• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's going to happen when: device no longer supported

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I won't own anything newer than my 2008 Suzuki B-king. Tuned by Dyno Jet Power Commander V.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was mainly referring to support for electronic modules. Yes, alot of hard parts are still available, but just about all of the old computers are discontinued. The 1960's Evinrude will still be going long after the 90' model is done. For instance if you loose the injector driver on your motor, with no OEM support vs if the carburetor is gummed up. If aftermarket doesn't pick up the slack your EFI motor is done.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I was mainly referring to support for electronic modules. Yes, alot of hard parts are still available, but just about all of the old computers are discontinued. The 1960's Evinrude will still be going long after the 90' model is done. For instance if you loose the injector driver on your motor, with no OEM support vs if the carburetor is gummed up. If aftermarket doesn't pick up the slack your EFI motor is done.
About 5 years ago i found a set of OEM NOS heads for it. I had a iffy plug hole so i got them. Quite a score

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's awesome you found those. Last year I had a customer with a 60's or early 70's 40hp Johnson. To my suprise a few of parts were package in vintage OMC boxes. I try my best to not work on older boats. It is usually never a win-win for me or the customer. Customers with old boats usually don't have enough money to properly fix the un-ending problems associated with old boats. I learned a long time ago, I don't feel sorry for boat owners. It's a toy.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh please, you think you will be able to get gasoline for these cars/trucks for under $15/gallon in 20 years
ICE will be dead, regardless of the year
All the model Ts to 2022's will have been converted to electric by then

All current Mechanic Shops will be doing electric conversions for 95% of their business
ICE vehicles will be relegated to parades and museums, same as horse and buggies are now

"Grandpa, did you really used to drive one of those "things" that carried 20gal of FLAMMABLE liquid around!!??"
"That must have been scary"

Hey it could happen, lol

Yes, software and electronics knowledge doubles every 18 to 24 months according to Moore's Law, even faster I think
So 10 years old is pretty old, at least 5 generations old

But if there is a enough of a market someone will come up up with a way to supply that market with what it needs
i.e. you can still get some parts for model Ts, or parts that can work but not "OEM"
Same will be true for computer stuff

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What I've seen is when an Engine\Tranny\DriveTrain & its associated required Accessories\Electronics\Parts
becomes so scarce in JunkYards\ChopShops\AfterMarket, that they can't be easily & cheaply Found\Rebuilt,
that's the real DeathNell for doing practical maintainence on a given Make\Model.
AutoMakers have no monetary incentive to support vehicles more than a few years after production.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Evinrude is dead, a few years back omc who owned both got bought out or somehow acquired by bombardiar corp (ski-doo) due to bankruptcy. Johnson outboards got the axe first as they were just a duplicate of evinrude outboards besides a decal kit & paint color. then last year or the year before evinrude production stopped. A sad ending to a over 100 year old company. I think a big part was due to warranty claims when they tried a efi system that didnt pan out. Then when the epa made large 2-cycles extinct and anything over a chainsaw engine had to be a 4-cycle it just snowballed into a money-loss. Mercury would be a safer bet on a outboard- for now.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Oh please, you think you will be able to get gasoline for these cars/trucks for under $15/gallon in 20 years

All current Mechanic Shops will be doing electric conversions for 95% of their business
ICE vehicles will be relegated to parades and museums, same as horse and buggies are now

"Grandpa, did you really used to drive one of those "things" that carried 20gal of FLAMMABLE liquid around!!??"

Hey it could happen, lol

Yes, software and electronics knowledge doubles every 18 to 24 months according to Moore's Law, even faster I think
So 10 years old is pretty old, at least 5 generations old

But if there is a enough of a market someone will come up up with a way to supply that market with what it needs
i.e. you can still get some parts for model Ts, or parts that can work but not "OEM"
Same will be true for computer stuff

or they could revert back to moonshine in certain areas, that would really piss off the feds :icon_rofl:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
That's awesome you found those. Last year I had a customer with a 60's or early 70's 40hp Johnson. To my suprise a few of parts were package in vintage OMC boxes. I try my best to not work on older boats. It is usually never a win-win for me or the customer. Customers with old boats usually don't have enough money to properly fix the un-ending problems associated with old boats. I learned a long time ago, I don't feel sorry for boat owners. It's a toy.
Mines got a leaky lower unit. Cant find anyone to work on it. How tricky is disassembling them? I watched a few youtube videos seemed rather simple but i dont wanna dive in over my head.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Ill pay 20/gallon before i buy a electro turd

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I worked on outboards from ‘88 to ‘96, mostly johnson/ evinrude from ‘50’s vintage to what was current at that time. They werent too bad to deal with overall.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What is this lower on? The 60's Johnson or something else?

As far as the more modern stuff goes, it's really not that bad, however there are lots of special tools. Keep up with any shims and know exactly where they came from.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
What is this lower on? The 60's Johnson or something else?

As far as the more modern stuff goes, it's really not that bad, however there are lots of special tools. Keep up with any shims and know exactly where they came from.
Its a 1960 Evinrude starflite II 75hp V4 2 stroke.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Honestly I really don't know what all is involved with that unit. I can't imagine it would be all that hard. All of the old motor gear cases I've been in were not bad at all. The parts may be an issue. Sorry, I'm really not able to help much with that old unit. Newer stuff, no problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals