• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the easiest way to sharpen a chainsaw chain?

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I need some suggestions on the easiest way to sharpen a chainsaw chain without just taking it somewhere or buying a new one. For some reason I just can't seem to figure out how to get a chain as sharp as a new chain is. The best luck I've had is with an electric sharpener that hooks to 12 volt but it was a china one and the stones didn't last to long and just fell apart. So, any suggestions on a sharpener? Has anyone tried a Timberline sharpener? a Granberg Bar-Mount Chain Saw Sharpener? or a Husqvarna Sharp Force Chain Saw File guide?

Last edited:

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
El cheapo 110 plug in sharpener from harbor freight mounted to a 2x4 is all we use at work.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I just have a file and guide set I sharpen mine by hand. I also have a stone and guide that goes in my Dremel for using at home. The stones do not last very long, so I just use the file at home most of the time as well.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I just use a file.

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've tried a file with and without a guide. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't do anything then other times it does make a good difference but nothing close to how new chains are. And I have the right size file and I have the correct angle on it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T10278-Chain-Saw-Filing-Guide-Grizzly-Industrial-NEW-/281154939518?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417623ea7e
I just use a sharp fine round file you can get at any hardware store. Once you find the right size file them all evenly getting the angle right just file them all until you can feel the burr. Then take a fine flat file and measure the rakers with a flat edge across the top of the teeth you should see about 1/32 inch light above the raker. That is the curved thing between the teeth. This is one of the many type guides you can use.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I've tried a file with and without a guide. Sometimes it seems like it doesn't do anything then other times it does make a good difference but nothing close to how new chains are. And I have the right size file and I have the correct angle on it. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
If you dont file the rakers down the teeth dont take enough wood to cut properly.:icon_thumby:

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought one of those gauges too, but currently the chains on the saws I use have only been "sharpened" 2-3 times. But I did check the rakers and they were within where they should be.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Are you filing down each tooth in equal amounts? Meaning say making 5 strokes on each tooth? You also need the file guide so you can tell if the rakers are too high if so they can cause kickbacks and improper cuts, along with making it feel like the chain is dull.

How old are your chains? You may need to start with a new chain, then as it becomes dull sharpen it using a round hand file the correct diameter for your chain. Not all chain teeth have the same diameter teeth, so you need to match the chain and file.

For example the chain on my chainsaw uses a 3/16" diameter file, using any other size file will render the chain useless as you start filing the teeth wrong and pretty soon they aren't cutting.

Maybe this video will help you as well. This guy has a lot of very useful small engine videos as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PTXj1VIlbc

Last edited:

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a gauge and file in a set for just the rakers and have used the gauge but never had to file anything. and I do file the teeth that do the cutting all an even amount. My chains are no older than 7 years old. But I use up to 3 different saws. and my pile of wood for winter is just a 1949 f-4 flatbed full of wood even with the top of the cab and a trailer about the same size with no stakes to hold the wood on square. So it's not all that much wood.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
The harbor freight electric sharpener is worth the $30... do it... I mounted mine to a 6" long 2x4 and stick it in my vise when I need it, stick it on the shelf when I don't...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals