• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the best cat back for decent sound

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So my exhaust is shot from the cat back right in the middle of the truck pretty much. I've seen a lot of exhaust kits but I don't know what these would actually sound like on a 3.0 engine. I want something to help the engine breathe better (already got a K&N cone filter) so now the exhaust needs some help. It broke at the flange after the cat and we welded it back up at work. I want a nice rumble (if possible) and I don't want it where I can't talk to the person in the seat next to me while driving. I don't want to spend more than $200 at MOST. I'd be a lot happier around $100. We got a good welder at work so we could fab it up at work no problem as long as pipe doesn't need to be bent. Anyone have any input on what some of these exhausts sound like? I just think a more throatier sound would be nice if the little 3.0 can even achieve this lol. Thanks.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Get an intermediate pipe. And tail pipe from rock auto. Then get a thrush welded muffler. Should cost around 100 if you can do it yourself. And will give you a nice little rumble without being too loud.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I had cats and no muffler on my 3.0 ran to duals. It was loud. Only reason it was on there because I bought it like that. I don't like duals on anything but a v8. Just me though.

decipha

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
bunches
Make / Model
too many
Engine Size
take your pick
Transmission
Manual
My credo
decipha
I have learned that its best to stick to stock exhaust on stock vehicles.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Obviously I don't want a stock exhaust if i'm wanting a different sound lol. Stock is boring and restrictive. I want to get the engine breathing better instead of sounding like a slow turd. Exhaust is already broken/welded/broken again/ welded again and I know the 3.0's can sound good with a full exhaust but I don't have the money for a full exhaust. I just want a good throaty exhaust. Doesn't have to be a dual exhaust either. I like true dual's not the fake ones where most of the exhaust is a single pipe. I know turbo mufflers are fairly cheap and sound decent but I'm willing to pay a little extra for a better sound. I live in central Ohio and my county does not have any kind of emissions laws or checks of any kind.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I once saw a 3.0 ranger that had 3" exhaust( not just 3" tips) and that thing sounded like a V8. but idk if it was a Catback system or from the headers???

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Obviously I don't want a stock exhaust if i'm wanting a different sound lol. Stock is boring and restrictive. I want to get the engine breathing better instead of sounding like a slow turd. Exhaust is already broken/welded/broken again/ welded again and I know the 3.0's can sound good with a full exhaust but I don't have the money for a full exhaust. I just want a good throaty exhaust. Doesn't have to be a dual exhaust either. I like true dual's not the fake ones where most of the exhaust is a single pipe. I know turbo mufflers are fairly cheap and sound decent but I'm willing to pay a little extra for a better sound. I live in central Ohio and my county does not have any kind of emissions laws or checks of any kind.
If you want the engine to breathe better, you have to open the other end up too. Just changing the exhaust isn't going to do much and in some instances actually hurts performance. As far as changing the sound, it's as easy as changing the muffler to something else with else.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
by opening up the other end are you talking about the air intake? I already did that for the most part. I had a K&N cold air intake off a Mitsubishi engine I had years ago and I was able to get the cone filter onto my stock air tube once I removed the air box. So I have the front of the engine breathing better now I just need to get it farting better lol.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
by opening up the other end are you talking about the air intake? I already did that for the most part. I had a K&N cold air intake off a Mitsubishi engine I had years ago and I was able to get the cone filter onto my stock air tube once I removed the air box. So I have the front of the engine breathing better now I just need to get it farting better lol.
Sort of. The air filter is part of it. A more efficient intake does more. Again, there are catches with that as well. For example, many "cold air" intake systems actually aren't and suck heated engine compartment air in negating any benefit they intake could other wise provide. A good system isn't going to be cheap and probably would need to be setup by someone with experience in do that. Think of an engine as a glorified air pump gases going in and out have to be matched and tuned for best performance of whatever measure you are shooting for (horsepower and/or torque) and when you want peak whatever to happen (low, mid, or high rpm). There is a lot that goes in to it.

lvwill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
265/65/17
The best cold air intake is what originally came on the vehicle

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I really can't help you with the sound. I
This ^. I am putting the stock air box back on a my truck I just bought. It's a k and n cai setup and my iat's are 136 and its not even hot outside yet. The stock box flows plenty of air.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I agree. I would like to have a snorkel for intake dust ingestion mitigation but since one doesn't exist, stock it stays.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I doubt that. Why is there such a large market for aftermarket intakes? in the last week I've had the stock air box with a stock air filter, stock air box with a K&N air filter, and now the K&N cone filter with the air box and the plastic crap removed and I've noticed the best results from the cone filter. I noticed my truck cruises better with less down shifting and it towed my trailer loaded with heavy firewood a lot easier than it used to. it's a very noticeable difference for sure. the stock air box seemed really sluggish. my next plan is to get something to help shroud the cone from the engine heat. I haven't figured that one yet but I'm not terribly worried about it.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I doubt that. Why is there such a large market for aftermarket intakes? in the last week I've had the stock air box with a stock air filter, stock air box with a K&N air filter, and now the K&N cone filter with the air box and the plastic crap removed and I've noticed the best results from the cone filter. I noticed my truck cruises better with less down shifting and it towed my trailer loaded with heavy firewood a lot easier than it used to. it's a very noticeable difference for sure. the stock air box seemed really sluggish. my next plan is to get something to help shroud the cone from the engine heat. I haven't figured that one yet but I'm not terribly worried about it.
I am having a similar discussion in a different thread (Tuners working their magic), me and you seem to be in the minority on this

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals