• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's needed for a TrueTrac install?

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hi all,

I'm installing a detroit TrueTrac in my 7.5" rear with 3.73 gears... What all would I need to buy to do this? I know I need carrier bearings and races- Do I need anything else like shims?

Also, what is the best source for these parts?

Thanks in advance!!

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you swap the carrier, you are going to need to set up the ring & pinion again...

Crush sleeve, might as well do pinion bearings, races and seal while you have it apart.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I think most install kits come with shims? They shouldn't be too hard to locate, I'd get a set just because the carrier may be just different enough (people say they aren't, but I know a few thousandths can throw a differential off). Best to have a set handy just in case. You may get lucky and not need them at all.

I wouldn't touch the pinion though if nothing is currently giving you trouble, and you're not swapping out the gearset. Especially if it's slightly on a budget. But DO run a pattern check to make sure everything is contacting as it should, adjust as necessary, but I'm pretty sure your pinion depth requirements are not going to change.

Last edited:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Okay, Thanks!
So do I need anything other than the shims and the bearings/races? I'm having trouble finding a source for the bearings, but I'll keep looking. It doesn't sound like the differential will actually come with anything but the carrier, right?

Thanks again, that's a huge help!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Napa, maybe others. I got a replacement pinion bearing that I honed out for a set-up pinion bearing for my 8.8 at Autozone. Again, Googling "7.5" carrier bearings" should turn things up. I'd be really surprised if they were hard to find.

Be sure to ask for "gear marking compound" as well, and google how to use it and read gear patterns. Your gears should be close, if not still dead on. But run a coat of this stuff on them anyways just to be sure. If you have questions, we'll be here. Lots of people have asked for reassurance on their patterns the first time through, myself included.

Be sure to mark which side your old shims came out of by whatever means necessary, and put them back in on the same side. Adjust from there if necessary, it's a great baseline.

If you're SUPER careful you can technically re-use the old carrier bearings. But I've never chanced it. Bearings like these are about as precision as mass production can be. 2 new bearings are cheap compared to a ruined gearset...

I very nearly went with a tru-trac for my truck. Should be nice, hope it works well for you!

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
You can change axle seals if you want. If they're not leaking you don't have to. But you will need to pull the shafts out so be sure not to damage them in the process.

Don't take this the wrong way, buy you seem pretty green in terms of differential work. I am the worlds biggest DIY advocate, but I have to suggest you make sure to watch a number of video's and read as many articles as you can describing how to set up gears correctly. It's not particularly difficult, but it needs to be absolutely correct, or else things get expensive in a hurry.

I completely redid my Explorer 8.8, brakes, bearings, everything. The only used parts were the housing itself and the backing plates. It was close to $1,900 all said and done (and that's doing everything myself). I managed to do mine without ever taking a class or anything, and it's held for nearly 17,000 miles now. It can be done. Just read and watch videos until you're sick of reading and watching videos.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
Great choice of unit. The truetrac is a wonder.

The unit is only going to come alone as a carrier. My advice is just order the entire setup kit for the 7.5. It will come with shims, bearings/races and marking compound. You will need those three things for just the carrier replacement. Just as it comes out its going to go back in so dont mix up bearing caps and shims from side to side.

Ive installed 4 truetracs to date and all have needed no extra shims and set up perfect just as the original carrier came out. You wont need to touch the pinion or set up gears. Just watch some youtube videos and do a little research on your part of how to read the marking compound for proper gear to pinion contact. The biggest thing is putting it back together the way it came out. Same side parts with same side parts again when re installed. Do that and if anything youll only be off a tenth or two then you can adjust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals