• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the best way to identify strange hissing/chirping sound coming from engine?

Jm2576

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
I have a strange sound coming from my engine that I cant identify

I recently had a slight inconsistent idle so I cleaned the IAC valve. That helped with the idle, but a few miles down the road I got a P0171 code and at the same time I started hearing this strange noise. It sort of sounds like a chirping noise like a bad pully/belt, but also a sucking/blowing sound at the same time. the sound is not as loud near the belts. I'm not sure how to describe it. Its pretty loud and I can hear it from across the yard. It seems to be coming from the manifold area, but its hard for me to tell and you can hear it from anywhere in the engine area.

Since I recently messed with the IAC I wonder if it could be an air issue? I put a vacuum gauge on and I am getting good vacuum. Is 21 on the high side? I also sprayed some carb cleaner and didn't get any surges so I'm pretty sure its not a vacuum leak.

I took a short audio recording with my phone, but I am not able to upload it as the extension is not allowed. Anyone know how to upload an audio/video recording?

Even though I have the P0701 code, the engine runs very well. Just a strange noise.

Thanks

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
PO701 is a trans code.

I would get a mechanic stethoscope and start poking around around the intake manifold area, IAC area, anywhere air gets sucked in

Jm2576

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry...typo. The engine code is P0171: bank 1 system too lean (I corrected my original post). I'll see about picking up a stethoscope

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals