• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the best cat back for decent sound

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Damn, ya'll act like I'm going around sayin I beat turbo mustangs in my ranger or something. I never said it was going to add an insane amount of HP. how about I do whatever the hell I want to my truck and you can do whatever you want to yours. My exhaust has been broken and welded twice now and just sounds like a damn turd going down the road. I've rather have a nicer sound than PPPPLLLLBBBBBBBBBBBB (that's the sounds of me making farting noises) As for the intake, I still disagree. I don't see how hot air is getting to the air filter that's in front of the engine. Driving down the road air moves backwards, not forward. Also has anyone ever burnt their hands on their air filter? I haven't. My plan is to make a box or modify my existing box to accept the cone filter and keep this "hot engine air" out of the filter, IF it is an actual issue. I never said I was done with it. I still don't see why everyone is jumping down my throat over something I want to do. Get over it or deal with it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Did I say "Einsteins" I meant "Eisenbergs" ?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Damn, ya'll act like I'm going around sayin I beat turbo mustangs in my ranger or something. I never said it was going to add an insane amount of HP. how about I do whatever the hell I want to my truck and you can do whatever you want to yours. My exhaust has been broken and welded twice now and just sounds like a damn turd going down the road. I've rather have a nicer sound than PPPPLLLLBBBBBBBBBBBB (that's the sounds of me making farting noises) As for the intake, I still disagree. I don't see how hot air is getting to the air filter that's in front of the engine. Driving down the road air moves backwards, not forward. Also has anyone ever burnt their hands on their air filter? I haven't. My plan is to make a box or modify my existing box to accept the cone filter and keep this "hot engine air" out of the filter, IF it is an actual issue. I never said I was done with it. I still don't see why everyone is jumping down my throat over something I want to do. Get over it or deal with it.
Wow just freaking wow. This rant lacks any mechanical aptitude and logical thought. You obviously can't understand the stated point in previous post in this thread.
We have told you to do what you want (as you have stated that you will) to your truck. We are only providing information to help with your decision. A aftermarket cold air intake with the cone filter exposed is going to suck hot engine air for simple reason 90 percent of the air being drawn in is through the radiator. You will have some bypassing that area under the headlights and other misc parts. When the air hits the firewall some goes out through the bottom of the engine compartment and some hits the firewall and swirls around under the hood. Thus the hot engine air being sucked into the exposed cone filter of the aftermarket claimed cold air intake. The point is if it isn't sealed and pulling air from outside the fender then you are sucking hot engine air and robbing any potential for good gains if they are there.
I just bought and installed a stock airbox in my 2500hd. With the exposed cone intake I had 136 intake air temps at 70 degree outside temps. Now with my stock box pulling air through the fender my Iat's are 9 degrees above ambient right now.
By the way it was a full k and n cai cone setup with the half box to help prevent to much getting heat into the filter.

Last edited:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Wow
Ya'll got your head so far up your own Butts it's comical. He needs a new exhaust and asked about one that would compliment the intake he chose. It works for him, so any info other than exhaust is simply your opinion. He has stated that he knows where hot and cold air is under the hood. But ya'll insist on scienceing us to death.?

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow
Ya'll got your head so far up your own Butts it's comical. He needs a new exhaust and asked about one that would compliment the intake he chose. It works for him, so any info other than exhaust is simply your opinion. He has stated that he knows where hot and cold air is under the hood. But ya'll insist on scienceing us to death.?
Thank god someone understands where I'm coming from. BTW, I never got an answer to my original question. Doesn't matter, I found what I want. Could care less what other people think I just hate how people make you sound so far wrong that it's rude. Seems like when you ask advice on here you get a few people willing to help and then a majority of trollers and nay sayer's. We should either be part of the solution instead of part of the problem.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Like I said, they want to be right at all costs. It's not like you invented the idea of CAI and Cat/back exhaust. I have seen a million and one Rangers running some kind of aftermarket attachment to their tailpipe or intake, i.e. cherry bombs, big chrome tips, duels, K&N intake/filters. those stupid chips that's supposed to boost HP and MPG, snorkels, and none of that has made the earth stop spinning, so....

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
He has stated that he knows where hot and cold air is under the hood. But ya'll insist on scienceing us to death.?
Lol, there is no cold air under the hood. Is that too much science? :buttkick:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Lol, there is no cold air under the hood. Is that too much science? :buttkick:
Nope. But if it's not too much literature for you, you should read the whole thread
OP isn't even asking about intake, he had an exhaust question and nobody answered it. They bombarded him with general science of how intakes work. He changed his filter to something that fits his desire, and now needs exhaust work. Simple as that.:idiot:

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Nope. But if it's not too much literature for you, you should read the whole thread
OP isn't even asking about intake, he had an exhaust question and nobody answered it. They bombarded him with general science of how intakes work. He changed his filter to something that fits his desire, and now needs exhaust work. Simple as that.:idiot:
Yeah, I read it before - it's a ? show and I was just :stirthepot:

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Thanks, but I can get in deep enough on my own ?. This ain't even my thread, but it's better to actually contribute to the question being asked, than the ? show.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I put a Gibson cat-back on my Sport Trac when it was practically new. Sounded good but kinda loud, picked up a few mpg. After 7 years the Gibson rusted a hole so I went with a Flowmaster DBX from Summit. A little more mellow but makes a V6 sound as good as it ever will.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I cobbled an exhaust together from 5 different pipe reducers (stock) 90's 2.3 size I forget what size it was too 2.5 inch from the cat to a very short cherry bomb the it sweeps out in front of the axle its loud A/F and drones but surprisingly sounds like a old British touring car at 3500 to 5500 rpm and I get that popping and banging if I ride 3rd gear from like 5k with slight throttle pressure as the rpms are falling lol

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
In regards to sound, this will inevitably be very subjective as everyone hears things a little different, also different sounds appeal to different ears.

My preference is the sound of a Borla muffler. I have built 2 systems for the Ford 60° 2.9l's and they both sound liked a tuned performance engine is in front of them.

1st was a 2¼" SS through a high flow cat then 2¼ Borla Turbo muffler, ending with a Borla intercooled tip.

2nd was a 2½" SS through a high flow cat then a Borla XR1 2½" muffler with a 3" tailpipe. I didn't like the larger tail pipe so I substituted a dual outlet ("Monza") styled tailpipe, which I like very much.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals