• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What would you pay for this?

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
An 88 Ranger 2wd, extended cab, 2.9L auto. Fairly decent body, some rust on the bed, may need minor work to get running. I don't have any pics just taking what my co-worker said about it. He told me to look at it an make him and offer. I'm looking at it for just the cab as long as it's good. Being a parts vehicle I'm going to say $300-500 range. I'm out of touch on the value of some of this stuff recently just getting a feel if that seems fair or I'm low balling him.

Matt

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Without pics...can't really say. If it is not running good then it is only worth about $300-400. How are the tires?..those cost money. Tranny? Can cost a lot to repair a tranny....as well as the axles and brakes...etc. Lots to look at and inspect before you buy and lots to consider the prices of parts and repairs that you will have to do. I would not get it if you can't drive it and see how everything works. You might be better off finding a truck that is in real good running shape that you can drive and repair as you go along.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
He said he's looking at buying it for just the cab so that's really all the needs to be in good shape. Around here, $300 will buy you that vehicle all day. Scrap or part the rest out and you MIGHT just make all your money back.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a running with working A/C 88 2.9 Fm146 1350M for 700.

Running, and decent would normally go for 1000 - 1200 around here.

If its just for parts and it doesnt run, I would say1-300 depending on condition.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't think you're low balling him, sounds about right. I'm in agreement with straycat though. My '88 is perfectly fine mechanically except for the A/C. To do it right, I'd have to spend $500 to get it going. I'm never going to do it because I'd never, ever recoup any of the money I'd spend on it. Prices here are in line with what country0001 said.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
He said he's looking at buying it for just the cab so that's really all the needs to be in good shape. Around here, $300 will buy you that vehicle all day. Scrap or part the rest out and you MIGHT just make all your money back.
Yea, I know. But he is going to have to scrap it and that is a lot of work and trouble to buy something just for a bed. He can get a bed at a scrapyard. I said what I said as he is gonna have a scrap truck sitting around and there is a lot of issues he needs to think about before he buys a hunk of junk that needs a lot if he wants re-sell it.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
My feeling on price seems about right then. I planned on spending money on buying a cab somewhere already, and the exact idea was buy the truck, scrap the rest and practically get the cab next to free. Depending on the energy I have, he said it has a rebuilt engine with less than 2000mi on it and a fairly recent rebuilt trans so some things could be parted out. He parked it some years ago due to no need for it and has been "in his way" since. It will be a few weeks til I get a chance to look at it, but if it comes home it's part of the my sig below and will start an interesting build.

Matt

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buy it for $300-$400, cannibalize what you want and scrap it. You will come out even if you do.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I resemble that truck, Oops... ok, somewhat.

slc10844

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you plan on using the whole cab you might want to make sure you get the title and a bill of sale. The local MVA may have to issue a new title and vin plate.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
Not worried about any of the legalities, it will never see the street unless on a trailer. Should be good to go. The guy is a pretty honest straight shooter and being I have to work with him on a daily basis i didn't want offend him with lowball offer. He seems to just want rid of it but I will still offer him the going rate for something of the condition.

Matt

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Not worried about any of the legalities, it will never see the street unless on a trailer. Should be good to go. The guy is a pretty honest straight shooter and being I have to work with him on a daily basis i didn't want offend him with lowball offer. He seems to just want rid of it but I will still offer him the going rate for something of the condition.

Matt
i'd ask how much he really wants for it..that way you know how attached he is to it or if he just likes to get top dollar for his stuff. do it the american pickers way and at the end jump in and be like, there isn't enough meat left on the bone for me, i'll think about it and walk away. :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals