• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what would cause uneven pad wear?

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
in an attempt to save money i started doing my own work on the truck. today i was checking my brakes out and i noticed that my inner pad on the driverside had uneven wear to it.

the outer pad on the driver side seems to have even wear and alot more life left and the both passenger side pads have even wear however the inner does appear to be thinner then the outer. i was wondering what would cause the pad to wear like this? should it be replaced or can i just switch it with the outer pad?

also while i had the wheel off i noticed this, im not really sure what it is, i just know that it looks like it needs to be replaced so if someone could help me out and tell me what it is, thank you.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Things that can cause pad wear like that is sticking caliper slide pins, sticking caliper piston, or the pads are stuck in the rattle clips where they are supposed to freely slide.
Clean and lube the slide pins with synthetic caliper grease, and when you replace the rattle clips that go on the caliper bracket, take a wire brush and clean up where they sit, rust can accumulate and cause the pads to stick. I like to apply some never seize under them and on the tabs on the brake pad that rides on the rattle clips.

The second picture is the dust boot is torn on your outer tie rod end. With it like that it is allowing moisture and dirt inside which will cause the joint to wear out or seize.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
^^Ditto...had a set wear clear off because I didn't grease the slide pins...

goldxlt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thank you, i will give that a shot

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals