear to speak of, and held up better than the general grabber AT3s they replaced.
Everybody raves about the AT3, I seem to be only one that is underwhelmed by them. I was checking them last night and noticed they are dry rotting. I got them in '16, date code is '16. Way more dry rot than the '09 date code BFG's I got in 2010 I still have in the barn for spares.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a set of BFG KO2 A/Ts on my Explorer now. Love em. I have put about 6k on them so far, quite a bit of that off road.

I had a set of KO A/Ts before on my old '96 Ranger. Also loved them. Actually I liked them better than the new ones but I guess that was mostly appearance and not actual performance.

I guess time will tell if the KO2's deserve the hate they're getting but so far I am very satisfied with them.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I have a set of BFG KO2 A/Ts on my Explorer now. Love em. I have put about 6k on them so far, quite a bit of that off road.

I had a set of KO A/Ts before on my old '96 Ranger. Also loved them. Actually I liked them better than the new ones but I guess that was mostly appearance and not actual performance.

I guess time will tell if the KO2's deserve the hate they're getting but so far I am very satisfied with them.
Rumor has it early production KO2s had manufacturing issues (as in, the rubber was of lower quality) and it since has been corrected.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
wow that's something. sorry for what happened to you. i have been running on kumho a/t's for over 2 years now with zero problems
and the tread is also holding up....
sounds like they are not very consistent so will cross fingers here, but sofar they have been a very good tire in my opinion. maybe a little
on the loud side compared to firestone destinations.
i did have a set of kumhos on a jetta i had and thought they were excellent so i figured give their a/t's a try...
I appreciate it. You never know what factory and materials will be used to mold tires. I think you it's just a gamble you have to take sometimes. My grandma has had troubles with the walmart exclusive goodyear viva tires popping belts.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Everybody raves about the AT3, I seem to be only one that is underwhelmed by them. I was checking them last night and noticed they are dry rotting. I got them in '16, date code is '16. Way more dry rot than the '09 date code BFG's I got in 2010 I still have in the barn for spares.
Initially the Generals did very well for me, but toward the end of their life they wore exponentially quicker, started dry-rotting and got fairly noisy.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I put duratracs on my 14 ram the fuel mileage dropped significantly but I like them anyway. I never would have gotten them originally but it was one of those great I need tires and and its a 8-12 week wait for my normal general grabbers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals