• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's my Ranger worth?

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Hello all, new to this forum and looking for some opinions on how much this truck is worth.
I have a 1988 Ford Ranger STX extended cab 4x4 5-speed manual with the 2.9l V6 engine. Miles shown on dash are around 60k miles but the odometer has rolled and least once so it has at least 160k. Purchased this truck for a school project where I repaired the truck enough to put it back on the road. I put another used 2.9l V6 with 75k miles on it into the truck because the old motor lost oil pressure unfortunately. Replaced head gaskets on new motor and heads were milled and valves checked.
I installed many, many new parts including brake lines, front brake hoses, clutch, power steering pump, radiator, battery, front wheel bearings, front axle shaft u-joints, rear driveshaft u-joints, rear shocks, front coils, parking brake cables, and a lot more.
The body is rusty but not rotted away yet. Front drivers side fender was cut out by previous owner to make way for some new bigger tires but he ended up selling the truck to me instead of completing the project. Box/bed supports have surface rust but are solid, but the rest of the box is shot.
I am considering trying to save the cab from rotting away by repainting it, and taking the bed off and making a flatbed for it, but i don't know if it's worth it.
There are small holes in the floorboards underneath the carpet... But I hate letting it rot away because it's a rare configuration truck (extended cab, 4x4, 5 speed manual, STX package, and the 2.9l EFI V6). I also love the first gen looks and there aren't many good ones left on the road.
Like to hear some thoughts.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
It is worth exactly the amount someone pays you for it.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
;missingteeth;:iamwithstupid:
Thanks for clearing that up🤣

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a clean title in your name and you sell in the middle of the winter, maybe $1200-$1500 -IF- you can find someone that knows how to drive a standard transmission. If you swapped it over to an A4LD then maybe up to $2500-$3000 if you sold it on flea_Bay.

Rare does not mean collectable or highly sought after, they literally made probably a million of the 1983-1988 Rangers. You have a rusty not sought after Ford Ranger. The golden horde that does not know how to drive a manual transmission, if they get $2000 they will just finance a new vehicle for six years.

Since you live in NY, I would keep it to avoid paying higher insurance and taxes. Save that money, then move somewhere else.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It is worth exactly the amount someone pays you for it.
Another way of looking at the question;
it's worth what you can avoid paying for a replacement,
if you can keep it running reliably at a much lower cost.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
If you have a clean title in your name and you sell in the middle of the winter, maybe $1200-$1500 -IF- you can find someone that knows how to drive a standard transmission. If you swapped it over to an A4LD then maybe up to $2500-$3000 if you sold it on flea_Bay.

Rare does not mean collectable or highly sought after, they literally made probably a million of the 1983-1988 Rangers. You have a rusty not sought after Ford Ranger. The golden horde that does not know how to drive a manual transmission, if they get $2000 they will just finance a new vehicle for six years.

Since you live in NY, I would keep it to avoid paying higher insurance and taxes. Save that money, then move somewhere else.
Thanks for the feedback. You are a lucky man for not having to deal with the salty winters that eat vehicles up.😆 This truck would be worth far far more if it was clean. But unfortunately it's not the case.
And I didn't mean rare as in few of them made I just was meaning not many on the roads that are in decent shape anymore... At least where I'm from.
I am finishing up my last year in high school so this is my fun get around vehicle right now. I love the idea of a flatbed but not really wanting to put more money into it. IDK... Maybe once I start working full time I will sell it and get one from down south😎

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Another way of looking at the question;
it's worth what you can avoid paying for a replacement,
if you can keep it running reliably at a much lower cost.
Good point:unsure:

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly

Too bad people don't know how to drive manuals cuz they are a blast:lame:... Only thing that makes this truck so much fun to drive😁

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Welcome Rusty,

DILLARD000 makes the BEST point, roughly, what is you current monthly payment on this vehicle vs the car payment that you don't have. This truck is making you money!!!

I think if you figure how much you saving on insurance and monthly payment the modest amount if dough REQUIRED to keep it in safe running is to your advantage.

My 87 Ranger standard cab, though a few pounds lighter and with a bone stock engine was able to get 28 mpg highway and almost 25 mpg in town on 32" rubber with 6" combined lift.

Depending on how well your 2.9 is running, there is MUCHO room for efficiency improvement in a stock 2.9L; I am driving this truck with a rebuilt 2.9 built expressly for maximum torque, to yield the highest potential fuel economy. This engine has only recently been installed in this chasis but when all the bugs are worked out, I expect north of 34 mpg on the highway with 30 or very near to it in town

If the flatbed is too expensive a move, perhaps you can locate a decent replacement bed for it. You can always drive to it, bolt it on and drive home ..)

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If I ever think about getting rid of something, I think about how hard it would be to find a new one in a couple of year when I change my mind.

V6 convertible mustang? dime a dozen, could sell one every fall and buy a new one every spring.

80's pickup with rebuild engine? good luck.

I would rather park it behind my house for 6 years then sell it, because I know I will want it back sooner or later.

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
Welcome Rusty,

DILLARD000 makes the BEST point, roughly, what is you current monthly payment on this vehicle vs the car payment that you don't have. This truck is making you money!!!

I think if you figure how much you saving on insurance and monthly payment the modest amount if dough REQUIRED to keep it in safe running is to your advantage.

My 87 Ranger standard cab, though a few pounds lighter and with a bone stock engine was able to get 28 mpg highway and almost 25 mpg in town on 32" rubber with 6" combined lift.

Depending on how well your 2.9 is running, there is MUCHO room for efficiency improvement in a stock 2.9L; I am driving this truck with a rebuilt 2.9 built expressly for maximum torque, to yield the highest potential fuel economy. This engine has only recently been installed in this chasis but when all the bugs are worked out, I expect north of 34 mpg on the highway with 30 or very near to it in town

If the flatbed is too expensive a move, perhaps you can locate a decent replacement bed for it. You can always drive to it, bolt it on and drive home ..)
Any easy ways to increase effiecency without dumping more money into it?
Mine definitely is not very fuel efficient... No better than my dad's new f150

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What's your current MPG? 13/14?

Rusty88Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31 inch
My credo
Stupid is costly
If I ever think about getting rid of something, I think about how hard it would be to find a new one in a couple of year when I change my mind.

V6 convertible mustang? dime a dozen, could sell one every fall and buy a new one every spring.

80's pickup with rebuild engine? good luck.

I would rather park it behind my house for 6 years then sell it, because I know I will want it back sooner or later.
Yeah I love the truck but hate that it's all rusty... I would go ahead and try to restore what I can on it but I have a lot into so I just don't know if it is worth it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You seem to have done a lot of work already to the truck. How about the ignition system? Plugs, wires, distributor? What about your filters?

Second what size/ type of tires do you have, and what gears do you have?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals