• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the biggest towed?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
My trailer is the back half of an old F150 and I filled it with old railroad ties at 250lbs each. Had no problems but I took it slow and had the overdrive off.

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Didn't tow it far, but I have towed the trailer empty a few times since my F350 blew a motor. All my weight figures would be estimates, don't want to start that war again.

tidmarshsmiths5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l stock
Transmission
Manual
I wouldn't tow anything real heavy until I get it all fixed, but my buddy got stuck in a pasture in his F250 with a 16ft car trailer loaded with farm equipment.

I pulled up, grabbed a chain, threw it in 4wd low and pulled him up the hill about 200 yards to the flat where he could get out.

That was a load!

mercurymullet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
mercury
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
And I thought I overloaded my Ex...
Mine wouldn't pull over 50mph and was scary to drive...
I didn't get over 25mph. I just had to pull it to where my motorhome was parked (its normally at the house). I have pulled that trailer empty a few times, but not my first choice.

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
Towed a chevy s10 90 miles to the mechanics. He thought my little ranger couldn't do it and towed it like it was nothing. The braking was interesting....lol

veefer800canuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
3,000 lbs of jackhammered concrete stairs in an 850 Lb 5x10 steel utility trailer.

So nearly 4,000 lbs total, bone stock '94 2wd with 4.0

Weighed at the scale at the landfill. Thankfully it wasnt far out of town, and I took it REAL easy going there.

Mahgongo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
so far the heaviest i have towed is a 800# one piece slate pool table on a 5x10 flatbed trailer that weighs about 200#

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My two heavy loads:

I pulled a Case lawn tractor back to my place using my '96 on my 4x9 trailer. The tractor with wheel weights and mower deck weighs right around 1000# and the trailer itself is probably 500. The truck didn't appreciate it much and I got 14mpg on that trip. Didn't think that was possible with a 2.3.

My other was the day I bought my car trailer. It is an 18' and according to the title it weighs in at 2600#. I pulled it home with my '86. The truck didn't mind pulling it at all (it is basically an F150 with a Ranger body, after all...) but being as tall as it is and having a 14" drop receiver made for an interesting ride. Even little bumps like the lines cut in the interstate made the truck jump all over the road.

I would rather not repeat that day; I do have vehicles much more suited to the purpose but it always works out that I've got a dead battery or something at the last minute.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Here's one more that I forgot about, one of my smaller scrap loads, but the heaviest I've put in the truck. There are two complete 302's, a couple transmissions, heads, and a LOT of small stuff. I removed and kept about 400# worth and my weight ticket at the scrap yard was 1100#. The Explorer leaf springs I put in this truck sure are nice, it squats down a bit but I would have been on the bump stops easily before the spring swap.

19984x4SuperRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Chevy
Engine Size
3.0 V6, 4.3 Vortec
Transmission
Manual
hell i think i got you all beat

Rolled acrosed the scall with trailer in at 40000 pounds of scrap steel with my 2wd 98 3.0 longbed ranger haled it fine on strait aways had to gun it up hills but never lost to much power but i also jack breaked coming to lights didnt burn the clutch at all and drove for 35 miles to the scrapper

I Used to hall scrap cars for a living with a goose neck trailer with a 5.4 v8 f250 hell those loads were around 180000

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So you pulled 20 tons with a Ranger and 90 tons with an F250.

Pretty damn good.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
So you pulled 20 tons with a Ranger and 90 tons with an F250.

Pretty damn good.
Both of which had the gutless motors...I feel like he has one zero to many.

simpler=better

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mercedes
Transmission
Automatic
I towed yo momma!

Heaviest load was my 7x11 trailer with 2 motorcycles and a bed full of crap when I moved down to MD. Second heaviest was towing an S10 on a dolly. Both were fine, just drove 5mph under the speed limit and blinkers on the hills. It helped making the drives during odd hours.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals