• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's all needed to convert from r-12 to r134a?

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Dad and I 4.0 swapped his 85 BII using a 92 ranger. All wiring, dash, and blower box is from the ranger, the only thing BII is body/chassis. So, he and I may be going to a pick and pull tomorrow. What vehicles are compatable to pull A/C parts off of?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
You're kind of asking two questions at once here: 1. What vehicles are compatable to pull A/C parts off of?
And 2. What's needed to convert R12 to R134a?

These two questions need two separate answers.

Answer to question 1: I'm not positive about this. Did the Ranger you pulled parts from have AC? Did the BII already have AC before the engine swap? If the Ranger had AC, it should've had everything you need. The only thing that might be tricky is bolting the condenser to the radiator support, since an 85 BII is a different body style than a 92 Ranger, and might have a different mounting configuration. It doesn't matter if the parts originally came from an R12 system or R134a system, they're still the same parts and will work with either refrigerant.

Answer to question 2: To convert an R12 system to R134a, you need to first obviously get all the R12 out of the system. Change the accumulator and orifice tube with BRAND NEW units only. Try to change out as many of the O-rings as you can. If some are a super big PITA to change, then don't worry about it too much (there shouldn't be any that are hard on a BII/Ranger though, so change them all). Remove the compressor and drain all the old oil out. Add a few ounces of new oil (if any part of the system had R12 with mineral oil in it, use Ester oil. If all parts were originally R134a, you can use PAG 46 oil) Add the rest of the oil to the new accumulator. Install all the other components, install the adaptor fittings on the service ports. Evacuate the system and check for leaks, and recharge. Done.

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
yes both were ac vehicles. So all we need is the accumulator, o-rings, orifices, and new oil?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
And the adaptor fittings for the service ports, and some refrigerant. That should be all you need, assuming the lines/hoses will work. I would imagine the engine bay of an 85 4.0 BII should be almost identical to a 92 4.0 Ranger, so there shouldn't be any problems with routing the hoses.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
one thing I might add here, is that you might want to change out the flexible hoses. the original 85 or 92 were designed for R12 and are probably not the barrier type hoses that the R134 systems have, and being over 20 years old won't help :) R134 has much smaller molecules and will leak out of the older style hoses a bit quicker. Not sure whether or not a 94+ hose setup will connect correctly to the 85/92 system, but worse case you might be able to have an a/c shop retrofit the existing flex hoses with a barrier type hose, or even order one already made.

Exbass has it nailed for the overall picture tho..

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I seem to recall reading somewhere when I was doing my conversion that USED R-12 hoses are OK with R134a, but new ones are not (I don't recall the exact details of why though, might've been something along the lines of the mineral oil molecules creating a pseudo-barrier within the rubber or something).

Regardless, I'd replace the hoses too for the simple reason they're 20+ years old. Any new hoses you buy today should be of the barrier type.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals