• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whats best for Brakes...?

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Just a question:

What is best in anyones opinions on fixing brake parts?

1. Rebuild original calipers on my 1999 Ranger 2wd....though rebuild parts seem to be After Market Only.
2. Replace the OEM factory caliper with New After Market Caliper
3. Replace with Original with Original but Calipers for that Model seems to be
"Discontinued" by Ford.

Any pros or cons would be appreciated....I need to make a choice and fix the front calipers so any advice would be appreciated.

*Truck is 1999 XLT 2wd 3.0 Gas Ford Ranger 4 door.

Thanks.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If OEM is discontinued, then it's not a choice. Between rebuild or replace caliper? I would go by price and ambition, but only consider good quality parts. In other words, if the rebuild kit is only a few dollars less than a whole new caliper, then I'm not going to have the ambition to do the rebuild. I'm probably not going to spend an extra hour on the job if it only saves me $5-$10 unless I am absolutely dead broke and have to borrow the money to buy the parts so I can fix it and get to work for my next paycheck. I haven't been in that position in many years.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I rebuilt the ones on my Ranger and Mustang using new caliper pistons. If you can't get pistons, buy the reman caliper.

SRD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the Advice. I guess after review I would further define the ? as:

Is it better to keep an "Original" Ford Caliper and rebuild with After Market parts for longevity and compatability reasons or is the "After Market" version "Equal" in overall compatability and quality to the OEM. This is of course is not being concerned as much with price and time as with longevity if keeping the truck till the grave.

Anyway, thanks again for the response. If anyone has a location of where to get original Ford Calieprs New anywhere lmk....If the after market parts are fine I might just replace over rebuild then.
SRD

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
If it were me, and I had the money, I would look into what I would need for a mild upgrade. I prefer my brakes to be overkill, better to have too much than not enough.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
I worked at pep boys for 11 yrs & did brakes on thousands of cars. I replaced alot of calipers on all different makes. All were factory remans from different parts outlets. Don't remember ever having a problem with any of them.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I too have always just replaced them with whatever brand was available at the parts store. Only one time one of em froze up right away on my buddys cherokee. They replaced it free under warranty.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Ive always purchased rebuilt calipers, usually in pairs even if I was just having a issue with one. Last weekend though I only did the problem right side on the escape, those suckers are nearly $70 before core. It was hanging up and you could smell brake after a drive. Put new pads on it also, they did seem to have even wear but were about half gone. Not suprizing after all the trailer towing it’s done the past year. With my ‘93 it would eat up a set of front pads in a year easy if I towed the box trailer a lot. I noticed the estimate mpg on the escspe has gone up some too since the caliper change, makes sense since there was constant drag going on with the r.f. The last time I did the ranger brakes it got everything new up front, the rubber flex lines were bad and the bleeders were seized. I also put new steel lines on too, calipers for it arent too bad. I have ‘97 knuckles to put on so I can upgrade to dual-piston calipers, just haven’t done it yet. I’ll need new calipers, rotors & ball joints (again) Not sure when I will get to it, more pressing issues at hand right now.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Back when I was doing a lot of rebuilds and buying pre-built I would always check the bore size. I found a few where the bore was much larger than spec...

moparownr

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just a question:

What is best in anyones opinions on fixing brake parts?

1. Rebuild original calipers on my 1999 Ranger 2wd....though rebuild parts seem to be After Market Only.
2. Replace the OEM factory caliper with New After Market Caliper
3. Replace with Original with Original but Calipers for that Model seems to be
"Discontinued" by Ford.

Any pros or cons would be appreciated....I need to make a choice and fix the front calipers so any advice would be appreciated.

*Truck is 1999 XLT 2wd 3.0 Gas Ford Ranger 4 door.

Thanks.

I see you have decided to repair or replace calipers, in this situation I always go replace, its worth the money not to take apart a caliper and then reassemble it. If you have not already done so, I would replace the rotors and pads and hoses as well, nothing stops like a new brake system.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals