• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What would you do?

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm running a '92 Ex EB on 2" spring lift front and rear and 34x10.50s... I really like the combo- it's aggressive, yet subtle. However, after the ride this past weekend, I feel I need more belly clearance.

I've been planning to wait until I do a SAS to get more lift because of the expense of the TTB lift kits, although I've basically broken it down to as little as I can, to minimize the amount spent on equipment that I already know I won't be keeping for long.

Buying new, I'm looking at about $460 (plus shipping) for the bracket kit and coil springs. I'm thinking I could resell them for a couple hundred bucks, but I'm trying to decide whether I can justify all the work and expense involved in an axle drop when I plan to do the D44.

The benefits, to me, would be:

1.) I'll have the clearance NOW
2.) Having the clearance now would enable me to take my time on the D44 swap
3.) I could also focus on the extra aspects of my Ex to make sure everything else is where I want it to be, not driving a junky POS with a SAS
4.) I'll have the clearance NOW (I'm not very patient)
5.) I won't be pushing myself harder and harder to get everything together for the D44/9" and do some rushed together hacked up swap just so I can get it taller sooner.
6.) I can hopefully get the Jeeps to STFU about me dragging my frame over everything.

The cons:

1.) The expense that I obviously won't fully recover from the sale of the parts
2.) It's no quick work to do an axle drop / SOA just to tear it all down in about a year

I'm a single father (with custody) so time is a bit of a luxury and money sure doesn't grow on trees. Otherwise, the lost $200-300 in the brackets and springs wouldn't get a second thought.

What do you guys think? Do you think I could recover enough of the bracket/spring money in resale to justify the move? Should I just be patient and wait? What would you do?

derekj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4wd
Transmission
Manual
I eventually would like to SAS my truck but I am impatient as well. Doing a solid axle swap will take way more time than installing a lift. I just put in a lift kit and we will see what happens down the road. Do the lift and get out wheeling:icon_thumby:

Derek

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I would just put a lift on (the ttb lifts are dirt cheap... I hate you :thefinger: ) and take the time and plan your sas slowly, give yourself time to find really good deals, research, and build up a really strong set-up that you won't have to redo for quite some time.

I too am extremely impatient, especially considering I have my 5.13's for the d44 sitting in my barn, and my toy steering box all begging to be shoved in; but I know that if I try to rush it, I'll halfass it, take shortcuts and in the end, regret it. Just gonna take it slow and get the basics I need done, done.

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I would do the lift now... just because then you can take your time and get your solid axle swap done well and right. You will be kicking yourself (even though I'm sure you will still do a good job either way) if you rush it and don't do exactly what you want the first time round... you would have to spend more time in the long run getting it where you wanted it in the first place.

You can tell I'm a fan if doing it the way you want it and doing a good job the first time.

phatdaddy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/1988
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
460/ 2.9
Transmission
Manual
The expense that I obviously won't fully recover from the sale of the parts
thats just part of four wheeling,its worth it because if you rush and are not ready for the swap it will take a lot longer.

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
id watch the classifieds and craigslist like a hawk. I bought my lift for $200 used off of craigslist and he threw in hubs two driveshafts. you can also watch for a eb 44 or whatever you plan to use for the SAS. great deals are out there. I learned alot from installing my lift and it will be good experience for future mods. or hack a bunch off of the fenders and roll larger tires. and really a SOA is less than an afternoons work if ya got the tools and the know how. good luck

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, as it is, I'm running 34x10.50s on a 2" lift. I love it because it's very subtle and most people don't give it a second glance, but people who know... know.

I've done a manual transmission conversion (wanted to, but unexpectedly dove right in when the A4LD crapped out) with all new clutch, cylinders, etc and it looks factory (except where I cut too much carpet) because I prefer to take the better route and not have to make excuses as to why things are abnormal.

The 2" lift came off my Ranger. When I first started on the Ex it was supposed to be a temporary thing until my son's mom started actually paying child support and I could have enough money free to build a Jeep. I was originally planning to put the 31s from my Ranger, but a buddy offered me these 34s and wheels for $350 (mounted and all) and the next day, someone stopped and offered me $300 for my 31s. Tell me you wouldn't have taken that deal! So anyway... I still haven't seen a dime from my son's mom, but I've REALLY taken to the Ex and I've put a whole lot of time in it. I love that my girlfriend and I can take my son on the trails and have ice cold air conditioning while we're out!

I have trimmed a good bit out of the fenders and pushed the poly inner fender about as far back as it'll go without coming out completely. 34s are definitely the limit at 2" lift. The issue is the belly clearance.

I'm thinking about finding a set of 4" brackets (Superlift sells the same brackets for the 4" and 5.5" lift) and a pair of 5.5" springs, then going SOA in the back. Then, when I go to the SAS, I'll use 4" springs and on 37s it'll be about the same height. I know I need the belly clearance now, but my fear is going too high. I threw away the swaybars before I even drove it the first time. It already gets a little squirelly with a good side draft.

I'm leaning toward finding a set of used brackets, despite that I absolutely hate getting secondhand lift equipment- never know what the PO did as far as abuse, cutting, etc. If I can find the equipment secondhand, I won't hesitate to make the move as long as it doesn't dig into Christmas funds.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys. My tendency has been to do things right and I'm trying to get it in my head that the SAS is going to be a long while before I can have it all ready. I'm just so impatient... even threw in an extra $25 at the fab shop just to have my bumper completed a day earlier so I could have it for a weekend trail ride instead of the following Monday.

Here's my rig, by the way... the only difference is that today I FINALLY found a locksmith who was able to pick the locks on the kayak rack and I got rid of it entirely.

See what I mean about needing belly clearance?

93Ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
93, 96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Thats a nice exploder you have there!!
I would just go for the lift, just like everyone else said, it's gonna take a while to be ready for the sas, have fun with it while you can before you tear into it for a SAS.

Freshmeat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for the complement. It's definitely been a lot more fun than I expected!

Believe me- I'll be wheeling the piss out of it either way! I'd just rather not have to go WOT on all the break-overs just to not high center. I can't tell you how many roots my frame and pinch seam snapped through on the last ride!

I found an old Ranger with a 6" Superlift kit on Craigslist for $500. I'm going to check with the guy and see if it sold. If not, I may try to offer him about $300 if everything looks like it's there.

I appreciate you guys directing me to CL- I hadn't even thought of it. I'll be keeping an eye there and see if I can get lucky.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals