• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the biggest towed?

sublime68charger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
wasn't really heavy to pull at all but trying to get up to speed would have been an empty gravity Box I pulled behind the 87 Extend Cab. would only due 50 MPH man that thing had wind resistance. just a big emtpy Metal Box behing the truck only went 20 miles.

other than that. trailer with 2 4 wheelers and the box full of Wood is the most it's done.

Pulled small trees out of the front yard with it. only 6 ft High and 3" around.

just give a good yank and out them come.

sublime out.

Wanderer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
entire inground pool kit minus the re-bar/concrete/gravel...poolwall and support bars...about 700lbs...

and I USED to have a 14ft th wheel trailer I hauled a few other rangers/jeeps on..worked ok..transmission didnt care for it though...I gotta pic somewhere...

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
an s-10 full of scrap metal, when i say full i mean the cab was filled to the windows and the bed was heaping with a tarp over it, on a dual axle car trailor thats very front heavy.(no bed on my ranger and my 31' tires)

after that would be my 87 cadi coupe deville on a rediculously heavy trailor... this was also without the bed on the ranger and the 31s and it looked like rear springs were bowed the wrong way :| YIKES!! too that one easy it was a rather long trip.

and after that would be my greatest dump tow.... an 81 mustang with an inline 6 from alberta to southern ontario, in the ranger with bone stock everything... maybe even stock ball joints that were damn near ready to fall apart when i left from ontario to get the car. Had to change the front tires half way just to make sure they didn't blow from the insides wearing down to nothing.

Now THAT was stupid ... i learned my lesson!!!!

liquidcobra

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here's mine. The car is a Merkur Scorpio. Pulled it 120km.

dangerranger0690

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
a load of scrap on a trailer (3 small truck cabs with half the frame that were loaded with old engines and crap covered by an old manure spreader) with a bed full of scrap golf cart batteries, top speed of 50 and slow stopping

amw_drizz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't see a point in towing 'heavy' loads with a Ranger. I have two full-size trucks with the appropriate drivetrain, weight, and most importantly, adequately-sized brakes for doing so in a safe and reliably manor.

:icon_cheers:
i agree and my ranger dont have enough power cause timing is off and carb aint allowing enough fuel in. i got a rig sitting in my yard that is more than capable of haul upto 6 tons (12,000lbs) and the truck weighs 9,800lbs dead empty so thats over 20,000lbs of steel moving down the road for my rig and she can handle it, helped my father build her up. :clapping::headbang: 87 f350 custom, with 5 1/2 ton load leafs car carrier 4:11 gears 4spd 351m

i dont use my ranger for towing and prolly wont either, just to move precious metals from my yard to the scrap yard 30 miles away.

a pic of my hauler if you want to see it, but yea ranger :stop: wont tow with it.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think anyone is glorifying pulling a heavy load, just a fun thread. I just wish my Ranger had a greater towing capacity because in most other ways, it's perfect. Hate having two trucks to do a couple chores (but don't tell my GF that!)

THE WHITE RHINO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i had 4 350 blocks 2 454 blocks an arc welder tool box, 3 turbo 350 trannys, and an sm465 with 205 transfercase the leafs were hurting bad

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
i had aprox. 4000lbs of trailer and cargo behind my 96 2wd 2.3L 5speed. hauled it 200 miles to the other end of MA. only had to use 1st gear once. thank god i built that trailer with electric brakes!

Edit: oh yeah, i pulled that on the bumper. no 2" reciever hitch. prolly not the smartest thing in the world :p

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have towed in one trip:

1)My 16ft dovetail trailer (1880#)
On it I carried:
2)a Friend's 1987 Saab 900Turbo (3050#)
3)My brothers FULL SnapOn "Black Night" toolbox roll-cabinet.
In the bed of my truck
4)The top box of his toolbox

Total package weight for the trailer was well in excess of 6000#
plus the 4000lb my truck weighs with me, my 235# brother, and a 275# friend.

That was with the 2.9/5sp/3.73 gears.

Total distance covered with the load? 125 miles, what was worse was when I got back it was snowing and I had to STOP and put the chains on my truck so I could get up the hill to my house.

Longest tow? (2.9/5sp/3.73's)

From LaPorte, Indiana with the same 16ft dovetail trailer
and a 3400# Milling machine mounted to the deck of the trailer
To South Plainfield New Jersey. just under 750miles.

Longest tow period? Deadheading the Dovetail trailer back to home (Palmerton, PA)
From Bar Nunn, Wyoming, 1858 miles.
Though this was after converting the truck to 4x4, switching to 4.10 gears
and installing a 4.0 engine.

Funny thing is I got 16.98mpg on the run back from Wyoming
with the A/C on and the cruise control set to 70mph.

Best I ever did with the 2.9/3.73's deadheading the trailer was ~14.5
I got 17.6 dragging another Saab From West Newberry, Mass
to SouthPlainfield NJ, but that as after installing a fresh 2.9 and
switching to 4.10's (the truck was still 2wd at the time)

Do I win a prize or something?

AD

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do I win a prize or something?

AD
Only if you have pics!!

I've always maintained that the primary safety factor in towing is the DRIVER. I have towed way over GVWR and I do not enjoy it, but it was out of "necessity" at the time. I've seen way too many folks with capacity to spare and drive with loaded fifth wheels like they are driving sports cars. Sounds like you know how to stay safe!

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I've pull-started a semi on flat ground. Weighed right around 60,000 according to the driver. I used LONG nylon ropes to get as much stretch as possible. Probably about 80 feet, four cords of 3/4. Got my truck rolling along slowly in first and once the slack was gone pushed the pedal. Really didn't bog my truck much at all and got him rolling pretty quick.

Actual trailer is a lawnmower trailer, with a riding mower, a couple of those powered pushers with the little riding sled thingies, twenty weed wackers, gas, leaf blowers, and spare parts and tools. It had no brakes or even lights. Yay for Mexico.

Heaviest in the bed is my full toolbox, right around 1,400, plus some chains and a creeper. Then some godawful pile of stuff crammed into the cab. Oh yeah, and all the dirt and mud caked on the outside.

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the most i ever towed in my ranger was my dads twenty foot steel trailer with my brothers ford contour all the way from allmagordo(the tranny in his car went out when we drove it down there) it was a bitch and a half i got the worst gas milage my truck did it pretty good though and man was it a load never will i do that again. i had to do engine braking to slow me down before i pressed the brakes but other than that no major problemsbut my truck hated the load.

08Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I towed a Ditch Witch (the kind you ride, not walk behind) on a trailer big enough to put my '92 Ranger 3.0 5sp 2wd on! The whole outfit had to outweigh my truck! Of course I only took it a few miles across town and back. I wouldn't do it again though.

truckman

Reaction score
best to date is i was haulen scrap between the bed and trailer which is a 6x12 i tipped the scalles w/ 4800 lbs of scrap, we had 2100 in the back of the truck alone it wasn't a happy camper that day but my wallet sure got happy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals