• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's that noise?

Desert Rat 23

Reaction score
The scorched land of Arizona, where gun toting, bi
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl. EFI
Transmission
Manual
Ok, going back to the crank pulley prob. Bought the belt and tensioner so I may as well handle it. And I'll be damned if some greasy truck gets the better of me.

still wont come off. If there are supposed to be more bolts, I cant see them. Does this thing just pull out or am I missing something? Here are some pics to maybe clarify my situation.

The bolt:

The Problem:

Do I just need to through a 3 claw puller on this and go at it?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I wouldn't, it makes more sense now, get yourself some actual penetrating oil (PB Blaster or liquid wrench, not WD40, might help though) spray it in the space around the bolt and take a rubber mallet or a dead blow hammer and give it a wack down then up then from each side, maybe it'll break it loose, it should just pull off, it's not actually pressed on. might take a few rounds with the hammer, but it should start moving.

I'd say use a 3 jaw puller, except for that ring of rubber between the pulley center and pulley so it would probably pull the outer part off...

Desert Rat 23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl. EFI
Transmission
Manual
Hell Yea! Got it off. What a bitch. Did just what you said. All I had was wd40 so I sprayed it in the key notch and all around the shaft, let it sit for a bit, warmed it up with some map gas, then smacked the stupid out of it with the dead blow. It still didn't want to give up so I took the bar from my hello kitty floor jack and tapped it from behind under the oil pan. The mallet must have broken it loose cause that thing landed in my lap after 2 taps. (hot pulley in the man junk, comical) Crazy, when I put it back on I figured I would have to hammer it on, but it just slid right on. 2 min. to put on the belt and 30 to get it up and running again.
Thanks for the info and tips. Of course the noise is still there. Going to put some sea foam in tomorrow and if that doesn't work replace the lash adjuster like you said. Only 6 bucks at autozone.

CHEERS!

Desert Rat 23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl. EFI
Transmission
Manual
No more noise! This morning I put 1/3 can of sea foam in the brake booster line, 1/3 in the crank case, and 1/3 in a gas tank that was 1/2 full. After running it for just a second or 2 my knocking noise was gone. Sounds like an engine should, finally. Took it for a spin down the freeway and the sticky throttle that I had was gone too. What is this stuff and why haven't I used it before? After I got home I was half expecting beer and cash to be pouring out of the tale pipe. But no. Oh well, a new timing belt and a truck that runs like new is good enough for me. The whole project only cost me about $40.

flaminranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
"hot pulley in the man junk, comical"
This was funny I just about fell off my chair reading this.
normally you don't hit a harmonic balancer with a hammer as it can damage the bearings.
But if you didn't tee off on it, it will probably be ok.
I have removed them before that way and no problems.
they make a puller for those types of balancers but like I said before it is probably no big deal.
thanks for the laugh
Duane

Desert Rat 23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl. EFI
Transmission
Manual
Man, I made 3 trips to the autozone just for pullers. First a HB puller with the bolts that go along the side, then back for a jav puller that wouldn't grip cause the pulley was too deep, and back again asking random people if they had any ideas. I was like a hobo begging for ideas. Ah well, lessons learned.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
there's a reason I said dead blow hammer, those things uses are endless... they smash your hands good too... :). you aren't going to hurt the bearings with a dead blow (ok, you probably could with one of those 20 pound ones with a full length handle, but there's not all that much room in the engine bay to do that...), won't even hurt the pulley

glad you got it figured out!

and on the lash adjusters, they're only $6 but you need 8 of them so it adds up... but not nearly as high as if you had a shop change them for you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals