• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What would you change on a motor with 180K?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a used Tempo that is in a lot better shape than my red one. Made a mistake when I bought it because it was leaking some trans fluid (pan gasket is leaking), but later I noticed it spewing oil onto my garage floor. Rear main; same problem with my Red one but this one is much worse.

I have pulled the engine out of the car, from the top. :D Lets just say that it was not easy, but possible..

Got the oil pan ripped off. Planning on changing the water pump, oil pump, and rear main. The oil is somewhat baked on and cruddy on the mains. Would it be worth while to check the main and rod bearings, with the notion that's it's possible for a small chunk to comtaminate what I am working on? Cam looks decent. Engine ran like crap, but 130~135PSI on all cylinders. Had KOER codes, but I had the FEAD off to replace the harmonic balancer so couldn't run it for long at all. Found lots of vacuum leaks. Deleteing the A/C and vapor canister crap.

Going to check the timing chain slack, but would it be worth while to replace the front seal? A part of me wants to do it right, but the other half doesn't want to spend a lot of dough on this beater..

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Is this the 2.3 or the 3.0?

Either way, though, sounds like you've got it covered with replacing parts...especially seals...

My 89 Tempo had the 2.3 and I think I clocked just over 350,000 KM before the engine was replaced (and it didn't actually need a new engine)...they are good little cars...but a bit heavy for the HP that Ford allotted them...with the 2.3...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's the 2.3L OHV 4 Banger. Just ordered a timing chain/tensioner set and new head light assemblies. Got most of the A/C crap out and the delete bracket came in the mail. Going to check valve lift and bearings this weekend and finally get moving on this thing. Was supposed to be on the road before my tags expired on my Red car (they expired a couple of days ago)! :icon_surprised:

They are good little cars, no doubt about that. :) Ugly, but they are reliable daily drivers! They are very common here, that is usually a good sign.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My 89 had A/C and it only stopped working when I really needed it...didn't think about taking it out because that was about the time I bought my first Ranger and started learning on that...

If you ever need to change the heater rad core...if you haven't already done one it's best to do it with the engine out...just in case you have that option now...they are much harder to do with the engine in...unless you have a hoist...and skinny arms...

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
unless you have a hoist...and skinny arms...
I have both, but I will take your word for it. Hahaha Will add that to the list, know these cars are somewhat prone to heater core leaks, assumed it would have been like my Mustang, where the whole dash had to come out to get to the heater core.. in the evap box..

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I have both, but I will take your word for it. Hahaha Will add that to the list, know these cars are somewhat prone to heater core leaks, assumed it would have been like my Mustang, where the whole dash had to come out to get to the heater core.. in the evap box..
Those attributes help...lol...

It is almost like a Mustang...the inside part of it...but for some reason they turned the engine sideways and pushed it back towards the firewall...I guess it was to get that huge exhaust header in there...

I remember when I first joined TRS I was asking about putting the Tempo engine in the Ranger...:icon_rofl:

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Think it would bolt up to a 3.0L transmission, wouldn't it? I thought about that also!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals